[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ here and i had a few questions regarding economy during

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

/tg/ here and i had a few questions regarding economy during and around the fuedal era and onwards.

How did the economy of towns during the medieval era - early renaissance era work?

What would cause a town to be poor or rich? How much did the ruling nobility control a towns wealth? If a town was poor and desistute filled with sick and those with no prospects how could a town or city rebound from that? How did trade between towns in the same kingdom work? What about between different kingdom's. How important was actual money over bartering
>>
>>3347015
Feudal era encompasses way to much time and as a concept its ill developed. Certain parts of Europe were never Feudal to begin with.

Tthe laws of the market as we know them today largely functioned the same back then. When Adam Smith penned down his wealth of nations the economy functioned quite similar to how it had done five hundred years earlier, though people were richer.

Many towns had a high degree of autonomy and could set policy.

In practice this led to cities competing with each other with mercantilism legislation. High import duties on knives on Florence while those from our own city are not taxed or taxed lowly.

My advice would be to start with The Cambridge Economic History of Europe from the Decline of the Roman Empire.

The subject is really to big to write a 4chan answer about so feel free to ask more specific questions.
>>
>>3347015

In the 1930's, in a small town/village in southern Jutland in Denmark, my great-grandfather would trade dried peat (for fuel) for half a pig and other foodstuffs with other people in the town/village

Bartering didn't rreally truly end until industrialization and the modern age was in full effect
>>
>>3347015
>How did the economy of towns during the medieval era - early renaissance era work?
How did an entire economy work? This is a bit of a broad question. The laws of supply and demand explain most activities that were repeated. Around 90% of the population were farmers so we can surmise that all but the largest cities would be rurally oriented.

http://faculty.goucher.edu/eng240/medieval_prices.html

>What would cause a town to be poor or rich?
Trade. Before the renaissance the only places in the world that had a GDP per capita higher than $1000 were trade centers.

>How much did the ruling nobility control a towns wealth?
Minor nobility and merchants owned a lot of property and had political influence. As the medieval era progressed, authority gradually shifted from local earls and barons to a complex legal system.

>If a town was poor and desistute filled with sick and those with no prospects how could a town or city rebound from that?
The destitute would have to be sent to the countryside where food is cheaper and join the cohort of landless peasants. The town could try to restore order and open up trade and try to attract resources, though this would take time.

>How did trade between towns in the same kingdom work?
There were few restrictions. If a trade was large enough there might be frictions. I found this interesting example.

http://users.trytel.com/tristan/towns/ipswic11.html#p03
>More intractable was the threat to Ipswich's commerce from Harwich...

>How important was actual money over bartering
Bartering seems to be limited to the very poor where for whatever reason it is easier for them to transfer a commodity they produce like butter rather than sell it themselves. There are few cases where the currency has collapsed and the wealthy are reduced to barter.
>>
File: RCO020_1484009721.jpg (2MB, 2311x3056px) Image search: [Google]
RCO020_1484009721.jpg
2MB, 2311x3056px
I realize now that the question was a bit too broad
>>3347067
>>3347085
>>3347617
Thanks for answering!
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.