[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jackson & Grant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Jackson_(2).jpg (124KB, 840x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Jackson_(2).jpg
124KB, 840x1000px
Hey /his/, I'm doing a research essay for a course in North American history that compares the leadership of Ulysses S. Grant and Thomas Jonathan 'Stonewall' Jackson and would like to know of any good biographies on these two you'd recommend. Discussion on these two is also appreciated.
>>
bad comparison imo, Jackson never led the amount of troops Grant did although he was probably the best corps commander from either side. The Grant-Lee comparison is far better and the typical talking point is Lee had better tactics and Grant had better strategy. Of course that's a massive oversimplification and somewhat boring.

>good biographies on these two you'd recommend
Mcpherson is the standard but I find his biases somewhat obnoxious. Gallagher is probably the best current military historian.
>>
>>3384359

Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson by S. C. Gwynne
>>
>>3386488

This
>>
>>3386488

This x100

Literally every thing you would ever want and need to know about Tom Jackson

Incredibly easy read as well.
>>
>>3384359
Jackson was a hillnigger whose only accomplishment was he ran around in an unmapped valley where he and his men were the only ones who knew the terrain.
Grant won the Western campaign which decided the war then went East and destroyed Lee's army in a couple of months.
>>
>>3384752
>Grant had better strategy
no, Grant had superior numbers and industrial capability and the willingness to send his men into the meat grinder to maximize these advantages.

Lee did more with less.
>>
>>3386488
Thanks for the recommend, lucky my university library has it.

>>3384752
I thought this too, but this is unfortunately what the assignment specifies.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.