[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /phi/ this is going to be a semi-long post as I need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1499335693640.png (98KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1499335693640.png
98KB, 1920x1200px
Alright /phi/ this is going to be a semi-long post as I need your help in identifying the closest sect of philosophy I should align myself with.

First, let me tell you a bit about myself. I used to be an obese, insecure introvert that played video games and spent a shit ton of money. I was pretty much like this from 13 years old to the end of Fall semester of my freshman year. I got tired of being a shy, insecure virgin and lost weight. I'm now slightly overweight even after building muscle from lifting weights, so I've come a long way, although I have not reached my goal yet. Back then I never wanted to party, drink, do drugs, or in general go to big social events. Now I want the exact opposite, in fact, I am now extroverted (I am a sophomore so I changed largely in the Spring this year). I no longer play video games and I try to get out socially on the weekends.

Now I will try to explain these changes: I have always thought of myself as more of redpilled when it came to my world view. I realize that everyone around me (that is in America, a first world country) is living in paradise compared to third world shitholes. I feel guilty for this, I take shit for granted. Because of this, I think I realized this and finally started to cut out some of the pleasures of my life like food and video games. It could just be that I became more outgoing as one could argue that partying is as much as indulgence as playing a game.

The core issue: I am an atheist, I don't see a reason to believe in a God. In fact, I believe that whether or not a God exists is not the issue, as I don't think it can be the root cause of existence. In short, I think existence is impossible to understand, it's a paradox. Am I nihilistic? Absolutely not. I think this idea should encourage people to live their life to the fullest as life is all we know. Because of this, I want to maximize the potential of my life and hope to please others while doing so.

Will continue in next post.
>>
>>3309221
Holy fuck I just /phi/ cause this is pretty much my first time on this board.

Anyways, continuing.

Sometimes I genuinely think I would sacrifice myself to save humanity or a large sum of people, whatever the scenario is. Idk why, maybe a lot of other people think this as well, but I think my sacrifice would be worth it if it meant everyone got to live and enjoy the rest of their lives. This is why I feel guilty about living in such a luxurious life, even as a poor college student. Because I know that I can give my life up right now and aid those that are in need. Why don't I do it? I don't know. Perhaps I think that isn't the best approach to solving our problems. At the same time, I want to live my life, however.

Anyways, if you guys can give me some readings and material to study up on this, I'd appreciate it.

If any of you have similar thoughts, please share. I'd love to discuss.
>>
>>3309221

This is not your blog, literally no-one cares. No, not even your mother.
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>3309247
Perhaps /adv/ would be a better place to post this.
>>
>>3309241
>>3309221
>HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Yeah, no.
>>
Fuck off and read philosophy if you're actually interested in it. Maybe then you'll get rid of your Rick-and-Morty tier reddit worldview.
Read Plato motherfucker
>>
>>3309262
>Rick-and-Morty tier reddit worldview

Lol what?
>>
Where do I subscribe?
>>
>>3309221
Read Sartre, Kierkegaard and Camus
>>
Read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. It's about your philosophy level.
>>
>>3309294
Lol fuck off. I haven't said anything about my knowledge of philosophy, just that I don't know what my thoughts align the most with.
>>
>>3309221
Eh, I'll bite.

You want to help people? Educate yourself in and area that will enable you to, and be engaged with people around you who have similar aspirations while you do so.

As for Philosopy, start with the Greeks, any basic text or wikipedia will do. Aristotle has a moral philosophy based on virtue, which sounds right up your alley. But all of Classical philosophy is an argument bout ethics. There is also, Confucius, Mencius and Mozi, maybe try looking at the latter, especially. You can find basic introductory classes on philosophy in general on itunes if you can't at your local university.
>>
>>3309302
Well I want to go into academia. I'm studying physics. I've taken basic philosophy classes.

So far >>3309287
has been the most helpful.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.