[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm tying to think of the narrowest dichotomy between atheism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I'm tying to think of the narrowest dichotomy between atheism and theism from an ontological perspective--here is what I have.

Theism of all varieties possesses an architect (i.e. God, however liberally defined) that both predate(s)/(ed) reality and created a means for it to come into being. Humans have applied meaning to this creation event, but God's existence does not depend on this meaning.

Atheism does not possess any architect. The emergence of reality is considered spontaneous, meaningless, and most importantly unbound by prior conditions. I.e. there is no reason why this reality had to happen rather than one where everything is made out of cotton candy.

I would love to here critiques and opinions.
>>
whats a narrow dichotomy
>>
>>3352581
Works for me.
>>
>>3352581
God = Creator

Theists = There is a Creator
Atheists = There is no Creator
>>
>>3352581
There are mythologies were the universe was created spontaneously, and the gods stepped in to establish order over it
>>
>>3352581
>Theism
We are all subject to god and were broken on creation because some idiot was thinking with his dick, requiring blood magic to fix us.
>Atheism
The universe arose by chance, we arose by chance, in a massive universe with quadrillions of planets the odds aren't all that long of us arising, though the creation of the universe is still a mystery. Nihilism is a trap, without being subject to a creator all we do in this world is infinitely more important because it is all we have to forge our personal story. Death is an exhilarating adventure rather than a known end.
>>
Not all forms of Thism promote purpose.
Not all forms of Atheism promote purposelessness.

Stop trying to expand definitions.
You will only end up mischaracterizing short meanings to common, simple words.

That is something only intellectually dishonest idealouges do to straw man positions.
>>
>>3354626
Wrong.
Not all Theism requires that a creature Martina power. Nor do all religions speak of blood or human error.

Atheism does not comment on chanse. Atheism is not a philosophy, it is a lack of a belief in God and nothing else.
Do not attach other things and call it part of the definition.
Stop being dishonest.
>>
>>3354638
*Creator maintains his power
>>
>>3352581
>Theists: God
>Atheists: No God

This is literally the only difference, you can have theists who are essentially materialists with a deist view of God, and you can have atheists who believe in woowoo and have a mystical view of the universe, you can even have theists who don't practice any kind of religion and atheists who DO (such as Buddhists).
>>
>>3354638
If you want to get accurate you'll have to separate forms of theism as the involvement or lack of involvement of a creator directly influences the definition.

In Christian belief for instance Man and God are directly intertwined, Jewish belief is similar, but less intertwined. Deism has pretty much no interdependency unless man attempts to commune or seek the creator deity.

Also atheism does not result in lack of meaning or being unbound by prior conditions.
>>
File: 1456132632305.png (176KB, 300x518px) Image search: [Google]
1456132632305.png
176KB, 300x518px
>>3352581
>Theism of all varieties possesses an architect (i.e. God, however liberally defined) that both predate(s)/(ed) reality and created a means for it to come into being.

This doesn't hold to all forms of theism. Note Brahman in Vedic Hinduism or polytheistic systems with no reference to creation of the universe itself.

You must remember that "deity" is an umbrella term for a lot of different kinds of things with the universal aspect being they are a controlling and willful entity.

Likewise, atheism is one of a few things:

1. A vague rejection on whatever understanding of deity the definer is working with.

2. A vague absence on whatever understanding of deity the definer is working with.

3. Naturalism, or a practical naturalism.

Overall, here is how the terms' definitions have persisted.

>Theist is a view that a deity or deities exist.

>Agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist. It later became popularized as the view that you don't know whether God exists. Even later is became characterized as a subgroup of theist and atheist that you do not know whether this position is right but you think one or the other ("Agnostic Theism" and "Agnostic Atheism").

>Atheism was originally a term for "ungodliness" or immorality. In the 18th century it became a view that deities do not exist. In the 20th century is became not a view at all but an absence of belief in a deity.
>>
>>3354655

Deism is a subset of theism, a theist is simply someone who believes there is a god, they can believe anything else about that God (such as if it is active in the world, or even if it is still alive) without ceasing to be a theist.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.