[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Age Dialects

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Skellington_f7c45a_6353380.jpg (203KB, 1200x1502px) Image search: [Google]
Skellington_f7c45a_6353380.jpg
203KB, 1200x1502px
Someone explain this dialect shift to me.

Both myself, my highschool mates, and every motherfucker both American and foreign in my university speak in specifics. We see Dr. Pepper, the middle aged and elderly say soda. We see Mountain Dew Voltage, they see soda. We see Powerade, they see Gatorade. Etc etc.

I first noticed this with things such as how we say Xbox One, they same "games", we say PC, etc etc etc etc, though I just wrote this off as we grew up with tech and they didn't, but I realize now that this applies to damn near everything. They say they like football, we say we like the Cowboys (I don't please don't shoot). They say we go to school/ college, we say we go to university.

TL;DR why do older generations talk much more broadly than the younger adults? Is it true across the spectrum, or is this a new age concept? Pic unrelated
>>
They didn't grow up with it, so to them it all looks the same because they don't care about the tiny details used for distinction. Have you ever had a kid come up to you telling you about Minecraft, and all the different types of building materials, characters, and levels despite it all looking the same to you? It's like that.

One day you'll be old too OP.
>>
>>3352860
>One day you'll be old too, OP

Say it ain't so, anon. No, but you do you have a point, all the shitty details of everything past 1.6 on MC is fucking lost on me now
>>
>>3352860
>>3352866
>Zero Reading Comprehension: The Posts.
>>
>>3352850
We have more important things to worry about than what type of pop you like, its just pop.
>>
>>3352956
Hey, see:
>>3352943

Are you people all illiterate?
>>
I'm >>3352860 OP. I'll answer your question.

No this is not a new phenomenon. It has always been here, it's here now, and it will here forever.

>>3352943
>>3352971
>being unable to read between the lines
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.