[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Voynich Manuscript Decoded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: smart water.jpg (560KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
smart water.jpg
560KB, 1500x1000px
>After looking at the so-called code for a while, Gibbs realized he was seeing a common form of medieval Latin abbreviations, often used in medical treatises about herbs. "From the herbarium incorporated into the Voynich manuscript, a standard pattern of abbreviations and ligatures emerged from each plant entry," he wrote. "The abbreviations correspond to the standard pattern of words used in the Herbarium Apuleius Platonicus – aq = aqua (water), dq = decoque / decoctio (decoction), con = confundo (mix), ris = radacis / radix (root), s aiij = seminis ana iij (3 grains each), etc." So this wasn't a code at all; it was just shorthand.

>Further study of the herbs and images in the book reminded Gibbs of other Latin medical texts. When he consulted the Trotula and De Balneis Puteolanis, two commonly copied medieval Latin medical books, he realized that a lot of the Voynich Manuscript's text and images had been plagiarized directly from them (they, in turn, were copied in part from ancient Latin texts by Galen, Pliny, and Hippocrates).

>Gibbs concluded that it's likely the Voynich Manuscript was a customized book, possibly created for one person, devoted mostly to women's medicine.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/the-mysterious-voynich-manuscript-has-finally-been-decoded/

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/voynich-manuscript-solution/
>>
>ITT depressing historical discoveries
>>
File: 1503106882893.png (39KB, 281x228px) Image search: [Google]
1503106882893.png
39KB, 281x228px
>>3353238
>>
>voynich manuscript was just abbreviated Latin
can't make this shit up
>>
What a fucking disappointment.
>>
Top 10 anime betrayals
>>
WHY THE FUCK DID IT TAKE THIS LONG FOR PEOPLE TO SOLVE IT
>>
>It took this long for an expert on medieval latin medicine to take one fucking glance at it
Why is academia such a shitshow. You'd think someone familiar in medieval texts would look at it in the span of a hundred fucking years.
>>
>>3353238
I always knew it had something to do with women's medicine but the language is...shorthand Latin? Really now?
>>
Translated pages when?

Let's see what the wacky pages actually were about.
>>
>>3353329
This is because universities are Zuccing their language departments in favor of STEMfags and businessfags.
>>
>tfw the 25th century equivalent of the Voynich Maunscript would be a 21st century scrapbook of Justin Bieber photos annotated in lolspeak
>>
File: 62565952.jpg (6KB, 206x200px) Image search: [Google]
62565952.jpg
6KB, 206x200px
>Elf language turns out to be fucking Pidgin.
>>
>>3353329
I think the issue has been that decoders and cryptologists have been looking at it rather than someone whose just an expert in latin.
>>
>people in the field of Humanities are so low IQ that it took them hundreds of years to "decipher" abbreviated Latin.
Wew indeed.
>>
This is not the first time this text has been "translated", nothing in this article suggests this new attempt is any more credible. VM is gibberish.
>>
>>3353238
seriously all this time and this is the result
>>
this is false
I think it's more likely an manuscript of a community of romani(gypsy) related group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cRlqE3D3RQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHbImkFKE4
I doubt it's simply abbreviated Latin
>>
>>3354528
>I doubt it's simply abbreviated Latin
credentials pls
>>
>>3354538

I am a professor of Latin Abbreviations from the Latin University in Latinland.
>>
>>3353238
I never had high hopes anyway. Life is not a fantasy novel.

Now investigate Codex Gigas.
>>
>>3353238
How can they know it's latin when the symbols in the book aren't even from any known alphabet?
>>
File: 1317828720227.jpg (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1317828720227.jpg
110KB, 600x600px
>>3353238
holy shit what a fuckin' disappointment
>>
so, in short, it was just made by someone who had shitty handwriting, the drawing skills of a toddler, and a knack to abbreviate words.
I don't know why but I'm really mad right now
>>
>>3353329
I remember speaking with a professor of classics in the Deansgate Library in Manchester. She showed me untranslated works from Oxyrhynchus. She claimed that there just wasn't he manpower to go through them all, and that the only thing that ever got funding was anything Gospel related because American donors were obsessed with finding the earliest copy of the Bible they could find. It really depressed me desu. She said the one she had was a fragment from one of the lesser known Trojan cycle works, but I can't remember exactly which one.
>>
>>3353238
I want to die.
>>
File: 1504395995840.jpg (113KB, 940x595px) Image search: [Google]
1504395995840.jpg
113KB, 940x595px
Is this clickbait or what? Hasn't it been recognized that the voynich manuscript had fragments of Latin for as long as it has been studied? Have they arrived at a consensus or is this just a single expert speculating?

I don't get it. It seems wayyy too anticlimactic..
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.