[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mormonism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 193x261px
Everything about Joseph Smith and this region is fucked up
>>
I'm sure Utah has to have something going for it.
>>
It 's religion not region OP. But yeah I agree. It's fucking stupid
>>
>>332945
kek'd
>>
it's pretty much a meme these days though
>>
>>332945

Park City. Everything else is shit.
>>
At less other religions have the excuse that it happened so far in the past it's hard to get dirt on their founders. Smith was widely regarded as a charlatan in his own time and the historical record is very damning.
>>
>>333033
At least he didn't flat out say he was a cob artist like Hubbard did
>>
>>332945
>>333024
Provo is the best city I've ever lived in.
>>
M A G I C U N D E R W E A R
>>
how true was that south park episode?
>>
>>333099
Accurate along with its meme sister Scientology
>>
>>333099
If its true I find it hard to believe the followers hadnt realised and only followed it because it was fun or something.
>>
>>333099

As someone who grew up in a Mormon community despite not being one, nothing they actually said was untrue.

But what the mormon kid at the end says is more important to mormons.
>>
>>333033

Source?
>>
They're a culture and a community more than they are a religion. Oddly I think Fallout New Vegas explained Mormonism very well with the character Joshua Graham

>We wear more clothing than them and understand more about technology, but we're still a tribe, a linked family of families. The Boneyard, Phoenix, New Vegas, they're just places, metal and stone. New Canaan dies, but the tribe lives on. When the walls come tumbling down, when you lose everything you have, you always have family. And your family always has tribe.
>>
>>333287
Not him but you can look up legal documents of him being arrested for trying to con people and having been sued.
>>
>>333288
Joshua Graham's faith made him a good leader, but besides their organized attempts at medicine, that's all they were good for.
>>
>>332938
WE IZ SPESS CHRISTIANZ
>>
>>333489

They were also good at war, but that's only if you let Graham be that way again.

Letting him wipe out the White Legs, but sparing Salt-Upon-Wounds in showing mercy, is the best option because it's a tenant of Mormonism, in that defending yourself when necesary is important (and historically relevant to their people), but don't let yourself become a monster.
>>
>>333271
>>333288
Raised Mormon and came here to say
this.

For most Mormons, the community and the values of that community are far more important than the actual religion. A lot of Mormon kids know from a young age that the actual religion is retarded. They choose to stay in the Church largely because they like the sense of community and because they agree with the Church's values and lifestyle. It's a very wholesome and healthy way to live, whatever you think about Mormon beliefs.
>>
>>332945
>rich
>clean
>safe
>moral
just based on results, mormonism > christianity
>>
>>335146
I've never been anything other than an atheist, but Mormonism really presents a paradox I'm not sure about: is it worth believing in something that untrue if in the end it makes you and everyone else happier and more productive?
>>
>>335262
That's a question only you can answer anon.

I personally many Mormons who are perfectly happy people even though they don't "really" believe in their religion.

I would say it's not easy if you are pessimistic person by nature though.
>>
>>335176
Based on GDP, though, Michigan beats Utah. Which suggests an acceptance of Michigan values, over those of Utah.
>>
>>335286
Michigan, mind you, has tons of Muslims in Dearborn, and blacks in Detroit. Flint isn't doing so hot, but they make a mean Coney Dog.
>>
Just wait 2000 years from most of the records form the periods to disappear. Mormonism will sound a lot more legit.
>>
File: Saladin_fist.jpg (35KB, 637x480px) Image search: [Google]
Saladin_fist.jpg
35KB, 637x480px
>>335296
>mfw I work at Coney Island Hot Dog in Michigan
>>
>>332945
moab isn't bad
>>
>>335282

Understanding this helped me make peace with the idea of religion and religious people. Some religious people don't 100% believe their religious text, but religion helps them in their day-to-day lives in ways like providing answers to difficult ethical and moral questions and making them part of a community that is otherwise hard to come by.

For some people, it just helps them make sense of the world, and as an atheist that is always tormented by philosophical questions like "Am I using my life constructively or wasting it? If I benefit from the suffering of others, does that make me evil even though I am not directly responsible for their suffering?", I can see the value that that sense of understanding has, and I can't be mad at people who find it in religion.
>>
>>333287
The most damning piece of evidence would be the Book of Abraham in which Joseph Smith claimed to translate its meaning from some papyrus scrolls before anyone knew how to read Hieroglyphics. Modern Egyptologists have revealed that it's 100% bullshit. He didn't get a single detail right.

The mormon church has some hilarious mental gymnastics involving it. Predominantly trying to redefine the word translate.
>>
>>335282
>I personally many Mormons who are perfectly happy people even though they don't "really" believe in their religion.

Ah, Jack Mormons. I know a few of those personally.

Basically the Mormon equivalent of Christmas and Easter Catholics.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.