[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Peninsular War

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: Sharpes_Eagle_PB.jpg (52KB, 288x460px) Image search: [Google]
Sharpes_Eagle_PB.jpg
52KB, 288x460px
What are some good shows, documentaries, books, or movies based off of this war?
>>
>>3392556
If you mean the napoleonic wars in general, there's plenty of decent to exceptional naval fiction around.
Exceptional would be the Aubrey-Maturin series, which is a must read regardless of tastes.
Decent would be Lord Ramage, Bolitho and Hornblower.
The only movies I know are Master & Commander, which is an Aubrey-Maturin pseudo-adaptation, and The Duelists.
>>
>>3392581
I should have made the thread more about the Napoleonic Wars, but I really wanted to find some stuff about the Peninsular specifically.
>>
>>3392589
I'm pretty sure you're shit out of luck then. Unless you're fine with biogrphies, I read Holmes' Iron Duke and it was nice.
Sadly in spite of the amount of attention it gets due to Sharpe, the Peninsular campaign was pretty much a sideshow.
>>
File: 8233975.jpg (71KB, 234x355px) Image search: [Google]
8233975.jpg
71KB, 234x355px
>>3392556
Adrian Goldsworthy has a historical fiction series but no idea if it's any good.

>The year is 1808 and Hamish Williams is a 'gentlemen volunteer' in the 106th regiment of foot, a man serving with the ranks but living with the officers and uncomfortable in both worlds: looked down on by those with the money or influence to buy their rank and distrusted by the common soldiers who know he is not one of them.

>But Williams is determined to prove by deeds alone that he is a man worthy of advancement and when the 106th embarks for Portugal to begin what will become known as the Peninsula War against Napoleon, he knows his chance of glory is at hand. Soon he is receiving a sharp lesson in the realities of war, as the 106th undergoes a bloody baptism at the hands of the French - and he realises that his single-minded devotion to honour may not, after all, be the quickest route to promotion
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.