[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

South Vietnam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 932875293658635.png (514B, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
932875293658635.png
514B, 900x600px
The "why did the USA lose Vietnam" is done do death, so I'd like to discuss South Vietnam itself.

1. What was the South Vietnamese military like compared to the North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong in terms of weapons, strength, morale, and capabilities. Who had better commanders?

2. Why and how did South Vietnam get overrun? Did they run out of will to fight? Why wasn't the South Vietnamese military able to hold back Northern forces?

3. Why was there no pro-Western counterpart to the Viet Cong operating in North Vietnam?
>>
>>3393128
>Why and how did South Vietnam get overrun? Did they run out of will to fight? Why wasn't the South Vietnamese military able to hold back Northern forces?
Their entire doctrine relied on American supplies of weapons and ammunition and Air Force help in the case of Northern re-engagement. Then the North Vietnam indeed re-engaged and Americans just pussied out and did nothing.
>>
>>3393128
>1. What was the South Vietnamese military like compared to the North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong in terms of weapons, strength, morale, and capabilities. Who had better commanders?

Better armed than the VC, but literally no training because they could not be bothered half the time. Most of them were drug addicts, who didn't give a fuck and avoided fighting at all costs, highly distrusted by the Vietnamese population and the American forces likewise. Officers were highly useless and corrupt to the very top. No moral or reason to die unlike the Cong and NVA who were not only willing to die in the line of duty, but purposefully sacrifice themselves by suicide bombing American forces or using themselves as human decoys/shields regularly.

Or that's what picture I built up from reading eyewitness accounts from grunts that were in 'Nam
>>
>>3393292
t. burger faggot
>>
>>3393128
USA lost vietnam in name only, they chose to leave.
>>
>>3393322
Delete this comment right fucking now, this thread is about South Vietnam.
>>
>>3393128
>1. What was the South Vietnamese military like compared to the North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong in terms of weapons, strength, morale, and capabilities
In some cases, it was even behind the VC during some stages of the war. The Americans weren't using the modern Counter-Insurgency playbook, and so they saw arming and training the VC as unimportant, because their troops were better. So they didn't actually supply arms for the SVA to adopt an automatic rifle, while the VC were getting AKs from China and Russia.
>>
Dang I'm drunk as fuck right now but I'll ask my grandfather why some time later if you want a firsthand account.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.