[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were the Irish so unproductive compared to other Europeans?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_9338.jpg (11KB, 640x357px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9338.jpg
11KB, 640x357px
Why were the Irish so unproductive compared to other Europeans?
>>
>>3356033
When?
>>
Gee, I wonder who could beady behind this post...
>>
INB4 muh medieval monks
>>
>>3356033
Around 500-1000 AD.
>>
>The Irish

Nice meme. People imply Ireland was a single entity instead of a small, rainy, resourceless Island which was utterly and entirely fractured into many warring clans and territories where borders change all the fucking time since most wealth (cattle) is mobile.

When untouched for the most part by outward influence (aka, no differing cultures or forces other than one another to threaten them) all they did was fight for control until one dude got loads of power before he was inevitably assfucked by someone trying to usurp him, at which point it all falls apart.

The norse invasion was a mess, and then they just intermarried and lived among the Irish until Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill and Brian Boru threw the norsefags out.

The English invasion was even worse, and they fucked it up extra hard. It wasn't until Cromwell that the Irish became truly pacified, and it was under an English banner that they then """""unified""""" at which point extremely ineffective rule and general disregard for the native people lead to it being an absolute nightmare to run.

In that time, however, Ireland produced a myriad of great thinkers, pretty decent soldiers and some good writers. Also good at writing shit down and preserving documents.

tl-dr; what the fuck did you expect, man?
>>
>>3356269
> instead of a small, rainy, resourceless Island
stop making excuses, the same could be said about england
>>
>>3356642
>small

Big as fuck

>resource lass

Plenty of tin, iron, copper
>>
>>3356033
Name one thing the Celts did before they were conquered
>>
>>3356642
But England had plenty of resources.

>>3356652
Sort of depends what you mean by Celts. That's a pretty huge group. Some of their art and arms were fantastic.

If you specifically mean Irish celts, their history is mostly one of infighting, writing and fending off Invaders, all of which they do relentlessly and relatively well. Extremely so, in some cases.
>>
>>3356667
Britain has resources, Ireland doesn't
>>
>>3356033
The Irish aren't European's, their Celts.
>>
>>3356033

Faggot
>>3356932
Nigger
>>
Ireland has a higher per capita GDP than the UK today
>>
>>3358890
>Nigger
That's a good synonym for Celt
>>
>>3356033
liquor
>>
File: ABHAFUP.png (327KB, 1008x670px) Image search: [Google]
ABHAFUP.png
327KB, 1008x670px
>>
>>3356033
How so?

8 Nobel prize winners,
two of which are the Peace price.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_country#Ireland)

Rich history of literature, some of which widely considered some of the greatest works in the English Language (Jonathan Swift, Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, etc)

Large catalog of groundbreaking inventions, including Radiotherapy, Boyle's law of physics, the steam turbine,
etc.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Irish_inventions_and_discoveries)

What the hell do you measure productiveness as?
>>
>>3358922
And Lichtenstein has a higher gdp per capita than both of us combined, what's your point?
>>
>>3356033
They were dead from famine.
>>
File: 1501986118918.jpg (51KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
1501986118918.jpg
51KB, 500x386px
Look lads, the Anglo is angry
>>
>>3359398
mick cunt
>>
Dubhlinn or dublin means we black.
>>
>>3359756
Kek wha'
>>
File: IMG_2372.jpg (73KB, 472x624px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2372.jpg
73KB, 472x624px
Please leave my people alone.
>>
File: 1465996444424.jpg (12KB, 196x226px) Image search: [Google]
1465996444424.jpg
12KB, 196x226px
>Machine Gun Marty almost got a fucking peace prize

I love this shitty island.
>>
>>3356269
>The norse invasion was a mess, and then they just intermarried and lived among the Irish until Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill and Brian Boru threw the norsefags out.
Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill and Brian Boru didn't throw anyone out. Dublin was Norse until the Anglo-Norman invasion
>>
>>3360660
Throwing them out was maybe the wrong phrase, it was more that Norse military power on the island was utterly shattered with the combined efforts of Tara and then Clontarf. Tara was the bigger one, though.
>>
lower iq
>>
>>3356033
bit harsh tbf
>>
>>3360671

they had the best writers you pleb
>>
Catholicism makes them have higher birth rates then the rest of europe which in return lowers their productivity because women are busy raising children.
>>
>>3360678
Africans had the best musicians... so?
>>
>>3356899
It has gold. Or it did, at least.

It's thought metallurgy came to the British Isles via Ireland.
>>
>Roman-Saxon-Anglo-Norse-Norman rape baby is still assmad at the Irish
What a meme
>>
>>3360720
are you able to add more titles?
>>
>>3360720
>norman
I'm a perfectly happy Roman-Saxon-Franco-Norseman than you very much.
>>
>>3360730
Nah, as far I as I know that about covers it.

>>3360738
This works too.
>>
>>3356033
Isolation
>>
>>3356033
they were happy with their potatoes, we wuzzing, and drunk bar fights; they didn't feel like they needed to do anything more.
>>
>>3360703
>It's thought metallurgy came to the British Isles via Ireland.

lol
>>
>>3360720
You forgot Dutch.
>>
>>3360660
Dublin was already Gaelic by the time of the Battle of Clontarf.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.