[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were the Phoenicians Greek?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1377.png (153KB, 392x222px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1377.png
153KB, 392x222px
I've seen Greeks claim they were
>>
ΕΜΕΙΣ
>>
>>3372794
Celts.
>>
they were not (F)reek they were not wh*Te either they were BLACK
>>
>>3372794
>here goy, buy my aluminiu- I mean, pure gold vase. Only fifty silvers, very cheap! Baruch Ba'al!
>>
>>3372794
No they are Lebanese
>>
>>3373796
[citation needed]
>>
File: fig26.gif (61KB, 750x396px) Image search: [Google]
fig26.gif
61KB, 750x396px
>>3372794
No
>>
>>3373098
>implying an aluminum jug wouldn't be worth its weight in gold in the ancient world
>>
>>3372804
ήταν
>>
File: tophet.jpg (212KB, 960x480px) Image search: [Google]
tophet.jpg
212KB, 960x480px
This is near where I live, where my ancestors sacrificed their children alive for shekels
>>
>>3374924
The Phoenicians brought the alphabet, sped up the urbanization process, increased trade between the Mediterranean coasts immensely and imported the knowledge of how to manufacture glass, I doubt Rome would've been a thing without the Phoenicians
>>
File: hieratic abjad.jpg (68KB, 654x734px) Image search: [Google]
hieratic abjad.jpg
68KB, 654x734px
>>3374929
>>3374924

Phonecians get too much credit for the alphabet, that was an Egyptian invention. Literacy would have reached the West eventually, whether it was the Egyptian alphabet or the Sumerian cuneiform would have made no real difference.
>>
>>3372794
They were just like modern Lebanese.
>>3372808
Celts are irrelevant, don't even speak their own language.
>>
>>3374940
>don't even speak their own language.

What does this even mean? Every group of people on Earth has adopted "someone else's language" at least once, they then went on to make that language their own.
>>
>>3374952
Celts got completely Germanised. Just look at the Irish.
>>
>>3374955

Again, what does this even mean? You realize Germans, themselves, adopted the Germanic languages and culture from outsiders?
>>
>>3374957
>You realize Germans, themselves, adopted the Germanic languages and culture from outsiders?
No, they did not.
>>
>>3374964

Really? You think the blond and blue eyed Siberian hunter gatherers who lived in Scandinavia spoke Germanic languages before the Indo-Europeans invaded? I'll give you a clue: "No".
>>
>>3374938
They probably would have adopted Luwian or Egyptian like hueroglyphs or even more likely The Cypriot sillabary
>>
>>3374992

Most likely they would have adopted the alphabet directly from the Egyptians, as the Phonecians did.
>>
>>3374877
>Implying it wouldn't be far more
>>
>>3374969
Indo-Europeans were Germanic.
>>
>>3375025
Other way around
>>
>>3375025

Indo-Europeans were steppe niggers, "Germanic languages" is the variant of steppe nigger language adopted by the "Germanic" people.
>>
File: 21.png (279KB, 404x352px) Image search: [Google]
21.png
279KB, 404x352px
>>3372794
Phoenician art and jewelry is just a complete rip off of the Egyptian ones
>>
>>3374892
>where my ancestors
pls no you fucking faggot

you are berber-arab
>>
>>3375216
just like greeks art comes from phoenician
>>
>>3375223
I am Sardinian
>>
>>3375216

Idk there are clear Asiatic influences in that piece too. But really show me an artistic tradition that didn't come from an earlier artistic tradition.
>>
>>3375228
oh well if you dont have light features like light hair/eyes and pale skin then its okay, you can claim phoenician heritage
>>
>>3375040
Prove it.
>>
>>3375228

Is Sardinia Italian, or should it be it's own country (perhaps along with Corsica)?
>>
>>3375226
Not really, Greek statues were identical to Egyptian ones, Greeks and Carians served as mercenaries in Egypt during the 8-7th century bc and they started making Egyptian like sculptures in the late 7th-early 6th century bc

Phoenicians only made a handful of statues and they were roughly contemporary to the first Greek ones, maybe a little earlier
>>
>>3375241

Prove what? That Indo-Europeans are steppe niggers? Or that Germanic is an Indo-European language, and therefore was adopted by the people we today call "Germanic"?
>>
>>3375243
No, we would starve if we didn't leech the north
>>
>>3375247
>Phoenicians only made a handful of statues and they were roughly contemporary to the first Greek ones
hahahaha
how the fuck do you?
just because you dont see it now doesnt mean it didnt exist

do you think greeks only got the alphabet from phoenicians?
they got more things, remember that phoeinicians civ is older than greek
>>
>>3375283
>just because you dont see it now doesnt mean it didnt exist

Because they have found very few and they are all pretty late, archaeology works like this, sorry it doesn't suit you

> remember that phoeinicians civ is older than greek

They're roughly contemporary

Crete is in Greece and they had arguably a more advanced civilization compared to contemporary Canaanites in Lebanon in 2000 bc
>>
>>3375288
>Crete is in Greece and they had arguably a more advanced civilization compared to contemporary Canaanites in Lebanon in 2000 bc
where is your source?
>>3375288
>Because they have found very few and they are all pretty late, archaeology works like this, sorry it doesn't suit you
no it doesnt and it cant work that way

you are just saying that greeks civ was superior to phoenician one and its bullshit
>>
>>3375248
Prove that siberian hunter gatherers were blond and blue eyed. Prove that they lived in scandinavia. Prove that they influanced the language, culture and religion of the germanic tribes.
>>
>>3375283
Phoenicians were really never into making big statues like the Greeks

>The Phoenician coast did not afford any favorable stone or marble for the use of sculpture. The local stone was far inferior to the corresponding material used by the Egyptian and Assyrian artists, and when a very choice work was to be executed the material was imported from Egypt. In the sixth century importation of marble from Greece commenced, and after that period was quite frequently used. But the sculptures in stone, such as the anthropoid sarcophagi, statues of gods, the stela, and architectural decorations, form a very incomplete series, and one that does not represent at all continuously the history of Phoenician sculpture. The history is represented much better by small sculptures in bronze and in terracotta. Phoenician monuments in these two materials are found in almost every country where the Phoenicians had settlements or commercial relations. The main centres, however, were Syria, Cyprus, and Sardinia. The bronzes were generally of a very crude type, poor in execution, and were in the style which was imitated very largely throughout the mainland of western and northern Asia. The most common figure reproduced was that of a standing warrior.
>>
>>3374964
And hence became germans, not english larpers.
>>
>>3375293
>where is your source?

Houses from Akrotiri had running cold and hot water in 1800 bc, Phoenician ones didn't, if we can even called those guys Phoenicians in 1800 bc, Crete had control over most of the sea routes in the Eastern Mediterraneans, Phoenicians didn't, Crete had bigger cities, Knossos had around 50-100,000 people in 1700 bc while Byblos had just a few thousand, Phoenicians were subjugated by Egyptians and were reduced to lick the Pharaoh's boots, as testified by the many letters that have been found

Sorry, but Phoenicians only became relevant around 900 bc, before then they were just a bunch of small city states subjugated by Egyptians
>>
>>3375295
>Phoenicians were really never into making big statues like the Greeks
its debatable

phoenicians cities got destroyed many times and then you have carthage that rome burned everything

all civ in mesopotamia made their sculture, you sound like if only greeks had civ and made sculture

now you are going to tell that greeks are the father of history and philosophy?
>>
File: _statuaryphoenicians.jpg (162KB, 614x915px) Image search: [Google]
_statuaryphoenicians.jpg
162KB, 614x915px
Really makes you think
>>
>>3375306
hahahaha
again, history cant prove that about phoenicians as their cities got destroyed

greece and egypt saw less destruction than mesopotamia and levant
>>
>>3375314
they said they have little evidence, why?

all that got fucking destroyed
>>
>>3375311
>its debatable

Not really, there are dozens of Phoenician cities that were not destroyed

>all civ in mesopotamia made their sculture

Phoenicians aren't in Mesopotamia, no one in the Mediterranean coasts besides Egyptians made statues until the 8th century bc, this is what archaeology suggests, and this is what we should assume unless evidence proves it wrong
>>
>>3375316
>>3375320
Why are you so butthurt?

This is how archaeologists work, they need evidence, there are literally 0 human sized statues from the Levant or Anatolia before the 8th century bc, considering the number of sites excavated, if there were we would have known, or would have at least found fragments.
>>
>>3375228
I had nice vacations near dorgali last week. You Island is a paradise and people were really cool, would do it again.
>>
>>3375321
>and this is what we should assume unless evidence proves it wrong
no one should assume, you do it because it suit you
>>3375321
>no one in the Mediterranean coasts besides Egyptians made statues until the 8th century bc
again, bullshit
>>3375328
well i just have sources from the bible and their history which is enough
>>3375328
>there are literally 0 human sized statues from the Levant or Anatolia before the 8th century bc
because maybe they got fucking destroyed

how many times those people got invaded?
iranians destroyed their cities then you have greeks and finally arabs
>>
>>3375348
>again, bullshit

So your argument is just insulting and providing any evidence for your claims?

You realize you're a clown, right?

>iranians destroyed their cities then you have greeks and finally arabs

The bronze age layers of cities like Tyre or Byblos, or other bronze age Levantine cities like Hathor, Megiddo or Ugarit were extensively excavated and statues or fragments of statues were never found
>>
>>3375358
>fragments of statues were never found
because they got destroyed

listen, believe what ever you want, all those people made statues and scultures

greeks and romans werent the only ones, keep that in your head
>>
>>3375348
>no one should assume, you do it because it suit you

You're the one assuming Phoenicians made statues before the 8th century bc despite the complete lack of evidence, clown.

First human sized stone statue

3200 bc: a sculpture of the mother goddess from Malta, but it's more of an Atlas than an actual statue

2700-2600 bc: first actual statues from old kingdom Egypt

2600-2500 bc: Sumerian statues

900-800 bc: Mont'e Prama statues from Sardinia

750 bc: Neo Hittite Syrian statues from Syria and South Eastern Turkey

700-600 bc: First Phoenician statues

610 bc: First Greek statues in Crete

550 bc: Guerriero di Capestrano statue from South Italy
>>
>>3375367
>because they got destroyed

Yes, they obliterated them with laser guns I suppose

>greeks and romans werent the only ones, keep that in your head

never said they were

If the statues were destroyed they would've found fragments like they did elsewhere
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.