[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SMS Möwe logs and non u boat WW1 merchant attacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: 300px-SMS_Mowe.jpg (13KB, 300x157px) Image search: [Google]
300px-SMS_Mowe.jpg
13KB, 300x157px
Does anyone know where it's possible to find logs for the SMS Möwe? It was a Corvette disguised as a freighter and sunk 28 or 34 ships in two tours. Also thread for merchant warfare in WW1. U-boats are overrated
>>
File: HMS President.jpg (2MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
HMS President.jpg
2MB, 2272x1704px
>>3287740
>Does anyone know where it's possible to find logs for the SMS Möwe?

Schmalenbach, Paul German raiders: A history of auxiliary cruisers of the German Navy, 1895–1945 (Naval Institute Press 1979) ISBN 0-87021-824-7

Also reminder that there is one Q-ship still in existence docked on the Thames
>>
Sweet Anon. Anybody know anything about the comparison in effectiveness between u boats and q ships?
>>
File: LUSITANIA-PIC-2.jpg (362KB, 1744x1031px) Image search: [Google]
LUSITANIA-PIC-2.jpg
362KB, 1744x1031px
>>3290168

>There may have been as many as 366 Q-ships, of which 61 were lost.[5] After the war, it was concluded that Q-ships were greatly overrated, diverting skilled seamen from other duties without sinking enough U-boats to justify the strategy. In a total of 150 engagements, British Q-ships destroyed 14 U-boats and damaged 60, at a cost of 27 Q-ships lost out of 200. Q-ships were responsible for about 10% of all U-boats sunk, ranking them well below the use of ordinary minefields in effectiveness.

Their main effect was enraging the German admiralty into abandoning the cruiser rules and start attacking all ships without warning, which inevitably led to the sinking of the Lusitania and American intervention.

Of course, if you happened to be a believer in (((Perfidious Albion))), one might argue that was the actual intent of the Q-ships. Trick the German navy into attacking shipping indiscriminately and put them in a direct confrontation with the United States.
>>
>That time an Australian Cruiser got BTFO by a German merchant liner with some strapped on guns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_between_HMAS_Sydney_and_German_auxiliary_cruiser_Kormoran
Worse than the Emu War tbqh
>>
Good thread, some folks in my family were in the British merchant navy during the first world war so I know a bit about them. An indirect relative was a captain and got sunk by a small German cruiser with relatively few casualties and was able to secure good treatment for his crew when the captains discovered they were both Masons. My great-grandad was a junior radio technician on another ship and did the Murmansk run a couple of times, cold as hell apparently.
>>
File: pure rage pepe.jpg (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pure rage pepe.jpg
14KB, 500x500px
>>3290238

>Krauts machine-gunned survivors in the water
>>
>>3287740
>28 or 34 ships

meanwhile on wikipedia
>several
>>
>>3290238
WAR CRIME
>>
>>3290195
>HELP HELP. GERMANY SANK ONE OF OUR AMMUNITION SHIPS, USA HEEEELPPPP
>>
File: Sinking_Cap_Trafalgar.jpg (73KB, 529x355px) Image search: [Google]
Sinking_Cap_Trafalgar.jpg
73KB, 529x355px
>When you encounter the ship you're supposed to be disguised as and it's also been converted into a merchant cruiser
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Cap_Trafalgar#World_War_I_battle_with_Carmania
>>
>>3292307

ruse cruisers
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.