[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eskimos/Inuits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

Was there ever a systematic displacement or, for lack of better words, genocide of the Eskimo, Inuit, or any other far-northern indigenous group in Canada or Alaska?
From what I know, there wasn't, but I admittedly know little about their history.
How were they affected by European colonization of the New World compared to the First Nations, the Civilized Tribes, etc.?
>>
>>3393893
We don't need to genocide them, just give them alcohol and they will do all the work.
>>
>>3393893
Not that I know of.

Most stories are about white people trying to get food or medicine to them. Outside of that only the missionaries were really interested in the arctic.

Which may have been why nobody tried to kill them. Really what do you gain by going on a genocidal campaign against the Inuit? Not like you can put up farms out there.

>>3393897
They don't die, they just fuck the next generation right up.
>>
>>3393897
Inuits are superior to europeans though.
>>
>>3393927
The AkKunakfront fags have arrived.
>>
>>3393897
Cultural genocide tends to make people turn to alcohol, Anon.
>>
>>3393920
>Really what do you gain by going on a genocidal campaign against the Inuit?
I guess you could have a monopoly on Arctic whaling and walrus ivory, but I guess they weren't too concerned about it when they had more-or-less unrivaled access to Atlantic whaling and elephant ivory in the genocide-y times, though.
>>
>>3393962
Whalers liked warmer water from what I know. Wooden boats and ice aren't a good mix.

Even if you did go up there the chances of running into an inuit would be pretty remote I think. Not a densely populated place.

>>3393949
>Cultural genocide

Did they get shipped off to residential schools? Who the hell went out and got them? That's going above and beyond.
>>
File: residential-school.jpg (186KB, 1180x664px) Image search: [Google]
residential-school.jpg
186KB, 1180x664px
>>3393893
A lot of them were taken in by jesuits for conversion futher south and were never brought back to their families as promised. They were mostly left alone as they kept to themselves and inhabited regions that europeans where either not ready to conquer yet or had no interest in. Most of their contacts with europeans boils down to trading hides and teaching them various things to help them in the cold tundras, a good example would be snowshoes but that wasn't limited to inuts only since hurons had them too.
>>
>>3393893
There's a lotta accusations of "cultural genocide" from the Canadians, similar the schooling and forced adoption programs the amer-indians experienced down south, and a constant encroachment and depletion of hunting grounds, though the inuit are so migratory I suppose you couldn't call it "loss of territory".

On the other hand, an incident of what some have referred to as "reverse colonialism" blaming the Inuit, at least in part, for kicking the Vikings outta Greenland:
https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/reverse-colonialism-how-inuit-conquered-vikings
>>
>>3393984
Fergot adorable pic.
>>
>>3393978
Was that intentional or was it merely due to the difficulty of returning them to a relatively nomadic group of people in the middle of a very inhospitable place?
Also, was that primarily in Canada, or was it both Alaska and Canada?

>>3393984
Think that would have happened if the Vikings were still in their warrior ways of the pre-1300's, or if they had more sizable settlements there?
>>
>>3393893
Nothing to the degree of American handling of the natives in the West, but IIRC after WW2 the Canadian government did some forced relocation of native tribes to new settlements significantly further north in order to stake a claim to those far northern islands Canada owns.
>>
>>3393920
>They don't die,
you've never seen Nunavut's murder or suicide rates I guess
>>
>>3393977
>Did they get shipped off to residential schools? Who the hell went out and got them?
Residential schools occured in the 20th century. I don't know the logistics, but in the age of cars and planes, it is perfectly possible.
Even if they didn't, forcing them to leave their land when it's the only habitable land in the north is just awful. Whale populations are sustainable through moderate hunting. It's not like they were going full New Englander and massacring sperm whales. The whole 'muh babby seal' nonsense is ridiculous and needs to stop. Bad business practices kill far more seals, and polar bears, and whales, and what have you, than hunting.
There are times that I'm convinced that 'climate change' was created to make oil tankers more efficient.
>>
File: The sickest shades.jpg (33KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
The sickest shades.jpg
33KB, 500x250px
>>3393995
Difficulty mostly.
>take child for conversion and agree to return him
>inuits agree to this because they believe white man probably has some sort of magic to track you down
>part ways with young inuit boy
>fast foward a couple of years
>inuit kid is good christian boy now
>even speaks english
>bring him back to his family
>they're not there
>lolwat
>forget inuits are nomadic as fuck and have giant territories
>family could even be in unmapped territory by now
>not much chance meeting other inuits to ask whereabouts because low density population
>even if you did your only translator is a kid
>decide to keep them after all
>>
>>3394008
It's pretty hard to say alcohol is making them kill each other and themselves. A contributing factor, sure, but an instrument of genocide, that's a bit much.

>>3394010

I looked it up. First school for them was opened in 1951 after they became settlement based. So my dream of missionaries running around on dog sleds all over the arctic abducting children is sadly false.

http://pauktuutit.ca/abuse-prevention/residential-schools/
>>
>>3393893
No, but there should've been. Inuits are murderers, cannibals, drug addicts and alcoholics, and should be rounded up and shot until the Earth is rid of the Inuit plague
>>
>>3394050
Super rude, please consider deleting this post.
>>
>>3394050
>cannibals
Even if the others are stereotypes with truth to them, I highly doubt that bit, even historically.
>>
>>3394050
They were disgusted when they found a group that had fallen to cannibalism due to desperation and madness from the cold and hunger.
They had no drug or alcohol problems before 'cultural genocide' and access to alcohol and drugs.
Murder is debatable.
>>
>>3394078
>I highly doubt that bit, even historically.

I'm not so sure.

I can't think of a group of people who so regularly faced starvation which is what generally leads to cannibalism.
>>
File: donner.jpg (43KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
donner.jpg
43KB, 500x353px
>>3394189
Ritual cannibalism usually follows a population explosion brought on by agricultural advancements, coupled with an inability to maintain the result, or, on occasion, the result of particularly violent tribal conflicts resulting in the tradition of eating one's enemies.

Inuits never had an agricultural explosion, and were rarely described as warriors. So, while I'm sure there's some incidents of cannibalism out of desperation, it's doubtful it was ever ritualized, and more akin to Donner party incidents.

Though, there was apparently an incident where some Inuit found the remains of the Franklin Expedition and were horrified to find that it was the Europeans that had practiced cannibalism on one another, and this lead to a spur of tales among the Inuit, who had never seen Europeans, of tall, pale, hairy, cannibalistic men. Didn't help that the first such Europeans they did meet were maddened by scurvy, botulism, and desperation, and raving in a language the Inuit couldn’t understand, sleeping for days in the hollowed-out corpses of seals. And, apparently, even after the local Inuit tried to help them, they still ended up eating one another, much to the native's horror, so the story goes.
>>
>>3394308
>it's doubtful it was ever ritualized, and more akin to Donner party incidents.

That's what I imagine. Cannibalism out of desperation, not out of habit. I just imagine inuit as a people being put into that state of desperation far more often than any other peoples on earth given the incredibly hash land they lived in and all the tales I recall reading about people finding them either starving to death after having eaten their dogs, or just corpses of families who starved to death.
>>
>>3393978
they look well-behaved
>>
>>3393927
not at all, they have the same problem as all other natives which is fucking ZERO alcohol tolerance. they are a bunch of alcoholic drug addicts leeching off the government just like all the others
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.