[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite monuments and memorials

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 11

File: vimy.jpg (1022KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
vimy.jpg
1022KB, 3072x2304px
Can we just have a thread about monuments and memorials that we like, and why we like them? I'm in Europe, so I'm hoping to visit a lot of them in the next few years.

I'll start
>Canadian National Vimy Ridge Memorial
>All 4 divisions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force managed to win the fight against the Germans, only because of precise planning and teamwork
>Even Hitler refused to destroy it because he thought it was beautiful
>>
Genghis Khan in Mongolia.
In the middle of the steppe, like he would've wanted, made of metal, like he would've wanted.
>>
File: alamo.jpg (107KB, 800x610px) Image search: [Google]
alamo.jpg
107KB, 800x610px
Been here, the Alamo memorial out front is just as cool as the church, imo. The Mexican military dragged their bodies here and burned them.

>>3311841
Have you seen drone footage of it? I'd love to visit, and am planning a road trip to Mongolia eventually. Imagine when they find his tomb, the memorials then.
The
>>
File: GermansBTFO.jpg (273KB, 999x666px) Image search: [Google]
GermansBTFO.jpg
273KB, 999x666px
Treptower Park.
>That soviet realism
>Protecting the baby
>Crushing the G*rman

What is not to love?
>>
File: LibertyMemorialImage_0.jpg (583KB, 1186x857px) Image search: [Google]
LibertyMemorialImage_0.jpg
583KB, 1186x857px
WW1 memorial in Kansas City, Missouri
>>
>>3312079
Lol I'm pretty close to there right now
>>
File: freedom monument riga.jpg (252KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
freedom monument riga.jpg
252KB, 1024x683px
Freedom Monument in Riga

It's to independence fighters after WW1; It was about to be torn down by the Russians because Latvians would demand independence by it and stage protests, but architects decided to keep it because it was beautiful.

Still controversial because every year members of the Latvian SS meet here
>>
>>3311841
>like he would've wanted
No.

He didn't want to be found out, which is why there is no real tomb of him.
>>
File: send_binary_mid.jpg (62KB, 800x1066px) Image search: [Google]
send_binary_mid.jpg
62KB, 800x1066px
Sexy
>>
>>3311841
Unfortunately not draped in concubines and the blood of his enemies, like he would've wanted. :(
>>
>>3312302
I thought his tomb was discovered. Or I'm confusing with someone else?
>>
File: verdun ossuary.jpg (130KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
verdun ossuary.jpg
130KB, 1024x683px
Mine would have to be the Douaumont Ossuary at Verdun. Every battleground I've been to had an eerie feel to it. It wasnt necessarily spooky mind you, but just the thought of "Wow, many people died right here where I am standing." The Ossuary also had pits where masses pf random unidentified bones could be seen through windows, honoring the unknown soldiers.
>>
File: P70731-105752.jpg (873KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
P70731-105752.jpg
873KB, 1440x2560px
The memorial for Soviet soldiers in Bratislava is breathtaking.
>>
>>3313089
Bratislava in general is a nice place to visit.
>>
>>3312302
>Found out
Hey? What do you mean
>>
>>3312114
Why do Russians get upset when people who's countries they forcibly annexed and forced communism on have anti-Russian sentiments?
>>
File: 1496919636285.jpg (636KB, 1920x1246px) Image search: [Google]
1496919636285.jpg
636KB, 1920x1246px
I recently visited the monument to the Battle of Leipzig. I'm not sure what to think of some of the symbolism but the size was pretty impressive by itself.
>>
>>
>>3313197
Apparently he ordered [someone else more likely] that the whole horde rides over his grave so there is no trace left of it so it doesnt become a focal point and that [presumably] the whole steppe is his.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.