[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would he have been judged as a war criminal had he been kept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Isoroku_Yamamoto.jpg (155KB, 983x1421px) Image search: [Google]
Isoroku_Yamamoto.jpg
155KB, 983x1421px
Would he have been judged as a war criminal had he been kept alive until the end of the war? I'm not sure he qualifies, but then again Yamashita was executed because Macarthur was still butthurt so...
>>
>>3393356
Yes
>>
>>3393356
Didn't Yamashita was responsible for how horribly the PoWs were treated?
>>
>>3393356
Using the Yamashita standard, there are not many generals in history that would not be executed. If you used it.
>>
>>3393387
No.
That was pure "Victors' Justice"
>>
>>3393387
Nope. He actually got diplomatically exiled to the Siberian Border for the rest of the war because he hung some soldiers for mistreating PoWs.
>>
>>3393387
No. He wasn't even in the Philippines during most of the Japanese occupationand was actually against japanese mistreatment of civilians. He was judged responsible for war crimes that occured during the japanese retreat when all lines of communications were disrupted and he had no way of knowing what his troops were doing. This set a standard for command responsibility that the US proceeded to ignore during the Korean war when their own troops exacted war crimes on civilians.
>>
>>3393414
I meant Vietnam war, but I suppose the Koran war could apply too
>>
>>3393419
Or any war, frankly. Is there any war where there are not any soldiers that commit any war crime?
>>
>>3393425
Anglo-Zanzibar war.
>>
>>3393425
The problem is not whether soldiers commit war crimes, but whether their commander is responsible for their actions regardless of him actually knowing about it.

The US seem to favor the latter, except when they're the one at fault of course.
>>
>>3393356
If he was alive, he'd be tried for crime against humanity due to his role in attack on pearl harbor, tho I don't think he'd be hanged for that
>>
>>3395451
But Pearl Harbor doesn't qualify as crimes against humanity. It barely even qualifies as a war crime, being a valid military target and all. Yamamoto isn't directly responsible for waging a war of agression either, the Japanese government under Tojo was. I can't really find any valid grounds to prosecute the guy by today's standards, but I have no idea how it'd have happened post-WWII
>>
>>3395517
It's not about Pearl Harbor. It's about his force attacked Pearl Harbor without Japan declaring the war
>>
>>3395296
The point is that if you use the American standard to judge their enemies, every high commander in every war will be considered a war criminal.
>>
>>3393419
The Korean was was absolutely full of war crimes. 1/4 of the North Korean population was killed in the bombing campaign.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.