[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spirituality: stuck in limbo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

File: 1501436576803.png (1MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1501436576803.png
1MB, 1024x1024px
Backstory
>ĂȘtre moi
>Christian
>went through an Episcopalian elementary and another Episcopalian high school
>staunch libertarian worldview which has a strong effect on spirituality
>dad grew up in Afghanistan and is Muslim but doesn't practice whatsoever
>for example bacon is his favorite food, he drinks, has never prayed 5x/day in his life, when I call him out on anything he just says the Quran never mentions it
>same story with Christian mom, doesn't go to church or claim she's any denomination
>both parents hella secular
>never considered myself as any one denomination similar to my mother
>never went to church outside of school church services
>always considered Christianity as solely between you and God, belief is all that matters and not practice, always wanted to stay away from getting caught up in religious politics until recently
So now I'm gonna stop greentexting because it's tedious and I suck at it, my sentences are too long and it defeats the point

Basically, I'm all that I just mentioned, flash forward to a few weeks ago and I decided to join a denomination. Figured that it's stupid to keep calling myself nondenominational because autists automatically assume that it means b*ptist.

I figured, why not Episcopalian, because that's how I grew up. Also was looking at Anglican because of my sort of libertarian/conservative POV.

I was all for it until recently, my best friend was talking about how he didn't enjoy the church services from high school because of the service leader. For reference he's a commited Episcopalian.

He said that it was so horrible how the guy made everything into a "praising out loud, waving hands in the air, singing fun songs" type of service. Apparently my buddy is more used to a traditional "sit down and pray" type of service.

The fact that he was SO pissed off about it was a huge awakening for me. I've always considerer myself Protestant but I just wanted to tell out "Luther, you fucking kraut" at that exact moment. CONT
>>
File: I2KmUhq.gif (2MB, 383x576px) Image search: [Google]
I2KmUhq.gif
2MB, 383x576px
Why, oh why, would anyone be so mad over such a minor grievance? It made no sense to me why anyone would care THAT much. It was at that moment I realized that Protestantism was truly a mistake.

Do not get me wrong, nothing rubs me in the in the wrong direction more than Catholicism. While I respect their traditions and commitments greatly more so than the denominations formed up north, the idea of another man being closer to God than I am is an inconceivable untruth.

Where do I turn? I can't just stay in this state of limbo, but Protestantism and Catholicism are now equally garbage in my eyes. I wouldn't know the first thing about Orthodoxy other than people saying it's healthy for you as well as /pol/tards worshiping it for some reason (which sort of scares me but I should never turn something down solely because of its fanbase).

What do I do? Please no fedora answers, keep this &humanities thread relevant.
>>
To clarify, I was raised in Episcopalian schools that were accepting of all backgrounds to an almost radical extent. They never truly focused on what it was to be "Episcopalian" it was more just generic 45 minute church services once or twice a week. That's why I said I'd try to turn towards the denomination I supposedly grew up in, despite being surrounded by it nobody ever truly explained to me what it entailed. Maybe my worldview was shaped by it which is why I'm having difficulty telling it apart. Tough to say. You tell me. Fuck I hate typing on my phone.
>>
File: 9.jpg (9KB, 360x140px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
9KB, 360x140px
Reply to me dammit
>>
File: 1504505476642.jpg (67KB, 711x711px) Image search: [Google]
1504505476642.jpg
67KB, 711x711px
You've made up your mind about some things and try to fit them into the frameworks of a denomination because you don't know any better.
Unfortunately your views don't exactly match up so you've got this "problem" now.

I can give you two piece of advice:
If you value your original thought then stop trying to fit. Unless you want to imagine that religion is a highschool clique.
On the other hand you can also conform yourself to a dogma of your choice. People don't write stuff into holy books so you can choose to ignore or interpret it in your own "original" way. Accept that God and your free will don't match up and become a devote follower instead of forcing your views on God.

Although I don't think that you are interested but you can also escape this childish theatre and stop believing in spooks because someone told you to.
>>
File: 1503936009024.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1503936009024.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
>>3334554
>muslim dad married a non-pious christian and didn't bother passing islam to his son
haram
>>
By the way, why do you think that protestantism has to do with "praising out loud, waving hands in the air, singing fun songs"?

That seems highly unrelated to anything.
>>
>>3334554

>both parents hella secular

Honestly, it's going to be extremely difficult for you to stick to a religion because of this.

I would genuinely say you should look at Quakerism because it encourages freedom of thought when it comes to Christ and God. You'll be searching for answers forever I'm afraid, sorry, that's just how it's going to go.
>>
Be Episcopal. They're the best of all current denominations, I would say, in that they accept the importance of tradition and apostolic succession while at the same time being willing to debate stuff.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.