[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Mansa Musa richest guy who ever lived on this planet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

Was Mansa Musa richest guy who ever lived on this planet?
>>
I've read stuff to the effect of Bill Gates being the richest in terms of actual purchasing power, but since wealthy Romans could and did pay armies out-of-pocket, I have trouble believing it. Who knows how many mercs Bill could buy, though?
>>
>>332973
If I remember correctly John D. Rockefeller's wealth was about 200 billion dollars in today's money.
>>
I think Rockefeller was richer. That's not to say that Musa wasn't influential since he drove up inflation of gold.
>>
Problem is, at least in my opinion, that money doesn't have 'real' power.
Not real power anymore, not like gold still has or use to have.
>>
>>332973
But Bill Gates isn't even the richest man in the world anymore. It's Carlos Slim. He cornered the latin American telecommunications market.
>>
>>333016
>money has no real power
m8 what
>>
>>332962
>richest man on the planet
>doesn't even own a pair of shoes
>>
If we are talking about riches relative to the purchasing power of the rest of humanity then I would think the Persian Empire wins.
>>
If you count gold as having the same value as it does today then yes. However back then it wouldn't have had as much significance/purchasing power nor practical usage considering he was king of a relatively isolated area.
>>
>>333016
Nigga I can fund people to support my causes.Fund mercs and rebels control government policy, manipulate and dominate governments at the federal,provincial and municipal level.
>>
>>333016
its like you dont even know whats going right before your very eyes in american politics. eat more burger murrifat, maybe youll see the light eventually
>>
I doubt a fucking black would be the richest. That's obviously fake. Go back to /lit/ or something.
>>
>>333032
>But Bill Gates isn't even the richest man in the world anymore. It's Carlos Slim. He cornered the latin American telecommunications market.

Negative.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chasewithorn/2015/03/02/forbes-billionaires-full-list-of-the-500-richest-people-in-the-world-2015/
>>
File: ishugddt.jpg (9KB, 120x151px) Image search: [Google]
ishugddt.jpg
9KB, 120x151px
>>333163
>>
>>333163
nice false flag, /lit/

go be a degenerate somewhere else
>>
>>333237
>le degeneracy meme
Stop reinforcing /pol/ stereotypes you double bluffer

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>333253
very problematic post right there

>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>333314
So you're going even deeper with the irony
>>>/DFW/
>>
>>333320
>>333314
>>333253
>>333237
>>333163

Oh for goodness sake /pol/ quit it.
>>
>>333002
>>332996
Mansa Musa had an estimated wealth of double that
>>
>>332962
I dunno, Crassus was pretty fucking rich.
>>
>>332962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3YJMaL55TM
>>
>>332962
he may have been the richest but he wasen't the smartest. he should have spent less money on meaningless gifts that started inflations instead he should have spended that money in buying weapons aandkeeping up with the latest technology so that his descendants wouldn't be BTFO by morrocans in the 17th century.
>>
I've heard Crassus was supposedly richer, but that far back into history it is basically impossible to be sure of exactly how much money they really had, or what their purchasing power was relative to today or whatever. Mansa Musa is about as good as a few other candidates for richest person ever though.
>>
>>332962
It's the Rothschilds. When pretty much every banknote in the first world is an IOU to your family, you rule the economy.
>>
No, it was Jacob Fugger
>>
>>333481
But that's an entire family, not one person.
>>
>>333481
I've heared this illuminati meme before. Is there any credible source that talks about this?
>>
>>333506
It's not an Illuminati meme, the Rothschild family was family of bankers who at one point were quite possibly the richest people in the world.
>>
>>333568
Spoonfeed me or go to /pol/
>>
>>332973
It only costs 3.5k american to buy a ceate of 15 ak's.
If you pay a militia per job a-la vassalized mercs you can get a small army for relatively cheap
If you want to buy a professional trained army however that is astronomical due to the supporting costs of basing, supply, supporting personnel, etc.
In his time you where paid with either spoils, tax writeoff or where working for templars/mercs/one of the very few professional armies at the time or where nobility.

Paying nobility isnt a thing since they are providing bodies for land, one expense written off.

Paying paesants is as easy as saying "loot when your done/best performance gets a title/hey no taxes for x months/its your duty to your leige" etc. So thats no or next to no cost.

Now for professional soldiers at the time you needed facilities (which in that era to even act as an administrator at all you had anyways) and equipment (which once again you had the facilities to get) all that needed done was drilling and payment which could have been in a LOT of things. Like how the romans used salt.

Buying an army then to buying an army now is WAY different. Mansa could have probably bought incalculable crates of AK's but god bless the man who tries to actually support a fighting force.
>>
>>333586
fuck off
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 475x345px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 475x345px
>>333732
No it doesn't. An AK goes for 200 dollars on Bakara. 500 for an rpg-20 and 4000 for a hilux. Why would you want an untested Kalashkinov beats me. It's always better to buy old because the Ammo is cheaper
>>
>>333213
Well what do you know. I feel like it's the 90's again.
>>
>>334297

where can you get a hilux for 4k?

http://www.gebrauchtwagen.at/ergebnis_suche.php?marke=Toyota&modell=Hilux&submit=1

cheapest is 10k, and these are 2nd hand cars...
>>
>>334349
There's a shitload of them imported and never used. it might be my mistake tho
>>
>>335001
Fuck off /v/eddit, he was a legitimate African King, none of this Afro Centrist nonsense.
>>
>>332973
>Who knows how many mercs Bill could buy, though?
Enough.
>>
>richest man in history
>never invested it in longlasting infrastructure and statecraft
>threw it from his horse at peasants instead
>had wild parties with it

what's the point of being so rich if you squander it all?
>>
>>333465
>C.E.
stopped watching right there
>>
>>332962
It was probably Mongke, to be honest. He was the last Khan to enjoy unified power over the Mongol Empire.
>>
>>332962
>richest guy is a nigger
>africa is still a shithole

kek
>>
>>335293
Well what are you supposed to spend it on if industrialization is miles off?

Most of the foreign trade goods were frivolous shit like spices and silk. The only thing I can think of that would actually be useful to spend the money on is creating libraries and transcribing text.
>>
>>335335
Expanding the empire.
>>
>>335398
What's there to expand into?

There's like a 50 mile wide strip by the coast where West Africa is actually habitable, and the rest is worthless desert.

Besides, West African states only really existed for trade.
>>
>>335409
Some pretty poor excuses m8
>richest person in world
>stranglehold on vital trade routes
>can do anything
>fuck it, im staying in tonight, the world can conquer itself
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.