[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on the resource curse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2195.jpg (140KB, 642x580px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2195.jpg
140KB, 642x580px
What are your thoughts on the resource curse?
>>
>>3299209
It's hilarious because it's an accidental remonstrance to the environmental determinism mentality that "well of-course the west succeeded England has loads of lush green fields and coal and loads of pre-domesticated animals" or some shit.
If conservatives weren't ran out of humanities departments, we'd all have a much more coherent understanding of the world.
But whatever we're not allowed to talk empirically here as the leftists who run this board know empiricism is a dark-art practiced by racists.
Better we allow the ills of our world to exacerbate than talk honestly about race.
>>
File: africa.png (96KB, 600x643px) Image search: [Google]
africa.png
96KB, 600x643px
resource curse is all but irrelevant as an explanation for africa's woes
>>
>>3299285
brains are in reverse order
>>
>>3299278
There's plenty of evidence for dutch disease and it has nothing to do with leftism.
An ultracompetitive natural resources sector generates lots of exportations, which appreciates the local currency, which makes the other tradable goods less competitive. It's completely uncontroversial.
>>
>>3299278

It is observed that relative resource abundance has a negative effect on economic growth. This observation and research about what causes it are subjects in economics, not humanities.
>>
>>3299304
>>3299307
>replying to a guy with a conservative persecution complex.
>>
>>3299304
>>3299307
Dutch disease is also a relatively new phenomenon. Having rich coal and iron reserves up until the mid-20th century was a great boon for your industrial development, being a coal exporter in the 21st century is not quite as desirable.
>>
>>3299326
Also fluctuations in resource pricing
>>
File: ..jpg (71KB, 492x306px) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
71KB, 492x306px
>>3299326
How is it new? It was coined in the mid 20th century and applies to phenomenon before that too. On the other hand, I don't see any relation between iron reserves and development. If anything, I see the opposite, except in the case of china that depreciates its currency artificially.
>>
>>3299304
It's confirmation bias, just a bunch of libs trying to explain why, if we are all equal, are some people so much better than others and desperately trying to not persuade themselves of the obvious.
>It's completely uncontroversial.
Lot's of things are when you run literal Nobel laureates out for wrong-think
>>
>>3299373
Stop trying to force politics into everything you literal faggot
>>
>>3299373
>desperately trying to not persuade themselves of the obvious
Of what exactly? The dutch disease didn't appear in relation nor is limited to africa, retard. On the other hand, you haven't explained how does having ultracompetitive primary resource exports doesn't affect the competitiveness of other sectors via currency appreciation. If you're just a /pol/tard who came here to whine about a leftist conspiracy, kindly fuck off.
>>
>>3299355
The 1950s are incredibly recent when we're including pre-colonial Africa in the discussion.
>>
>>3299373

What if I told it exists outside of Africa? Besides that, the causal relationship has been proven by econometric research. Or are you going to claim liberals have corrupted mathematics now?

You are fucking pathetic mate. I have no love for niggers or leftists, but when you pollute actual fucking science with your political prejudices, you do more harm than good for any right wing cause.
>>
>>3299554
Don't call us niggers.
>>
>>3299209
Watch the documentary Empire of Dust. You will understand Africa.
>>
>>3300035
Niggers.
>>
>>3300679
Empire of dust explains NOTHING at all about Africa, Congo, Chinese-Congolese/African relations, nor about the recent Chines increase in foreign investment.

At best it's a slice of life.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.