[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the pope fear gnosticism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_20170914_135406.jpg (75KB, 540x463px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170914_135406.jpg
75KB, 540x463px
Why does the pope fear gnosticism?
>>
>>3383040
They would've been left alone if they had agreed to accept papal hierarchy.
>>
Because they fucking stink, okay.
>>
>>3383040
why were medeival illustrations so shit at perspective? This is cubism tier
>>
>>3383115
1: It's not that bad
2: Roman paintings didn't have perspective; nobody did until Brunelleschi
>>
>>3383040

Catholics were(?) obsessed with obtaining temporal power
>>
>>3383124
but its like, didn't these people have eyes?
>>
File: 1500443215175.png (220KB, 429x512px) Image search: [Google]
1500443215175.png
220KB, 429x512px
>>3383131
You do it better, and do it 600 years ago
>>
>>3383132
I'm not trying to rag on them. Its just what is the technological obstacle to creating photorealistic art even in caveman times? You're looking at stuff in perspective all day. Did nobody for the thousands and thousands of years before the renaissance think to simply draw what they see?
>>
>>3383040
Historically, the early Christian leaders were afraid that gnosticism lead people from salvation due to being so different from their own beliefs. Gnosticism denied that Yahweh was God, and some gnostic documents even suggest he's evil, which was total anathema to proto-orthodoxy which saw Jesus as Yahweh himself and the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies. Additionally, Gnosticism was totally against the kind of heirarchy the proto-orthodox had, it was much more esoteric and focused on attaining hidden knowledge, rather than worshipping publicly. They also had very different views on Jesus' resurrection, a common theme was Jesus not suffering on the cross, or even not being on the cross, which is incompatible with ideas of Jesus needing to suffer and be sacrificed.

Basically, it was anathema to every single belief the early church heirarchy held, and they succeeded in stamping it out as a movement (although there have been gnostic individuals throughout history).

As for the Pope, I don't think the Popes of today care at all about gnosticism since so few people are gnostic. They're more worried about Protestant evangelization and secularism.
>>
File: 1502062106880.jpg (59KB, 806x640px) Image search: [Google]
1502062106880.jpg
59KB, 806x640px
>>3383149
That's not how it works. Also, remember that these are incredibly small, and in an unforgiving medium. Photorealistic art is the outlier in the history of art. Most art is symbolic
>>
>>3383040
because it's blasphemy and basically witch-craft.
>>
>>3383149
Have you ever tried drawing anything? It's not that easy. And proper technique is not as intuitive as you might think. It has to be learned.
Just last century, there was an artists that gave up on trying to figure out how perspective works and decided invading Russia was easier.
>>
>>3383611
>Just last century, there was an artists that gave up on trying to figure out how perspective works and decided invading Russia was easier.
blew air out of my nose/10
>>
Reminder that Gnostic Jesus is canon in Islam.
>Most Islamic traditions, save for a few, categorically deny that Jesus physically died, either on a cross or another manner. The contention is found within the Islamic traditions themselves, with the earliest Hadith reports quoting the companions of Muhammad stating Jesus having died, while the majority of subsequent Hadith and Tafsir have elaborated an argument in favor of the denial through exegesis and apologetics, becoming the popular (orthodox) view.
>>
I consider myself a Marcionite. You know, it just makes sense on closer inspection. When the man in Matthew asks Jesus which commandments to follow, Jesus specifically mentions those related to kind behavior instead of the first several related to worship such as keeping the sabbath day holy and not creating false idols.
>>
>>3383115
Because beauty and creativity in Europe died with Paganism, and was revived when Pagan values were revived during the Renaissance.
>>
>>3383626
Except that it was the pope's man, Jerome, who "translated" the bible into the Vulgate, who put horns on Moses' head.
>>
>>3383040
Most people fear gnostics the same way most people fear people with bubonic plague; proximity may cause intellectual/actual death.
>>
>>3383129
>were
>>
>>3383789
coinciidenally as a matter of serendipity
>>
It's retarded
>>
>>3383149
Because it's incredibly difficult to draw what one sees?
>>
>>3383812
yeah but out of billions of people nobody had the natural ability to do it?
>>
>>3383815
I know more about God, my father, than you do about satan, hour father. Guaranteed.

If you're denying Moses has horns in the Vulgate, I'll demonstrate.

If all you are saying is that God can turn what man meant for evil, into good, that phrase is in the bible plenty of times.

This cosplay you do. Is it worth an eternity on fire?
>>
>>3383808
I think he just sucked at his job. Because of Jerome, we have people like >>3383815 calling the devil "light bringer".
>>
>>3383843
*your father
>>
>>3383843
>just stop being schizophrenic bro. that's all you have to do to not burn for eternity
>>
>>3383843
you aren't Jesus
>>
>>3383857
Jesus is my brother.
>>
>>3383149
Drawing stuff requires paying attention to it. People are not awfully smart, and kids who just finished highschool are pretty much on the same level as the antique erudites.

Try drawing a person from scratch, you only have one try. Practice on soil if you want, that's all these people had.
>>
>>3383932
>one try

there is no end to soil. /ic/ will generally tell you to start a drawing over than start erasing what you already have
>>
>>3383040
The Pope is a Satanist pedophile
>>
>>3383611
fucking kek
>>
>>3383960
what are you trying to imply with all those pictures you are posting? it's nonsense to me
>>
>>3383149
Sacred art and photorealism have very different goals, that's why the former makes use of things like reverse perspective, which has a mystical connotation. As a drawfag myself I spent months studying perspective but hardly put that knowledge to use
>>
>>3385577
these videos are a fucking mess.
>>
>>3383040
Because Gnostics tried to hijack the Bible and Christianity to suit their own ideals that had been around for thousands of years prior. The big question is if the modern church is worried about the exponential growth of Gnosticism through the Internet.
>>
>>3385614
I don't know whether you gnostics or mormons are more heretical.
>>
>>3383040
Gnosticism has no place for the pope and any organized religion. Plus gnostics could blend in among christians and subvert from within. Hence the existential need to wipe them out
>>
"St Thomas Aquinas thought it virtuous to burn heretics, and favoured the option of burning them alive. From around the turn of the millennium executing heretics became ever more common, and the grounds for doing so ever more unlikely. A group of Christians at Goslar in Germany who declined to kill chickens were executed for heresy in 1051."
>>
>>3386959
Of course you are when you corrupt the Bible message with your pagan influences, and when you proclaim to be a god (lower cases).

You're in full anathema.
>>
>>3383611
>Just last century, there was an artists that gave up on trying to figure out how perspective works and decided invading Russia was easier.
lmao
>>
>>3383040
Because he's a Demiurge puppet who fears the truth will get out.

END THE SIMULATION.
>>
File: pyramidchildgod.png (657KB, 1580x662px) Image search: [Google]
pyramidchildgod.png
657KB, 1580x662px
>>3387033
>Of course you are when you corrupt the Bible message with your pagan influences, and when you proclaim to be a god (lower cases).

I don't proclaim myself to be a god - God does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a94Kpkku94
>>
File: 20150523221614.jpg (2MB, 3262x1299px) Image search: [Google]
20150523221614.jpg
2MB, 3262x1299px
>>3384866
Those weren't religious icons though. The Chinese were ahead of Europeans during the Middle Ages and possibly even earlier.
>>
>>3387947
In painting, Euros were better in architecture, scilpture, music and poetry
>>
>>3387947
how will whites ever recover?
>>
>>3383040
Are you talking about the Cathar crusade? Because it had political reasons and fighting a heresy was just a justification for the crusade
>>
>>3384184
>>3385577
Fucking gross. Who the fuck eats babies? That shit is fucked up. Disgusting.
>>
File: pompeiiwallart.jpg (72KB, 468x442px) Image search: [Google]
pompeiiwallart.jpg
72KB, 468x442px
>>3383124
>Roman paintings didn't have perspective.

ORLY?
>>
>>3383149
>Its just what is the technological obstacle to creating photorealistic art even in caveman times?

None. But what makes you just assume that was a goal?
>>
File: 1502382252146.jpg (77KB, 508x504px) Image search: [Google]
1502382252146.jpg
77KB, 508x504px
>>3383611
>>
>>3383149
Cave art animals are really well painted and drawn
>>
>>3386994
B A S E D
>>
>>3383040
From a scholary perspective I'm interested in learning more about gnosticism anyone have any good books not written by schizos
>>
>>3383040
[spoiler]because he's a self-serving mortal man like the rest of us with no divine connection or mandate[/spoiler]
>>
>>3383115
Because most were made by untrained monks fighting off hand cramps
>>
File: IMG_0796.jpg (66KB, 585x258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0796.jpg
66KB, 585x258px
>>3383115
Becuase prefect perspective is a myth. This isn't actully how your eye and brain perceive things,
especially around the edges of your eyes. And especially when you consider you have to have a value system before you perceive anything becuase you can't perceive everything, unless you a certain type of schizophrenic. You don't see cut wood stacks with nails and fabric patting, what you see is a chair, and often you don't see anything, when asked people can't remember 90% of what was in a room.
And medieval people were more in tune with thier emotions
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.