[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the single greatest defense of a small city/village?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1941.jpg (183KB, 792x599px) Image search: [Google]
1941.jpg
183KB, 792x599px
What's the single greatest defense of a small city/village?
>>
also are traps gay
>>
>>3301793
Lmao epik comment dude XDDDDDDDD
>>
>>3301782
Malta and Pavlov's House
>>
>>3301838
>Pavlov's House

This.
>>
>>3301838
>Pavlos House

Im fiercly anti communist and anti marxism in general but that shit was amazing.
>>
>>3301838
Seconding both of those and adding Defence of Van in 1915
>>
>>3301782
Siege of Kozelsk during Mongol invasion of Rus comes to mind
It was a small border fortress with little defenders and 12 years old prince but the siege unexpectedly turned out to be a nightmare for Mongols and took approx. 2 monts out of whole 5 months of Batu's campaigh, the Mongols' chronicles reffered to Kozels as Evil Town after that

Not sure if there are good English sources, Wikipedia artilce on the subject is incomplete and poorly translated
>>
>>3301782
Rorke's Ridge ofcourse
>>
Singapore
>>
File: 1478072894306.png (320KB, 970x2445px) Image search: [Google]
1478072894306.png
320KB, 970x2445px
Belgrade. In the long run, they unintentionally saved the city from complete destruction.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans
>>
>>3301782
T*tar subhumans BTFO
>>
File: seven samurai.jpg (25KB, 515x318px) Image search: [Google]
seven samurai.jpg
25KB, 515x318px
>>
File: 7.png (185KB, 279x905px) Image search: [Google]
7.png
185KB, 279x905px
ultaimtely lost defense, but the Ottomans got burnt hard.

also one of history's greatest display of chivalry and heroism

>Cardinal Richelieu was reported to have described it as "the battle that saved civilization

>Count Zrinski found himself besieged by a hostile army of at least 150,000 soldiers with powerful artillery.
>Zrinski had assembled a force of around 2,300 Croatian and Hungarian soldiers prior to the siege

>When the Sultan appeared before the Fortress he saw the walls hung with red cloth, as though for a festive reception, and a single great cannon thundered once to greet the mighty warrior monarch

>After over a month of exhausting and bloody struggle the few remaining defenders retreated into the old town for their last stand. The Sultan tried to entice Zrinski to surrender, ultimately offering him leadership of Croatia under Ottoman influence Count Zrinski did not reply and continued to fight

>The final battle began on 7 September, the day after Suleiman's demise. By this time, the fortress walls had been reduced to rubble by mining with explosives and wood fueled fires at the corners of the walls

>Soon the castle, the last stronghold within Szigetvár, was set ablaze and cinders fell into the apartments of the count.
>Zrinski prepared for a last charge addressing his troops:
>"Let us go out from this burning place into the open and stand up to our enemies. Who dies – he will be with God. Who dies not – his name will be honoured. I will go first, and what I do, you do. And God is my witness – I will never leave you, my brothers and knights!...
>>
>>3302446

>Zrinski did not allow the final assault to break into the castle. As the Turks were pressing forwards along a narrow bridge the defenders suddenly flung open the gate and fired a large mortar loaded with broken iron, killing 600 attackers. Zrinski then ordered a charge and led his remaining 600 troops out of the castle. He received two musket wounds in his chest and was killed shortly afterwards by an arrow to the head.

>The Turks took the castle and most of the defenders were slain. A few of the captured defenders were spared by Janissaries who had admired their courage,with only seven defenders managing to escape through the Ottoman lines. Zrinski's corpse was beheaded and his head taken to the new Sultan, while his body received an honourable burial by a Turk who had been his prisoner, and well treated by him

>Before leading the final sortie by the castle garrison, Zrinski ordered a fuse be lit to the powder magazine.After cutting down the last of the defenders the besiegers poured into the fortress. The Ottoman Army entered the remains of Szigetvár and fell into the booby trap; thousands perished in the blast when the castle's magazine exploded
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.