[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Jews/Christians ever depict angels as winged men before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Did Jews/Christians ever depict angels as winged men before contact with Greeks?
>>
File: seraphim.jpg (47KB, 580x325px) Image search: [Google]
seraphim.jpg
47KB, 580x325px
>>3387956
Nope. In fact they didn't really depict them at all because that would be idolatry, but they described them to look like this.
>>
>>3387971
>them
one class of angels*
>>
>>3387984
No angel was depicted as "dude with wings". Angels could take on a form of a human (like the ones in Sodom), but they didn't have wings, they just looked like humans.
>>
>>3387994
>what are cherubim
>>
>>3388274
>implying you are capable of giving a definite answer
>>
>>3387956
There is not such a thing as "Christian before the contact with Greece".
>>
>>3388274
>James Jacques Joseph Tissot
Doesn't sound like a Hebrew name to me.
From the Bible:
>Make one cherub on one end and the second cherub on the other; make the cherubim of one piece with the cover, at the two ends. The cherubim are to have their wings spread upward, overshadowing the cover with them. The cherubim are to face each other, looking toward the cover. Place the cover on top of the ark and put in the ark the tablets of the covenant law that I will give you. There, above the cover between the two cherubim that are over the ark of the covenant law, I will meet with you and give you all my commands for the Israelites.
Nowhere does it say they are guys with wings, just that they have wings. But they are actually described in Ezekiel:
>And their whole body, and their backs, and their hands, and their wings, and the wheels, were full of eyes round about, even the wheels that they four had.
> And every one had four faces: the first face was the face of a cherub, and the second face was the face of a man, and the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle.
>>
>>3388360
>taking it literally
>>
>>3388369
I'm sure a painting by some faggot frog is a better depiction of cherubim than the actual holy book.
>>
>>3388327
This. The OT was translated into Greek well before BC became AD.
>>
>>3388360
>cherub
ox
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.