[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Technologies that were invented surprisingly late

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: Da_Vinci_bicycle.jpg (312KB, 2080x1183px) Image search: [Google]
Da_Vinci_bicycle.jpg
312KB, 2080x1183px
Photography. Supposedly St. Albert the Great was already experimenting with silver nitrate in the 13th century, so it really surprises me that nobody found a way to get a decent image by the end of the Renaissance. Part of me wants to believe that some wealthy collector has unpublished experimental photos taken before the 19th century.

Bicycles. Pic related is was a recreation of a sketch fraudulently attributed to a Da Vinci student. Nevertheless, it certainly would have been well within the reach of preindustrial technology to build something like this.

Microscope. Just how difficult is lens grinding supposed to be, at least to an adequate magnification to see cells? We know the Babylonians were avid astronomers and developed a primitive telescope lens, so it's truly remarkable that they or the Egyptians didn't take the technology further.
>>
>>3348146
Getting a microscope or telescope lens is extremely difficult. you can get an increasing magnification through the lens, but it has to be just perfect in order to actually be able to see anything, and that's where I think it was beyond them. They had the technology to make them, just not the technology to make ones good enough to actually use.
>>
File: Nimrud_lens_British_Museum.jpg (472KB, 1040x926px) Image search: [Google]
Nimrud_lens_British_Museum.jpg
472KB, 1040x926px
>>3348208
I guess that makes sense. This lens from Nimrud is of clearly dubious value. Some argue it's not even a lens, but a decorative inset in a wooden box which rotted away.
>>
a pre-industrial revolution bicycle would have been shit, and they weren't invented for a reason

>no rubber for the tires so they have to be made out of wood
>the chain and gears would be very difficult to produce and maintain without mass produced identical parts
>turning is next to impossible
its odd to think the bicycle was invented so late, until you think about what its actually made from
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.