[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strategic rationale for Napoleon invasion of Russia.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: map_of_war_1812.gif (85KB, 696x600px) Image search: [Google]
map_of_war_1812.gif
85KB, 696x600px
I'm going to admit, I've never studied the Napoleonic wars in great depth, so I could be asking a stupid question here. But at least I was under the impression that the primary reason Napoleon invaded Russia was that the Russians were undermining the Continental system and trading with Britain, and he wanted to force them to cut that shit out.

Was Russian-British trade really that big of a deal? I would have thought that Britain, with her colonial empire in places like the Carribean, India, and Canada, as well as acess to places all over the world like the U.S., China, South Anerica, etc. would have Russian trade as a pretty miniscule amount compared to the stuff coming in from other places.

Furthermore, what's the big rush? Again, I'm assuming rather than doing real research, but I would have thought that the amount of population, wealth, and proto-industry in what Napoleon controlled in Europe would dwarf that of Britain. If you really want to take them out, wait 5-10 years, build up another, colossal fleet, and take them out the old fashioned way. Why start a fight with Russia if Britain is your real enemy?

I'm sure there are answers to these questions, but I'm unclear on them. Does anyone have good books on the subject?
>>
>>3285579
>Was Russian-British trade really that big of a deal?

No, but Russia being an annoying little shit was
To understand, you have to look at what happened between 1795 and 1807
Three times, the Russians started war of agressions against France (the first one right at France's border), three times they were defeated and three times Napoleon gave them generous condition
Yet, far from repaying that kindness, they always started shit again
Them pulling out of the System was the straw that broke the Camel's back, Napoleon just couldnt take their shit anymore
>>
>>3285635
>trusting the Rusiians to be sensible human beings
>ever
I thought Napoleon was supposed to be smart
-_-
>>
>>3285579
Napoleon was Hitler of 19th century.
Their reasons are the same.
>>
>>3286627
t. Lindybeige
>>
>>3285635
I wonder why Napoleon kept going after his attempt to bring the Russians to battle close to the border had failed. He could have just called it a victory, looted a few border towns, and cancelled the invasion. Maybe he was worried what that would look like to the Prussians and Austrians?
>>
>>3286752
The problem was that he had gathered the largest army in history and had to use it or disband it.
It spent a lot of resources and its morale would degrade without action.
But he couldn't disband the army without peace treaty with Russia.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.