[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best episode of In Our Time ever recorded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

https://itunes.apple.com/kr/podcast/the-industrial-revolution/id463700741?i=1000097068125&l=en&mt=2

>After 10 minutes Bragg is satisfied that the listening audience fully understands that Britain changed the world and we move safely on from ‘historical overview’ to our first GCSE question. This one’s easy. Best give this one to Hudson lest she start talking Welsh…

>Bragg: Pat, what were the 3 main causes of the Industrial Revolution?

>Hudson: We must get away from the idea that [the Industrial Revolution] was caused by a wave of gadgets or by a peculiar inventive ability of British science or scientists-

>Bragg: Why?? WHY?? You are not giving this fair due in my mind—Why must we get away from it? People invent stuff, they made things, this made things happen and you keep denying it. ... "Oh its all to do with the broad sweep of history”. Listen people invented things that hadn’t been there before which enabled things to happen that had not happened before.

>Hudson: Can I say that that really does characterise nationalistic accounts of the period with a peculiar sort of emphasis on British genius or...

Bragg: I didn’t say that!

Hudson: Or the superiority of the British as a race, this characterises some really almost racist accounts of the Industrial Revolution…

>Bragg: OH NO! COME ON—THAT’S RUBBISH!!
>Bragg: Hold on! When you start talking about my arguments as racist—that’s really not on.

Also lol at the guy comparing c.17th Britain to Japan in the Tokugawa Shogunate
>>
Leftists are only interested in history because of their agendas. They don't see the industrial revolution as the most momentous event in history next to the development of agriculture, they see that it predominantly involves white males and fear racists might use it in theories of racial superiority therefore it must be downplayed and obfuscated as much as possible.
>>
>>3318989
that's a grotesque strawman. one can acknowledge that white men created the foundations of the industrial revolution but still dismiss the notion that there's a "british genius", specially when critical british inventiveness declined as the 19th century wore on to be replaced by further and perhaps even more ingenious innovations by other whitebois
>>
>>3318989
Wtf? That's a gross misunderstanding of what she was saying. She never denied how momentous an event it was
>>
>>3319022
If one can easily explain the industrial revolution without the notion that there's an inherent "British genius", why do Hudson and others want to throw out any notion that the British might have been a little ahead of the curve at points?

They see it as "too close" to saying the British are inherently superior, also it is generally not part of the narrative they are trying to push which in their mind is enough to make it bad.

These people aren't looking for answers, they don't give a shit and try their best to shit all over every discussion and how history is taught.
>>
>>3319048
She literally states that looking at the science behind the industrial revolution is a racist account of the industrial revolution and you can easily find more people like this on reddit and elsewhere.

Even something as benign as a diagram of a steam engine causes them to throw a massive fit and demand it be suppressed.
>>
>>3319076
ehh, i'm just going off of skimming OP. I actually have read a lot of british history books and i think the economic and social conditions were uniquely british and there is something very interesting going on in british society and thinking that allows events to take place as they did. So yeah if their argument is that "it sounds too much like" i.e. conflating two ideas that aren't necessarily connected than thats just wrong of them.
>>
>>3319022
>british
>white men

what did you mean by that, exactly?
>>
>>3319086
What? She never uses the word racist
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.