[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a libertiaran so I appologize for being a faggot here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I've been thinking lately ever since I went back to school a few weeks ago on something that has to involve Russia. I'm taking Imperial Russian history from 987 to the present which also involves the history of the USSR and current events surrounding Russia and Ukraine.

My question is, is Russian culture inherently authoritarian and collectivist? Are Russians in general authoritarian and its just their nature? I don't believe in biological determinism well it depends of course, if we are talking about some cultures from Arabia or Africa, yes the cultures can determine that outcome.

I guess I ask this because well I don't believe that Russians are inherently collectivist or authoritarian because as a lolbertarian I think that governments under any banner can be oppressive no matter if its Russian or not.

Since 4chan doesn't like it when I type too much I will continue to explain this in a comment.
>>
>>3389577
99% of their population or something were serfs for centuries, its ingrained in their culture to be cattle
>>
I don't believe that Russians are inherently collectivist or authoritarian in nature because I believe any society can be collectivist and authoritarian if under the right circumstances. Also I don't believe that Russia as a state is unique in the sense of totalitarianism because you don't need the Russian state as something to give an example of totalitarianism because there are plenty of autocratic regimes that don't follow the Russian tradition and who gets to decide if a totalitarian regime follows the Russian tradition?
I think that's bullshit because states can be oppressive regardless if its Russian or not.

Look at Maoist China, Mao despised Stalin and the later Soviet Union for its "revisionist" policies ironically towards Stalinism but the point is shouldn't we instead blame Marx and Engels for this ideology of communism? It doesn't take the Russian state in order to make communism oppressive and totalitarian in nature.
>>
>>3389591
So was much of Western Europe and in some cases they developed a totalitarian culture and a mentality that didn't need Russia to help them with.
>>
>>3389577
Explain the Novgorod Republic
>>
>>3389598
OP here. I don't understand much about the Novgorod Republic.
>>
>>3389600
Novgorod was established in the 12th century as a mixed merchant republic and was ahead of Europe as far as self-determination goes.
>>
>>3389618
Oligarchic republic
>>
Yes. Fuck Russia. Russia hasn't done anything good ever! This isn't bait btw in case you Putinbots are wondering.
>>
Russians believe that a large part of their culture is about patriotism, violence and needing an authoritarian figure at the top.

This of course isn't true at all, it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when you believe in it.
>>
>>3389577
Golden Horde, Tsars, Communism
>>
>>3391466
>>3391524
Can't that mindset develop anywhere else besides Russia?
>>
>>3389577
>is Russian culture inherently authoritarian and collectivist?

Russia's culture is simultaneously authoritarian and extremely individualistic, and it's authoritarianism stems directly from it's individualism. The main concerns of Russia's rulers are usually not collectivistic (how do I make Russia a great country, how do I improve lives of ordinary Russian citizens and so on) but individualistic (how do I make sure I will stay in power for as long as possible, how do I loot as much money as I can, how to thwart any criticism of me and so on). In other words, since everyone in Russia cares only about themselves, they view political power only as to tool to make themselves personally better off, rather than to increase the welfare of Russia's population as a whole. And this leads to authoritarianism, since rulers are the best off in authoritarian countries. But authoritarian rulers often use collectivist rhetoric in which they themselves don't believe, which makes foreigners think that Russian culture is collectivistic. I think the same is true for virtually all authoritarian countries. Corrupt, totalitarian countries are usually very individualisitic, but have a collectivistic appearance, while liberal democratic are very collectivistic, but have an individualistic appearance.
>>
>>3392601
It did develop in Germany.
>>
>>3393101
Exactly, it can happen anywhere it doesn't need Russia in order to make a totalitarian system look bad. Its bad regardless if its Russia or not.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.