[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language in the Ottoman Empire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0686.png (2MB, 3531x2773px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0686.png
2MB, 3531x2773px
Was Turkish much outside of Turkey itself in the Empire?
How common was Turkish as a secondary or even first language amongst non-Turks within the empire?
Was Turkish taught or enforced ever?
>>
File: ottoman-empire-48032090.jpg (175KB, 1300x1191px) Image search: [Google]
ottoman-empire-48032090.jpg
175KB, 1300x1191px
>>3359214
> or even first language amongst non-Turks within the empire?
Yes. For everybody iirc.
>>
>>3359214
Coastal Bulgaria and Romania had sizeable turkish population but they were moved to Anatolia due to 19th century wars. Nevertheless anatolia also had turks

I don't know how many people were bilungual, but the court turkish (ottoman language) was quite different than the turkish of common folk. It is far similar to High Gothic-Low Gothic division in Warhammer 40k. Ottoman Turkish was under heavy influence of arabic and persian, while the turkish people spoke was more true to her origins, and that is the turkish langauge the modern turks speak right now
>>
We spoke nilo saharan languages mostly but women preferred to speak germanic languages
>>
probably pretty evenly split between turkish, greek, arabic, and persian.
>>
>>3359229

why does every single map of the ottoman empire feature belgrade but never sarajevo?
>>
>>3359279
Belgrade was far more important
>>
>>3359261
>Persian
What parts would have spoken Persian
>>
>>3359574

The Persian bits? Also Kurdish is a type of Persian.
>>
>>3359574
Persian was a language for educated people, similar to how Greek was in the Latin regions of the Roman empire. I don't think there were substantial groups who spoke it as their native tongue however, if that was what you were objecting to.
>>
>>3359214
There was the millet system, which kept different cultural and religious groups in their own communities. These didn't have to interact much aside from paying taxes to Constantinople. If you didn't have to interact much with other people through commerce or moving up in the military/administration, you likely had little use for Turkish, be it the Ottoman or Pleb varieties.
>>
>>3359214
They spoke arab
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.