[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there any other superpower besides Britain, USSR and USA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1501259557613.png (39KB, 1425x625px) Image search: [Google]
1501259557613.png
39KB, 1425x625px
Was there any other superpower besides Britain, USSR and USA?

>Superpower is a term used to describe a state with a dominant position, which is characterised by its extensive ability to exert influence or project power on a global scale.

Why aren't French or Dutch empires considered a superpower?
>>
>>3349673

By definition no. By popular usage Rome is often called a superpower.
>>
>>3349673
Because the term "superpower" connotes the ability to project power globally to any corner of the globe.

The Dutch or the French were not able to do so since the 1800s when the Royal Navy ruled the seas. Their colonial Empires depended on the goodwill of Britain not sinking their ships.

Which is why the dreadnought race with Germany in the run up to WW1 represented such a challenge for Britain... it was the first time another country tried to challenge its naval supremacy in over a century.
>>
File: 1502335875159.png (912KB, 1110x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1502335875159.png
912KB, 1110x1080px
>inb4 B-B-BRITAIN WASN'T A SUPERPOWER, NO SUCH THING AS PAX BRITANNICA
>>
>>3349687
>MUH PAX BRITANNICA
>marked by several major wars
sure is PAX
>>
>>3349687
>NO SUCH THING AS PAX BRITANNICA
That would be correct.
>>
File: 1504033935601.png (869KB, 986x797px) Image search: [Google]
1504033935601.png
869KB, 986x797px
>>3349712
>>3349719
>couldn't even wait for one single post
>>
Mongol empire is the sole superpower of its time, having defeated all other major superpower including Chinese and Persian empire. Europe of the time was in shambles and divided into tiny kingdoms and not really an empire.
>>
>>3349673
As the term refers to not only dominance but global power projection it seems silly to describe regional powers as superpowers.
You could probably say Charles V's Spain was a superpower but probably not France.
France was immensely powerful under Louis XIV and in a way more so under Napoleon but Napoleon wasn't able to get a boat leaving Egypt without the permission of the Brits and of-course famously couldn't coerce Russia into the continental system so they were never really a superpower.
I don't know about the Dutch honestly, they have a better case than France.
>>
Inb4 muh napoleon wuz a superpower – he didn't really surrender, it was a prank (twice)
>>
>>3349687
Your "PAX BRITANNICA" couldn't stop Crimean War, couldn't stop WW1, couldn't stop WW2, couldn't stop almost any major conflicts.
PAX my ass.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.