[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good books on Brazil?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: 5mNb0gD.jpg (42KB, 743x953px) Image search: [Google]
5mNb0gD.jpg
42KB, 743x953px
Going to Brazil soon, so I thought it would be good to learn a bit about it.

What are some good books about Brazil?
>>
File: Scooby Doo.jpg (37KB, 750x492px) Image search: [Google]
Scooby Doo.jpg
37KB, 750x492px
>>3339999

Why are you coming here? Brazil faces the worst possible scenario. Economic and political crises commingled, we actually have little to no government. Crime is rampant: pickpocket, assault, drug lords taking over, homicides, etc. Nowhere is safe.

That's the first bit you need to know. It pains me to say, but you should not really come here. Not now.

What exactly do you want to know about Brazil? I could write to you much of its history.
>>
>>3339999
Really, Macunaíma maybe
>>
>>3340864
Ehhhh I hope I won't get my lungs stolen, I'm staying in rich places for like, a 2 week vacation, I think I'll be
>>
>>3340890
We were in SA last year and everyone says that it's a horrible shitty place but it seems govs want tourist sites to be more clear of crime.

We'll take pickpocketing and lung stealing under consideration
>>
File: Dom Pedro II colorido.jpg (112KB, 690x960px) Image search: [Google]
Dom Pedro II colorido.jpg
112KB, 690x960px
>>3340911

Please exercise a high level of caution.

Two good books in English that perhaps you might like:

> Brazil: Five Centuries of Change

Written by brazilianist Thomas Skidmore. It is a small guide to Brazilian history from 1500 to c. 1994. This author is quite accredited here.

Link: http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=8184E049BE732C453033C9F7460F5F8E (chose one mirror in the lower section)

>The Brazilian Empire

Written by Emilia Viotti, a Brazilian historian who teached in the Tulane, Illinois and Yale universities. A comprehensive book on 19th century Brazilian politics, society, economy, etc. It is also a comparative text on Brazilian and American history. Keep in mind this historian is quite a leftist one. I did not find this book on the internet.

>Rebellion in the Backlands

Written by Euclides da Cunha. A masterpiece of national literature. It is a description, reflection and testimony of the Canudos War in the poor Brazilian northeast, in the early years of the Republic. It exposes the contradictions that exist between a progressive elite absorbed by the Belle Époque and the poor people of the Sertão, still not much different of the Portuguese peasantry.

Link: http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=1D9DA5BF23837AEAB06B4CFC6263698C
>>
>>3340864
such edginess

Brazil is the same as always, just a little more political conflict which is good, for the first time in history the monkeys are interested in politics

>>3339999
My tip?
Rio has become a piece of shit state, their culture made their bed, everyone there to northwest is a piece of shit of a person trying to be the smart ass malandro

keep your ass in São Paulo and bellow, south beches are amazing but it depends if you are in season... SP beches are good too(at least in the north part, the other parts the beches are ok)

Brazilians are usually very friendly with outsiders, but like I said, careful with Rio de Janeiro half of people there will try to rip you off
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.