[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obscure Wars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: War.png (91KB, 324x772px) Image search: [Google]
War.png
91KB, 324x772px
Did you know that the Byzantines and the Normans were at war at one point?
>>
Yeah, cause it was in JJN's History of Venice
>>
Everyone knows that
>>
>>3343426
>no one will ever talk about the Venetian-Genoese Wars with me
feels fucking awful man
>>
>>3343426
who tf are the normans
>>
>>3343463
Enlighten me anon :3
>>3343522
Vikings who settled in North France and became Gallicized (Norseman became Norman)
>>
>>3343522
French Vikings
>>
>>3343522
Vikings who settled in North France, invade England and ended in fucking Sicily
>>
>>3343426
Did you know that Peru and Ecuador were at war in 1995 in which Argentina became embroiled in illegally selling weapons to Ecuador (even when Peru was Argentina's closest ally in the Falklands War) and its president Carlos Saul Menem ( a Muslim) was tried and convicted of this illegal arms sale but continues as a national senator to this day?
>>
The Norman conquest of Sicily is actually cool because Roger II's kingdom was one of the first European countries to have religious freedom, and it was really centralized. William the Conqueror is supposed to have said that the Italo-Normans inspired him to conquer England
>>
As if religious freedom was a good thing back then.
>>
>>3343575
Were the Arabs eventually expelled from Sicily, or did they all convert?
Or were there just very few of them?
>>
>>3343540
>Vikings who settled in North France, invade England and ended in fucking Sicily
That's mad as fucking hell
>>
>>3343529
>Enlighten me anon :3
tl;dr Two merchant republics battle each other for trading rights to the shell of the Byzantine Empire and ridiculous antics ensue all through the Mediterranean. It was badass
>>
>>3343426
>French Vikings vs Greek Romans in Italy
Best timeline
>>
>>3343599
history is full of weird things
>Napoleon was Italian, while Mazzini, Garibaldi, and Cavour were all French
>The first alphabet specifically fitted for the Belarusian language uses Arabic characters
>>
>>3343607
What a wonderful world
>>
>>3343463
>Venetian Genoese wars
I gotchu my man. I'm mad that Genoa in particular doesn't get more attention. They were a major rival to Venice and had them by the balls on more than one occasion
>>
>>3343602
If I recall, one of them got started because someone got pissed that someone from the other republic got to sit on the right side of the king of Cyprus
>>
>>3343522
The first knights
>>
>>3343870
>>3343908
Both correct
>>
>>3343575
Aren't the Normans the reason why Orthodoxy is almost non-existant in south Italy now or were there never that many Orthodox in the first place there?
>>
File: 1503458621299.jpg (40KB, 600x611px) Image search: [Google]
1503458621299.jpg
40KB, 600x611px
>>3343426
>implying there are people who don't about absolute badass /ourguy/ Bobby Guiscard
>>
>>3344785
>don't know
god damn it
>>
Venetian-Narentine Wars
>>
>>3343607
>Mazzini, Garibaldi, and Cavour were all French
The fuck? Garibaldi was from Nice, ok, but the town always had a very large italian population.
Mazzini was from Genova and Cavour (actually a title, his surname was Benso) from Torino. I don't see how you could think them french.
>>
>>3343426
It's brought up in every other byzaboo thread actually. Their 12th century conflicts are very relevant to the 4th crusade.
>>
>>3345254
t. chef boyardee
>>
>>3343522
Followers of the principal branch of the Latter Day Saint movement of Restorationist Christianity
>>
>>3343522
Norsemen
>>
File: texasnavy.png (195KB, 354x701px) Image search: [Google]
texasnavy.png
195KB, 354x701px
>>3343426

Did you know Texas allied with Yucatan at some point and had a naval battle against Mexico?
>>
>>3343522
Men from Nor.
>>
>>3343587
Why wouldn't it be a good thing at any time?
>>
>>3345321

And did you know that during yucatan's rebelllion, the indigenous mayans rose in a rebellion of their own and intended to ethnic cleans the yucatan peninsula of whites and halfbreeds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_War_of_Yucatán
>>
>>3343426
>ERE, HRE, and Venice all on the same side
goddamn what a stacked team
>>
>>3343607
>greek sculptors were the first to depict the buddha in statuary
i’ll never get over that
>>
>>3343440

I think you vastly overestimate what everyone knows.

Plenty of people don't even fucking know who the Byzantines were, much less that they had a war with the Normans.
>>
>>3343426
>seriously thinking this is obscure
How about New England on Crimea?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_(medieval)
>>
>>3345347
Don't you mean:
>RE
>
>
>
, and Venice?
>>
>>3344780
Not at all the Lombard were there first and even though the Byzantines had control over large parts of Italy, by the late 11th century, the Italian Peninsula had been purged of Orthodoxy and Catholisim centralized under the Remaining Lombard influence, Holy Roman Empire, Normans, newly established papal States.

The Normans were actually not always on the side of the pope, but through a few conquerest by Robert Guiscard, the Church strengthened their bond with The Italio-normans. Actually in 1083 I believe, Bohemond, the son of Guiscard, had to halt his invasion of Albania to come back to Italy and rescue the pope.

Cool guys those Normans.

A funny story I also read was how Bohemond was laying Seige to Almafi with his Uncle Roger of Sicily (to attempt to expand Bohemonds domain since he had been bastardized out of inheriting his Father's reign) and Bohemond noticed a band of Pillgrims headed to the Holy Land and when Bohemond asked why, the answer that they were on their way to gain riches and have forgiveness of sin inspired Bohemond to drop everything, midseige of Almafi, pack his stuff and ready himself for Jerusalem.
>>
>>3345360
>Plenty of people don't even fucking know who the Byzantines were

Yeah maybe the average 10 year old, or browser of this Board. But if don't know who the Byzantines were you probably shouldn't be posting on this board and need to read up more on your History.
>>
>>3345347
>stacked team

Kek!
Thyme couldn't even beat a couple of French Vikings.
>>
>>3343463
Why would anyone want to talk about pasta kikes at all? Merchant republics were a mistake.
>>
>>3345435
He’s right though, what kids in the West usually learn in high school is that Rome survived in the east for longer and they did their own thing. The only times Byzantium is ever touched on in more detail is the Great Schism, the crusades, and maybe the fall of Constantinople because it finalized the Renaissance.
>>
>>3343522
French-viking salad
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.