[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do you guys find sources?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: LiftingStones.jpg (76KB, 362x432px) Image search: [Google]
LiftingStones.jpg
76KB, 362x432px
I want to learn a shitload about ancient strength challenges, specifically stone lifting. I want do some period strength athletics with my local SCA, but can't find any primary documentation, or any good sources in general for that matter.

Where do you guys find good reading material? Am I gonna have to read through lots of stuff about lots of different specific regions and build a big picture about lifting stones through that?

How do I into learning?
>>
A Google search for "X time period primary sources" is normally a good start.
>>
https://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
Here's a metric fuckload of sources. They may have what you're looking for
>>
>>3337192
This is unironically the type of answer I'm looking for (in case you were being snarky).

So this is confirmation that I'm going to have to collect the topic specific stuff myself. Fine by me. My case is kinda weird, because I'm interested in a fairly specific facet of ancient cultures, and also because I'm partly looking for stuff that is confirmative of the existence of the stuff I'm actually interested in. So I'm not sure exactly what specific time periods, cultures, and regions are gonna yield information about what I'm looking for, which is people who picked up rocks as tests of strength.

Part of my problem also is that there are multiple instances of specific thing being talked about with different important details. So I'm trying to find the truth about it.
>>
>>3337212
Dude, holy shit, this is fucking awesome. Is this you who's put this together, because it's off the hook.

Where can I find more gold mines like this? Are there any good internet communities for this type of thing, more so that /his/?
>>
>>3337226

Not snarky at all. Some periods have websites with nothing but primary sources, like the BBCs Peoples War. Earlier stuff is normally only in books because it requires translation and the people who can do it want paying, though snippets make it online in articles and other media. It may also be helpful to just search for websites and read books generally related to your chose topic and see what primary sources they refer to, then looking them up.

By the way, searching for a guy called Boucicaut or the youtube video "can you move on armour" may be useful to you.
>>
>>3337254
>...websites and read books generally related to your chose topic and see what primary sources they refer to...

I thought I could do this with wikipedia, but the page on "Lifting_Stones" had like 5 shitty, dead links for references. It was dumb. But on the other hand, there was a "Lifting_Stones" page to begin with, full of really cool stuff completely related to what I'm trying to learn about, so that's an advantage.

It's a hard knock life.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.