[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was in the wrong here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

Who was in the wrong here?
>>
>>3348755
First Punic War: Carthage
Second Punic War: Roma
Third Punic War: Is this even a question?
>>
in a world like the one they inhabited the only rule is that might makes right

unfortunate for the Carthaginians, but so it goes
>>
>>3348755

I wish that we had more sources on the Punic Wars from Carthage's POV. For example, Hannibal brought a chronicler along with him to write down everything that happened, but unfortunately everything he wrote is now destroyed. That shit would be a goldmine of fascinating details if it still existed.
>>
File: cato-the-elder.jpg (38KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
cato-the-elder.jpg
38KB, 430x600px
CARTHAGO
>>
>>3348764
The Peloponnesian War discredited that idea almost two hundred years before hand. Any ancient state that believed that idiom effectively forfeited their own rights and left themselves open to barbaric treatment by others stronger than them. Only states that ruled through hegemony and cooperation, such as Early Rome (divide and conquer) and the Greek city state leagues truly enjoyed stable political lives.
>>
Could the Carthaginians had pulled off an empire the way the Romans did? Assuming they had won the Punic wars, of course.
>>
>>3348795
NOPE
if hanno ii would have become tyrant then yes

carthage elite was the problem, that is why they lose the war i mean they even lose the war to a greek city state
>>
>>3348795
I once heard it said that when Punic ruins are unearthed one sees no forums like in Roman cities, no great areas where one can go to live with their fellow countrymen to establish a sense of community, of sameness. Don't know how true this is though and cannot confirm.
>>
>>3348779
DELENDA
>>
>>3348843
EST
>>
>>3348843
EST
>>
>>3348828
false
you have to know that romans/greek didnt create those things, they got it from another civ such assyria, babylonia or phoenicia

carthage was a complete city, remember that romans destroyed everything there
>>
>>3348855
>you have to know that romans/greek didnt create those things
I never claimed they created anything merely that they had them.
>carthage was a complete city, remember that romans destroyed everything there
Which is why it makes sense to fill in blank spots with other Punic settlements.
>>
File: ar57ioka.jpg (9KB, 275x142px) Image search: [Google]
ar57ioka.jpg
9KB, 275x142px
>>3348779
>>3348843
>>3348847

Why is there no Cato equivalent of this picture yet?
>>
>>3348855
>carthage was a complete city, remember that romans destroyed everything there
>>
>>3348870
>Which is why it makes sense to fill in blank spots with other Punic settlements.
what do you mean?
>>
>>3348894
If for some reason Rome was utterly destroyed in say the 1st century and there was little left to excavate to get a full picture of the city and their city's culture it would make sense to fill in gaps of knowledge we had from the limited remains of Rome with the remains of say, Pompeii.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.