[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Compared to the Republic and Empire, it feels like the Roman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Compared to the Republic and Empire, it feels like the Roman Kingdom is rarely talked about. The seven kings ending in Tarquin the Proud must have had some interesting stuff going on in their time, but that section of Roman history seems overlooked.
>>
>>3386810
More like there's little to talk about
>>
Because it was already ancient history even back during the the roman republic era.
>>
>>3386832
The problem is that very little of the kingdom of rome is documented fact. Even for the romans most of it was legend and storytelling than actual history written down.
>>
>>3386810
>the Roman Kingdom is rarely talked about.
Because most of what is written about it by the Romans is mainly fragmentary scraps rooted in hyperbole, legend, and myth.
>>
>>3386810
>it feels like the Roman Kingdom is rarely talked about. The seven kings ending in Tarquin the Proud must have had some interesting stuff going on in their time, but that section of Roman history seems overlooked.

It is important to bear in mind that we don't really have "history" f the early days of Rome, we have the "origin story" legn3eds that their historians used to illustrate points about proper nd moral Roman behavior and the superiority of Rome.

The "Seven Kings," especially early on, are not historical characters. They are allegorical characters, denoting, first, the cardinal virtues of Roman civilization (each being invented by a specific King who did little else) and later personifying vices that the virtuous Roman Heroes would overcome in setting up the Republic.

An interesting book that covers this period is Anthony Everett's "Rise of Rome," which covers the time-frame from the mythical foundation stories (which did not reveal much about how Rome was really founded, but reveal a lot about how later Romans liked to imagine themselves), through the beginnings of the historical record of Rome nd into the last days of he Republic. At this point the book fairly abruptly ends, as the story is already covered to an extent in his biographies of Cicero and Augustus.
>>
>>3386810
The ROMAN KINGDOM basically a bunch of war like savages living in wooden huts
>>
There's just not enough to work with, as there's very little documented history
>>
>>3388162
>and later personifying vices that the virtuous Roman Heroes would overcome in setting up the Republic.

Like "don't found your kingdom on murdering your brother"?
>>
it was originally the most successful beta uprising in history.
>>
>>3388880
How so?
>>
>>3388902
At least according to their own legends, Rome as it was founded was almost entirely made up of outcast males. Criminals, the disowned and exiled, slaves.

That's why they needed to steal wives.

>>3388888
>>
>>3388922
I thought in their legend they were founded from survivors of the sacking of Troy
>>
I think when Rome was burned down by one of those outside forces (Hannibal?), they burned all of the records handed down from Roman Kingdom period.
>>
>>3389104
hannibal never attack rome, he was about to do it but he didnt, if he would have attacked rome in that time, rome would have been destroyed even romans knew it
>>
>>3389157
oh fuck your totally right. I think it was just a group of reckless bandits who burned down Rome. Perhaps the visigoths, before Rome became a full fledged empire? I just read a book on Ancient Rome a few months ago
>>
>>3389189
it was the gauls

visigoths attacked rome way later
>>
>>3389204
bingo, thanks.

In the book I read it was mentioned that the records containing information about the Roman Kingdom were burned by the Gauls. That book is the Book of Ancient Romans, but Dorothy Mills. I mean, I have can see the theory that >>3388162 makes but I also have no reason to not believe that Rome was in fact a Kingdom in her early history.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.