[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were ancient vikings muslims?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: web-viking-ring.jpg (65KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
web-viking-ring.jpg
65KB, 1024x768px
As far as rings pulled out of the ground go, it didn’t look all that flash. Made from a dark, tarnished metal and set with what was thought to be an amethyst, it seemed to distinguish the Norse woman it was buried with as well-off, little more.

The metal was revealed to be a silver alloy, the stone, just a piece of coloured glass. It had obviously passed through a few hands before reaching its final owner, with wear marks visible both on the glass and the metal. The inscription, written in an ancient Islamic script read either ‘For’ or ‘To Allah’.

In the span of history, the Norse trade with the Abbasid Caliphate represents just a single, quick moment. Yet it is something that we must not forget in an age when tribalism and nationalism are again on the ascent, and Far Right descendants of the Norse are adopting their imagery in the service of hate.

http://mike-stuchbery.org/index.php/2017/08/05/a-ring-some-coins-a-journey-across-the-world/
>>
File: 1497621197210.jpg (4KB, 180x198px) Image search: [Google]
1497621197210.jpg
4KB, 180x198px
>>3390534
>Viking age
>ancient
>>
>>3390534
>Yet it is something that we must not forget in an age when tribalism and nationalism are again on the ascent, and Far Right descendants of the Norse are adopting their imagery in the service of hate.
i dont really get what the fuck does that have to do with anything
>>
>>3390534
One of my favorite modern narrative
>>
>>3390534
>The inscription, written in an ancient Islamic script read either ‘For’ or ‘To Allah’.
Im guessing she just thought it looked pretty and probably didnt understand what it actaully meant
Also as to if 'vikings' were muslim, it would be stupid to assume that none were (taking viking to mean any norse person in the viking age), but to make the leap that it was a big part of their society is.
>>
>>3390534
>viking barbarians traded with islamists
>take that uncucked scandinavians
what a fucking faggot that guy is
offa of mercia minted coins in england based on abbasid dinar, some of which say 'there is no god but allah' on the back
clearly these europeans simply liked the pattern created by the arabic text (and were unable to read it, of course), which few would deny lends itself very well to calligraphic art

>vikings traded precious stones with the islamic world 1,000 years ago, therefore you are an uneducated hypocrite if you think modern scandinavia has an issue with muslim immigrants
do people seriously fall for this shite?
>>
>>3391134
pic related
>>
>>3390534
>people who were known to have trade routes leading to the middle east had middle eastern things
>THEY MUST HAVE BEEN MUSLIMS
>>
This shit is too much. But it does remind me of how much I love The 13th Warrior
>>
>>3390534
I wasn't crazy about the political spin in the last paragraph but that was an interesting read about trade
>>
Roman coins have even been found in Japan if i recall correctly.

But it doesnt mean Hiro and Daishi were talking around with Togas threatening to salt the earth.

That said, its very fascinating at how interconnected trade and travel was even in those days.
>>
>>3390534
>Were ancient vikings muslims
no, but the modern are :^)
>>
File: Lakshmi Statuette.jpg (2MB, 1398x2778px) Image search: [Google]
Lakshmi Statuette.jpg
2MB, 1398x2778px
>>3391346
>pic related
>found at pompeii
romans waz designated
>>
>Vikings were muslim
All right, if they were muslim then where are all the 1000 year old mosques? They have 1000 year old Christian churches up there, and ruins from Viking temples, but I don't think any of their mosques are older than 60 years.

Some idiot tried to tell me most of the Southern USA were muslim too. I told him to show me the antebellum mosques and he quickly shut the fuck up.
>>
>>3391496
>All right, if they were muslim then where are all the 1000 year old mosques?
have you seen the churches of the snow niggers?that shit looks like a favella, im sure that ive they had mosques it wouldve been similar
>>
>>3391500
Then find me some archaeological evidence that it was used as a mosque. Fossilized prayer mats or an old ass Koran or something. Or an account by a local at the time confirming it as a mosque. Any historical evidence at all.
>>
>>3390534
i fucking hate this world so goddamn much
>>
>>3391518
>sven scared that history repeats itself
>>
>take one single ring
>rewrite all history

Do you know the Fat Lady Thaler?
It was the main currency in Ethiopia and East Africa in the 19th
There was hundred thousand of these coins there
Does it make Ethiopia an Austro-Hungarian colony?
>>
>>3390534
No, they worshipped RA like all their BLACK brethren.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.