[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is modern philosophy so terrible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 11329157.jpg (89KB, 623x469px) Image search: [Google]
11329157.jpg
89KB, 623x469px
I feel like politics has totally ruined philosophy. If I have to read another philosophy article that has stuff like this I am going to scream

>"This [entry-level philosophy] is extremely vital in these times..."
>"In this post-truth era..."
>"In a time when we are meant to believe "alternative facts"...."
>"This movie/book/etc about totalitarianism/censorship is sadly relevant today..."

I am tired of reading this bullshit. Always there are these hack, trash references to how we live in a "post truth" era and they can't stop bringing up that dumb, meaningless "alternative facts" episode as if they are making some grand statement of our time.
>>
>>3283557
>"This [entry-level philosophy] is extremely vital in these times..."
>"In this post-truth era..."
>"In a time when we are meant to believe "alternative facts"...."
>"This movie/book/etc about totalitarianism/censorship is sadly relevant today..."
I've never came across academic philosophical articles starting like this, want to post any examples from a journal or something?
>>
Do we drink water because we need it in order to survive, or is water a social construct?
>>
>>3283562

https://iainews.iai.tv/articles/why-we-must-reclaim-truth-to-resist-fascism-and-evil-auid-871?access=ALL?utmsource=reddit
>>
File: 1455071243546.jpg (40KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
1455071243546.jpg
40KB, 500x294px
>>3283569
Fuck off with this low-effort bait. This is from a retirement address by a no-name professor from a no-name university.

Further, if you think that the political zeitgeist of the modern day has any bearing on the merits of philosophy, congrats on missing the point. Good philosophy should be universal, regardless if it was written today or if it was written 2000 years ago. It should be based on logic that is independent of opinion or political leaning.

Do yourself a favor and read the Greeks, because it's clear you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
File: 0819171103.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0819171103.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>3283595
Best response I've read on this board in a long time. Thanks anon.
>>
>>3283641
star wars is so disgusting
>>
File: HOTHEAD!.gif (2MB, 470x360px) Image search: [Google]
HOTHEAD!.gif
2MB, 470x360px
>The Philosophy of (insert flavor-of-the-month NERD POWER show/movie)
>Basic philosophy that a third-grader could point out combined with kewl pop-culture references XD
>>
>>3283595
/thread
>>
>>3283562
Prepare to rage at this psued nonsense.
It's such fucking pop sci circle jerking I can even understand it. Fucking philososhit amirite?
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=27324998B4007A796185C639FBD1BF68?doi=10.1.1.136.674&rep=rep1&type=pdf
>>
>misunderstanding Plato based upon introductory classes that only read two books of the Republic while the Professor tells people what to believe about them
>the "nerd" pop-culture concept of Nietzsche
>the misuse of "Epicurean" and misunderstanding Epicureanism and the concepts of Hedonism at large
>>
>>3283876
Academia is just overstuffed at this moment because universities can bloat their departments up with useless normies because other useless normies take out massive personal loans to give the schools unlimited amounts of money without questioning it

Academia has just become a refuge for useless people that are too scared to leave the school environments they've been encompassed in since their childhood
>>
>>3283954
The funny thing is I linked good philosophy
>>
>>3283959
this is technically philology though
>>
>>3283971
How so?
It seems like run of the mill analytical philosophy to me.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.