[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Origins of myths

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

So I found this image and I was wondering where did the idea of Rome salting Carthage come from if there are no sources from around that time to confirm it.
>>
>>3356991
There's no primary source confirming it, but we do have sources relating to the act of salting itself, and there are references about Carthage being salted going back to pope Boniface VIII.
Given that it was a mastly mesopotamian tradition, and it's mentioned in the old testament as something the assyrian and hittites did (and also the jews themselves albeit as a purifying act), it's very likely that if the salting didn't actually happen, the story was born as some sort of biblical reference.
>>
>>3356991

Salting is bullshit that doesn't actually do anything. It's supposed to curse anybody who tries to rebuild the city, but since curses don't exist, it actually does nothing.
>>
>>3357036
It ruins the soil. And so people spoke of it as a curse.
>>
>>3357051
You'd need hilarious amounts of salt in a time when salt was almost as valuable as gold and Rome paid its soldiers with salt.
>>
When Gracchi brothers attempted to found a colony close to destroyed Carthage they were slandered by Senate because it was thought to be accursed ground.
>>
>>3357056
You could just fuck up the waterworks network.

Most of the original civilizations got massively fucked over by essentially salting themselves with bad water engineering.
>>
>>3357036

In reality the soils salt up when irrigation works are abandoned after their owners are killed or enslaved, leading to a lack of proper flush cycle. One can look at the desertification of North Africa as a byproduct of the destruction of several civilizations, it recovered somewhat under the Romans because they farmed more extensively, but when that system was destroyed by the Arabs, it became pure desert and there wasn't any extra land to convert to new cultivation.
>>
>>3356991
Carthago est ilion. Odysseus est des/troy/or de troy.
Legionii homini et 4chan vadere legionii. Legionii conquere /pol/ et /int/ et /bant/ et /b/ present excursio aggressii, pretere! Ad victori, in glori regress.
>excursio aggressii est raid.
Cogere latein ad trollere /pol/.
/pol/ est agressii contra /his/ in past et in present et in futur quid /his/ defiancere./pol/
in futur et in present /his/ esse victorii.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.