[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hip Hop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 29

File: SPLGHod.jpg (137KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
SPLGHod.jpg
137KB, 1024x768px
A little bit of history and a little bit of & Humanities out of this one.

History of Hip Hop.

>where did it start
>where did it go
>where is it today as a culture
>what's your favorite form?

Personally I like the hip hop subculture of graffiti art. There is something truly magnificent about the equal parts of destruction and creation involved with it.
>>
>>3280021
>>where did it start
South Bronx, 1970s
>>where did it go
commercial
>>where is it today as a culture
Wherever money is
>>what's your favorite form?
Early East Coast and Underground
>>
Why have Black people claimed hip hop?

>History repeats itself and thats just how it goes
>Same thing that my nigga Elvis did with Rock n Roll
>Justin Timberlake, Eminem, and then Macklemore
>Look around my nigga white people have snatched the sound

>The South Bronx Hip-Hop scene emerged in the 1960s and 1970s from neighborhood block parties thrown by the Ghetto Brothers, a Puerto Rican group

Is it We Wuzing in it's simplest form?
>>
>>3280021
I like the fashion part.
does it has a name?
>>
Anyone else think there's going to be a Dada-esque change in hip hop. groups like Death Grips, and artists like Xxxtentacion seem to be pushing the genre in a new direction. Focused on being abrasive, harsh, and intentionally "bad"/fucked up/ not pleasing.
Anyone here a fan of suck groups/have any to recommend
>>
>>3280076
You completely left out DJ Kool Herc, and even so that statement means that those were just the settings now the complete origin.

>>3280561

>>3280278
Street fashion or just hip hop fashion

>>3280561
Check out Danny Brown Atrocity Exhibition
>>
>>3280597
Danny Brown is the worst shit I've ever heard. Below mumble shit and even grime.
>>
I like murderpus gangster rap like big l and wu tang but am concerned with the psychological effects it may have had on me.
>>
>>3280615

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger
And you will become this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTR-_Klcq8

t. Went to American public school system from the late 90's to the mid 2000's, literally the worst time in history to have attended American public schools if you're a dorky skinny white kid who doesn't like black people music.
>>
>>3280632
Never became a wigger in fashion sense, but listen to ghetto tales of drug deals and murders to relax because it's my favorite sort of music. Sometimes I have violent fantasies.
>>
>>3280670

I think a psychiatrist might be right up your ally.
>>
>>3280675
Already on it.
>>
>hip hop
Fuck off, you passive pseud. There is literally nothing more pretentious that this absolute joke.
>>
>>3280021
Can I talk about genres that were influenced by hip hop as well? Because I would love to talk about new jack swing and hip house music from the 80's and 90's.
>>
>>3280675
Violent fantasies are normal. It's the inability to successfully process fantasies that's the problem.
>>
>>3281025
Name a better act.
>>
>>3280076
Good song. You left out the 'im just playin' part.
>>
>>3280823
You placing undue importance on your personal subjective opinion is pretty pretentious desu
>>
>>3280924
It is /his/. please do
>>
>>3280561
This sort of style mostly resembles to me the change over in Rock n roll to metal, starting with metalica, to death metal and such like white chapel, nonpoint, hurt, Saliva, rage against the machine.

Same way how hip hop is changing from rap to this angry rap with yelling and harshness. I think we could actually look at Eminem for the origin of that angry style of rap.
>>
>>3281079
>Kendrick "Hebrew Israelite" Lamar

I wish his stupid cousin didn't brainwash him
>>
>>3281197
this.

I'm still on the fence if he actually believes this nonsense or he's just trying to portay his cousin's beliefs
>>
>>3280924
This, I'd actually love to hear about New Jack Swing.
>>
>>3280945
>ITS LE GAME XDDDD
Fuck off
>>3281080
No, I'm actually just much more important and intelligent than all of you /mu/tard pseuds. Go back you actual brainlet.
>>
>>3282208
>No, I'm actually just much more important and intelligent
>le ironic shitpost greentext
Doubt.jpg
>>
>>3280632
were the offspring the ultimate cuckcore band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHfY6VTRUFk
>>
>>3282249
So this is the power of wiggerdom...
>>
File: autistic_child_in_area.jpg (46KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
autistic_child_in_area.jpg
46KB, 250x250px
>>3282269
>like something that doesn't pertain to your race
>you're a full blown wigger
>>
>>3282292
Yes, you autistic child.
>>
File: FUCK WHITE PEOPLE.png (467KB, 622x619px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK WHITE PEOPLE.png
467KB, 622x619px
>>3282292
except hiphop does pertain to your race because it holds it in contempt but checking your privilege probably gives you a rush or something
>>
>>3282313
You argue like a 4 year old autistic child
>>
>>3280021
>>where did it start
Started from the bottom now we here
Debatable where it "started" as we can see the early roots of hip hop in jazz and blues but it gained prominence in the south bronx in the early '70s
>>where did it go
Mainstream, then commercial, then south korea, then Mr. Worldwide
Where is rock today as a culture? Hip hop has diversified into many sub-genres
Early east coast
>>
>>3282322
I see you haven't really bothered to listen to the album.
>>
>>3282323
Better than actually being one
>>
>>3280561
$uicideboys are good if you don't mind really edgy lyrics
>>
>>3282322
So why did I weep when Trayvon Martin was in the street when gang banging make me kill a nigga blacker than me?Hypocrite!
That's the last line from one of the songs, have you actually listened to the album?
>>
>>3282334
>than actually being one
I have bad news anon.
>>
>>3282365
>>3282334
>>3282323
>>3282313
Girls please you're both pretty
>>
>>3282208
>I'm actually just much more important and intelligent than all of you
I'm assuming you're underage. No one over the age of 18 is this self-important about not liking a thing.
>>
I find the Dirty South subculture to be very interesting even if their music isn't as groundbreaking as other subgenres, the early 2000s was a very interesting time for them to go mainstream
>>
>>3282332
>>3282357
im talking about the general aesthetic of the genre. hiphop is such a huge thing that you can find pretty much any political view expressed if you look hard enough but i dont think it is controversial to say that hiphop /in general/ views whites as #corny
>>
>>3282407
Fair enough
>>
>>3280021
There are references to the tall israeli who controls rap in the unreleased Mos Def song called The Rape Over where he names the you know who. His name is Lyor Cohen, they took rap from the blacks and made it into what it is now.
>>
>>3282394
I'm 29, stop projecting your pacification.
>>
File: 1442294785092.jpg (7KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
1442294785092.jpg
7KB, 300x57px
>>3282472
>29
That makes it worse.
>>
>>3282254
Unironically like this song
>>
>>3282427
Neat.
>>
File: five_percent_nation.jpg (23KB, 440x461px) Image search: [Google]
five_percent_nation.jpg
23KB, 440x461px
>>3280021
We need the Five Percenters back in hip hop. They provided cool gangster rap but provided a good message of overcoming the ghetto to the youth. Likewise, the lyrics of their songs were intelligently written, with multiple syllable rhymes and allusions to important historical characters and events. In their wake, fucking southern crunk shit dominated the genre and now we have fags in skinny jeans mumbling on autotune about worthless shit.
>>
>>3282723
>fucking southern crunk shit
What's it like in 2004?
>>
>>3282730
>reading comprehension
>>
>>3282937
>Pac
Tupac affiliate and member of Outlawz Yaki Kadafi was in a car behind Tupac's car on the night of his death. Kadafi noted that he could plainly see the face of the shooter and could identify him. Yaki Kadafi was shot outside of his apartment building in NJ 2 months later...
>>
>>3282508
>wiggers telling people to die
Typical violent thug.
>>3282723
None of that is 'intelligent writing'. It's undergrad pseud writing.
>>
>>3280044
>>where did it start
1973 the bronx, dj kool herc
>>where did it go
nearly all of modern music
very accepting
whatever mobb deep was doing in the mid to late 90's
>>
>>3283263
>whatever mobb deep was doing in the mid to late 90's
ha
hahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA
Fuck that's funny
>>
>>3282962
Its messed up right, he knew who shot tupac...
>>
>>3283263
>whatever mobb deep was doing in the mid to late 90's
not picking gfunk
>>
>>3280021
Hip-hop sucked until Grandmaster Flash came along, was alright in the middle of the '80s and didn't become truly great until Eric B. & Rakim raised production and lyricism to art forms.
>>
>>3282407
Listening to Backspin, I'm honestly surprised they still play the original version of Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down with the really out there homophobia and not just calling someone a fag but straight up "I don't like faggots" shit.
>>
>>3282937
There's a conspiracy theory actually that goes that gangster rap was pushed by (((them))) in partnership with the private prison industry in order to turn blacks into thugs and funnel them into the prisons so the record labels and prisons make shitloads of money.
>>
>>3283091
>None of that is 'intelligent writing'
Write something more intelligent given the same syllable constraints.
>>
>>3283891
Both can be true; an octopus has more than one tentacle.
>>
File: dream-team.jpg (104KB, 498x443px) Image search: [Google]
dream-team.jpg
104KB, 498x443px
>>3280021
Did Illmatic really historically change hip hop?
>>
>>3283891

>So fuck (((Jerry Heller))) and them (((white))) superpowers.

NWA were always at the cusp of realizing who was ripping them off but they were trapped by the blacks vs whites spook.
>>
>>3282937
>>3282962
>>3283292
Pls, cool it with the tin-foil, why is it strange that someone involved in gang violence gets killed? That Kadafi guy had two months to spread the word about who killed Tupac, not two minutes. Are that conditioned to look for conspiracies in everything?
>>
>>3283937
Its isnt me though mate, its the rappers themselves, go listen to The Rape Over by Mos Def, he spells out who controls the rap game, combine this with the demoraliztion of blacks and the golden handcuffs most black celebrities wear and you will understand this isnt tinfoil, it is legit reenslaving of blackies in america.

I guess history is meant to repeat itself, but with phatter beats that get worse overtime.
>>
>>3283946
No it's not re-enslaving blacks, it's about milking the cash cow. Of course the most lucrative music genre today would be run by someone who wants to make money out of it.
>>
>>3283953
Because you want them to be. You are blinded by hate for some reason and see a conspiracy at every corner. The only agenda people in music industry have is 'how to make more money'.
>>
File: BULLS.jpg (138KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BULLS.jpg
138KB, 1920x1080px
>>3283964
>The only agenda people in music industry have is 'how to make more money'.
Have you ever heard of MK-Ultra?
>>
>>3283987
No, I haven't. Why the question though, if it''s relevant, and contradicts what I said, why not just say it?
>>
File: Whore on beast.jpg (90KB, 960x643px) Image search: [Google]
Whore on beast.jpg
90KB, 960x643px
>>3284012
Mass media is used for social conditioning just as much as it is for profit.
>>
>>3284018
That's just like your opinion man.
>>
File: giphy.gif (953KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
953KB, 500x303px
>>3284021
Its a pretty well researched and backed opinion as opposed to your banal disregard to the statement based purely on personal vapidity.
>>
File: Propaganda.jpg (126KB, 530x446px) Image search: [Google]
Propaganda.jpg
126KB, 530x446px
>>3284021
It is also the opinion of Edward Bernays and E. Michael Jones both of whom express it far more articulately than I ever could. The audio in this video is from Jones' "Libido Dominandi" and is worth listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWM4bJNpch0
>>
File: lana8_h_GIFSoup.com_.gif (2MB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
lana8_h_GIFSoup.com_.gif
2MB, 640x359px
>>3284033
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQeRu7BUEr8
>>
>>3284038
What? That's your research?
>>
File: 1394573626917.jpg (122KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1394573626917.jpg
122KB, 500x700px
>>3284041
It is indisputable that mass media is controlled by a relatively few people and that those few exert a tremendous influence on popular culture.
>>
File: The_Firm_9626_Medium.jpg (45KB, 615x402px) Image search: [Google]
The_Firm_9626_Medium.jpg
45KB, 615x402px
>>3284070
I'm saying those people use their control over the media to promote a cultural narrative.
>>
>>3283263
>nearly all of modern music
Wrong, modern music long predates this noise.
>>3283864
It still does suck and always will. The production is fucking awful and the 'lyricism' is a joke.

Just listen to house you fucking pseud.
>>3283893
For what, dickwaving? Sorry, I'm not an overly-proud and 'hypermasculine' young black male.
>>
>>3284097
Oh look, a list of hack musicians!
>>
>>3284103
Good night
>>
>>3284104
Don't wake up, hacklord.
>>
File: Brill_windmill_April_2017.jpg (141KB, 1200x908px) Image search: [Google]
Brill_windmill_April_2017.jpg
141KB, 1200x908px
>>3284097
As pointed out in this post:

>>3284062
>>3284062

There has been significant media consolidation recently so previous generations are not analogous to what we are currently experiencing.
>>
>>3284097
>assumption based on your dislike of mainstream music genres
Are you fucking kidding me I LOVE early 90s rap, hate the shit it has become now.
>>
>>3284163
That's mainstream, idiot.
>>
>>3284163
>>3284266
If you don't believe me, Levis almost went bankrupt because they couldn't make jeans that appeal to 'HERRD THUGZ'.
>>
>>3281098
>>3281306
I'll try to sum it up as quickly as possible, as there are plenty of things people don't really mention when talking about new jack swing, it might take a while though.

With the exception of early acts like Teena Marie, New Edition, and Whodini, the act of combining R&B/Soul music with the newer sound of hip hop was deemed as absurd. It didn't help that many R&B fans deemed hip hop as ghetto trash early on, built on nothing but sampling R&B/disco/funk records or being produced electronically (hypocritical, as most popular music including funk and R&B in the 1980's was made either partially or completely electronically) and by most of America it was deemed a fad, while hip hop fans thought R&B was too soft and somewhat effeminate, and that it was mostly geared towards older people.

During the mid 1980's, hip hop producers started to change their production a little bit, and experimented with a concept from the swing jazz era by using swingbeats in their music, like Mantronix's Bassline and Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick's The Show (which was produced by Teddy Riley when he was 17, we'll get back to him later). Around this time, former members of Prince's backup band named Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis started to use swingbeat hip hop influenced production along with hints of industrial music to help create Janet Jackson's Control, an album that effectively restarted her career as a singer, particularly the song "Nasty". This, along with The Show, were some of the earliest examples of what eventually became a new fusion genre of music: New Jack Swing.

1/3
>>
>>3282723
No the fuck we don't, their belief system is retarded. This is coming from someone who LOVES Rakim and Big Daddy Kane, two of the most mainstream Diver Percenters. If anything, we need a more atheistic wave in hip hop, which I can honestly see coming around the corner, or at least something that doesn't have extremely out there beliefs like "Yakub created white people from grafting them and mixing their DNA with gorillas".

I will say this: their bean pies are delicious and I do appreciate them trying to fix up the community, even though I disagree with their ideology.
>>
>>3280561
>What is cLOUDDEAD
>>
File: undefined.jpg (59KB, 816x544px) Image search: [Google]
undefined.jpg
59KB, 816x544px
>>3284828
In 1987, two albums became the blueprint of this new genre: Heavy D's Living Large, a rap album with heavy swingbeat production with Heavy D's rap style ranging from street style, bragging rap, to R&B like, romantic "lady killer" style rap effortlessly, and Keith Sweat's Make It Last Forever, which was an R&B themed record from the "pleading" singer, who finally made it big after years of singing. Both albums were sort of the starting point for NJS's major influences, rap with a more R&B themed production style, and R&B with a more hip hop themed production style, along with elements of dance-pop and funk. Now, even though they're both recognized as NJS today, and there were a few NJS/proto-NJS records before they released it didn't have an official name until Barry Michael Cooper, famous writer and director (my favorite film of his was New Jack City, it's great) invented the name in October of 1987, crediting Teddy Riley as one of the leaders of this new sound (I might as well give Teddy his own post, as he's going to pop up a lot). Though it wasn't just Teddy by himself, other contemporary producers like Babyface, L.A. Reid, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Bernard Belle, Eddie F, and Pete Rock all contributed heavily to this new sound, which after Keith Sweat's hit single "I Want Her", soon dominated the R&B charts.

Thanks to singles like the self-titled song Don't Be Cruel, Every Little Step, and especially My Prerogative, former New Edition member Bobby Brown became the highest selling NJS act on the planet, combining his edgy singing and rapping (something that was barely done at the time, a rapping singer), along with fantastic production ahead of its time, dominating the charts in 1988 and 1989, both were successful years for NJS music. Artists like Guy, Janet Jackson, Wreckx-N-Effect, Paula Abdul, and dozens more all achieved great success during this early period, and it only got better from then on.
>>
>>3284850
Yoni Wolf is the man, man.
>>
>>3284910
Even rappers like Big Daddy Kane and LL Cool J started to take notice of this new genre's success, and used the genre's themes with their own, which (at first, at least for BDK) were praised by both hip hop fans and R&B fans. By 1990, rap finally once and for all went pop, and the most popular rappers of that year were MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice, who's music combined pop friendly raps with high energy dancing, and were the first rappers to reach well over diamond selling status, with 22 million and 15 million records respectively according to the RIAA. This presented a serious problem to many of their contemporaries both alternative and hardcore, who viewed them as pop trash and often made fun of them in their songs (3rd Bass had a hit single Pop Goes the Weasel which was a diss on Vanilla Ice and A Tribe Called Quest's Q-Tip stated "rap is not pop, if you call it that then stop" on Check the Rhime). They also didn't like R&B singers attempting to rap, as to them it was watering it down, and it didn't help that only a few of them could really rap anyway without a ghostwriter.

Meanwhile, NJS was still enjoying huge commercial success, with album after album and hit after hit, with everyone else from New Edition (but especially Bell Biv Devoe), Al B. Sure, British band Soul II Soul, Australian pop singer Kylie Minouge, Tony! Toni! Toné!, Redhead Kingpin and the FBI Crew, Salt n Pepa, and Color Me Badd all had their first few hits between the late 80's and early 90's. Even Pop giant Michael Jackson, who before listening to Heavy D stated he didn't like hip hop when Quincy Jones tried producing a rap-influenced album with him during the "Bad" era, even worked with Teddy Riley to produce his first album from the 90's called "Dangerous", which thanks to bring from Michael Jackson quickly became the best selling NJS album of all time, selling over 30 million records. Other popular artists like Jodeci, Usher, TLC, Xscape, and H-Town, started out with NJS music.
>>
File: What'sThe411-.jpg (44KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
What'sThe411-.jpg
44KB, 300x300px
>>3284968
During its height in popularity, NJS not only used influence from hip hop and R&B, but also house music (Tony Scott and Heavy D's remake of Now That We Found Love), freestyle (K7), jazz (Portrait), and even rock at one point (En Vogue's Free Your Mind, forgot to mention them earlier). It was everywhere from films (House Party, from the NJS pop rap group Kid n Play, New Jack City, Above the Rim, Blankman, Do the Right Thing, Ghostbusters 2), television (Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, In Living Color, Soul Train, A Different World, Sister Sister, The Arsenio Hall Show) and even in video games (most Sonic games in the Classic Era, really SEGA as a whole, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Star Fox, NBA Jam, various SNK and Capcom games). But in 1992, a NJS album produced by Sean "Puff Daddy/Diddy/who gives a shot" Combs started to use mostly sampled breakbeats, was slower, and was more in tune with modern hip hop at the time: Mary J. Blige's "What's the 411?". He even dubbed this "hip hop soul", which quickly became copied in the music industry. Combined with oversaturation, the popularity of gangsta rap/g-funk and grunge music, both were deemed "more real" than other popular genres at the time, by the mid 90's NJS was considered out of date, and quickly declined. Artists who used NJS from before 1993 like R. Kelly and TLC stopped it with their newest albums, and until the genre's technical death in 1997 either had a more hip hop soul influence, switched to hip hop soul for their second album, or outright flopped during this time period. The only major hits at the time were from more "street" acts like Montell, Aaliyah, Mark Morrison, and Queen Pen who already used hip hop/hip hop soul music in their albums, Michael and Janet Jackson, a few European and Asian acts who didn't quite get the memo, and surprisingly enough, teen pop groups like the Backstreet Boys, who stealthily got away with NJS influenced songs until the year 2000!
>>
File: Shinee1of1.jpg (51KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Shinee1of1.jpg
51KB, 300x300px
>>3285039
Fuck, I forgot to separate that big ass block into a few more paragraphs. Lesson learned.

Anyways, even though new jack swing was technically dead as a genre, the influence it had on popular music was immense. Hip hop started to have more and more singers in their songs, pop music often had the "A Wild Rapper appears" cliche after Janet Jackson and Heavy D started it with their remix song "Alright", and overseas, Japanese and Korean pop music (or J-pop and K-pop) were influenced so strongly that they kept it up in a sense well into the 2000s, especially K-pop. Groups like Shinee and Girls Generation actually started to use NJS in their music, which is especially interesting as in the 2000s after the former NJS turned hip hop soul turned (R&B) group Blackstreet broke up, Teddy Riley started producing music for Korean groups, who wanted a more retro influenced sound. In South Korea at least, it could be argued that NJS never really died.

In the 2010's, America started to feel more nostalgic towards the 1980's and 1990's, and slowly but surely, NJS started to make a very small comeback, but not in ways you might expect. One of the first heavily popular modern NJS songs came from the pop punk/pop rock group Paramore, with their song "Ain't It Fun". Along with new wave influenced music, this song also had a new jack swingbeat. Starting from around 2015, artists like Big Sean and Tory Lanez started sampling songs like Piece of My Love (a new jack swing song from Guy) and Brownstone's song If You Love Me for their recent successful songs on the charts. Bruno Mars however, is probably the most popular example right now, with his album 24K Magic being a throwback from the late 1980's into the 1990's, with the songs "Finesse" and "Straight Up and Down" being pure NJS, with his song "That's What I Like" mixing NJS, hip hop soul, and modern trap music together.
>>
File: tumblr_neulzuXEJu1qgspsyo1_1280.png (216KB, 700x476px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_neulzuXEJu1qgspsyo1_1280.png
216KB, 700x476px
>>3285083
Overall, new jack swing had shown to have had an immense impact not only on its parent genres hip hop and R&B, but pop music and popular culture as a whole. It is one of the shortest lived yet also one of the most influential genres of music, especially in the 90's, sitting right next to grunge and gangsta rap.

I'm going to take a small break, all of this (unfortunate) phoneposting sucks. Next up I'll talk about the most influential person in the genre who really should be praised more, Teddy Riley. He's the manlet in the middle of this picture, who founded the groups Guy (pic related) and Blackstreet.
>>
>>3285107
Shit, I meant the manlet on the right.
>>
>>3285107
Good read so far senpai
>>
>>3284266
>Jeru the Damaja and Sinister is mainstream
>fucking whiteboys
I know being a cumskin white cuck must be heard but dont presume to know my musical tastes cunt.
>>
>>3280561
I think Hip Hop is entering it's Punk phase
>>
>>3286543
But fuck the police is a pretty punk song.
>>
>>3286579
I mean in the throwaway of what is considered fundamental rapping conventions, not just in lyrics but in everything.
>>
>>3286543
Anthony Fantano is that you?
>>
>>3285154
Thank you. Could you tell it's one of my favorite music genres? I had to rewrite half of the posts so it could fit.

>>3285107
Now we get to the big one, the most famous producer of new jack swing music and one of the most famous producers in hip hop and R&B period, the man, the myth, the legend: Edward Theodore Riley, or Teddy Riley. Born on October 8th, 1967, Teddy Riley was a child prodigy who played several instruments when he was 5 thanks to his uncle who owned a studio in his club called The Rooftop, formerly located in Harlem, and by the age of 14 local rappers were already spitting over his beats. Thanks to record producer and eventual boss Gene Griffin (who also produced new jack swing music along with Teddy during the late 80's), he formed a boy band called Kids at Work. Needless to say, it was a flop, and Teddy didn't want to work on R&B anymore. From then on, he would produce tracks to whoever wanted them, like new jack swing rapper Kool Moe Dee (an old school rapper famous for having the first true rap battle where he bodied the fuck out of Busy Bee and for getting into one of the oldest rap beefs with LL Cool J), who created Go See the Doctor with him, or Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh's The Show, both of which had an early swingbeat rhythm influenced by swing and go-go music.

It wasn't until 1987 that Keith Sweat, a former rival of his when he was in a band, asked him to produce an R&B record for his newest album. Teddy didn't want to do it after his failure with R&B, but Keith said just to make a standard track and that it wouldn't matter. That track was I Want Her, which became a hit on the R&B charts. After producing his song (where he added a few ad-libs as a mark of his production), Teddy then started to work on a new band, a band called Guy, with his old friends Aaron Hall and Timothy Gatling.
>>
>>3286527
That's not genre, wigger.
>>
File: haircut.jpg (46KB, 474x496px) Image search: [Google]
haircut.jpg
46KB, 474x496px
>>3286767
I am not white presumptuous cunt.
>>
>>3286889
>le dishonest wigger faec
>>
>>3286935
Oh look it is a redditor, no surprises that a white cumskin from reddit tries to push his shitty memes on here.

Fuck outta here with your commie nonsense you fucking whitebread chicken shit motherfucker.
>>
>>3280021
>>where did it start
Bronx mid 70s
>>where did it go
Memestream
Still memestream
Narrative/Experimental
>>
File: 2011-topic-pages-music-guy.jpg (133KB, 1309x737px) Image search: [Google]
2011-topic-pages-music-guy.jpg
133KB, 1309x737px
>>3286702
>>3286702
>>3286702
Timothy Gatling was a former band member from Kids at Work, and Aaron Hall was an up and coming former church singer with a voice similar to Charlie Wilson but younger. With the help of Gene Griffin, he produced and wrote their self-titled album, "Guy". Before the album was released however, Timothy Gatling expressed that he wanted to go solo after he sung his parts, so he left the group. Aaron then invited his younger brother Damien into the group, only to have to wait until the second album to actually do anything besides appear in music videos, live performances, and promos. The album was a success, selling double platinum, which led to Teddy producing even more music for more artists, both in the rap and R&B sides of new jack swing music, including his younger brother Markell Riley's group Wreckx-N-Effect.

Unfortunately, like many new artists, he found out that Gene Griffin was ripping him off, and Teddy quickly became broke again. He had lost the will to produce music, and it wasn't until a good friend of his from the NJS group Abstrac gave him a credit card with a large spending limit to help him out. From then on, he built his career again by not only producing the second album for Guy "The Future" (despite Aaron Hall not wanting to sing that much on it because he was upset that he got screwed), he also produced a remix of Jane Child's song Don't Wanna Fall in Love, which was already sort of an NJS song. That remix instantly became famous in clubs all around, and with that, his career was saved. To top it all off, a certain King of Pop was looking at his career, and wanted him to work on his next album. Michael Jackson actually flew him out and told him to bring his family and friends with him in case he got lonely. The only catch was that he couldn't work on his other music, he had to only work with Michael. Oh, and he had to stay with him. After a year, the Dangerous album was completed, to critical success.
>>
>>3286960
You're the redditor here, wigger.
>>>/r/hiphopheads
>>
>>3282322
>except hiphop does pertain to your race because it holds it in contempt

You know if you were referring to niggers, I'd still agree with you, niggers really like to rap about killing niggers
>>
File: Blackstreet_-_1994_album.jpg (36KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Blackstreet_-_1994_album.jpg
36KB, 400x400px
>>3287335
>>3287335
After Guy broke up in 1991 after personal disinterest and Aaron wanting to back out after they got screwed by Gene Griffin and go solo, Teddy Riley immediately made a third group called Blackstreet, named after Chauncey "Black" Hannibal and Joseph Stonestreet, members of the group. Despite their early success with songs like Before I Let You Go, Stay, Baby Be Mine, and their most famous song No Diggity (featuring Dr. Dre and little known rapper Queen Pen), their third album was a failure, and yet again they broke up, this time in a very public appearance. They eventually came back for one more album in 2003, but it was basically over. Teddy tried releasing a solo album that got shelved, he did a few songs with Michael Jackson again, but besides that, he really didn't do much in America besides raising his kids and collecting royalties.

During the late 2000's and early 2010's, he started to release music again (he's always making music even when he's bored), but this time for South Korea. K-pop groups were heavily influenced by new jack swing, to the point that the first modern K-pop act was a new jack swing/hip hop group called Seo Tajii and Boys back in the early 90's. So when they brought him to work on their songs, he left his mark on their music, bringing in a new jack swing sound mixed with K-pop. He collaborated with $hinee, Girls Generation, rapper Jay Park, and EXO, during this time, and introduced a new generation of not only Koreans, but Americans who listened to this music but don't really listen to R&B or hip hop. Now, he's regularly active as a producer for bands overseas, and he works with American artists like Bad Rabbits every now and then.

Teddy Riley could be considered one of the greatest and most influential producers on the planet, who's influence has greatly altered hip hop and R&B, along with pop music from all over. I hope that when he turns 50, he can even more recognition besides from older R&B fans.
>>
>>3287413
hahaha he actually has reddit links

How cucked can one whitey be?
>>
File: P14.jpg (86KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
P14.jpg
86KB, 1920x1080px
>>3287448
Do you know why it is acceptable to rap about killing niggers but basically a hatecrime to sing about the exact same thing?
>>
>>3280021
>where did it start

August 11, 1973 in the South Bronx

>where did it go

It's the most popular genre in America right now.

>where is it today

It's possibly about to become "punk" and split off once again.

>What's your favorite form

Jazz rap, new jack swing, hip house, electro rap from the 1980's, alternative hip hop, hardcore hip hop, and instrumental hip hop.
>>
>>3284834
>"Yakub created white people from grafting them and mixing their DNA with gorillas".
That's literally the opposite of their beliefs.

White people can be accepted into 5%ers. The 'black' thing is just an honorable thing for black people. In fact, they split from NOI for this exact reason.
>>
>>3286543
Gangster rap was the punk phase. Today it's akin to disco after being popularized.
>>
>>3288077
>rap records and CDs getting destroyed, only to find out half of it was just other types of black music

Not again. If anything, "EDM" (which is really just pop mixed with big room house, trap, dancehall, and the flavor of the month) is more in danger of that.
>>
>>3288072
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-Percent_Nation
>check Wikipedia to refresh on their beliefs again
>the page was changed, with new annotations and even references to "Allah the Father" like he's a real person, despite them believing that black men are "Allah"

What the hell? I distinctly remember seeing that just like their "cousins the NOI, they believed that all people who aren't black are literal non-god mutants, and that they believe Yakub was a real person who created whites. You are right about there being white ones, but then again, there are also Black Mormons. It wasn't too long ago that Black people were considered to be fence sitting faggots who didn't fight for God or Satan, and are deemed unfit for their church

Hell, I used to have family who were Five Percenters in college. My uncle grew out of it though. Are you a Five Percenter anon?
>>
>>3284108
i woke up
>>
>>3288553
Rekt
>>
Nas and Wu-Tang were the best thing that came out of it
>>
File: 1503623412862.gif (732KB, 832x484px) Image search: [Google]
1503623412862.gif
732KB, 832x484px
>>3290275
>both Five Percenters

It's a conspiracy I tells ya. By the way, Nas is a good rapper but he's nowhere near the best. Step your game up.
>>
>>3290369
Illmatic is the most flawless hip-hop album ever produced, this isn't up for debate cunt. Everything after that was a bit eh though
>>
Someone explain some of the earlier stuff o me. I love Eric B. & Rakim and Slick Rick, I can enjoy Run DMC but I seriously don't get LL Cool J, what was so groundbreaking about him? His stuff just sounds very basic and boring and he was never a particularly good MC considering Kool Moe Dee spent half of the '80s clowning him for being too chicken to battle.
>>
>>3285039
>most Sonic games in the Classic Era, really SEGA as a whole, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Star Fox, NBA Jam, various SNK and Capcom games
I think you're overstating things a bit. Sega, Capcom and SNK were heavily influenced more by the Japanese jazz fusion of bands like T-Square and Casiopea and really those two bands and Yellow Magic Orchestra are probably the three biggest influences on the development of video game music. It says a lot that whenever arranged albums and whatnot were done, guys like Masato Honda, Akira Jimbo and Tetsuo Sakurai were the performers.

Same with a lot of JRPGs. The influence of those groups (and prog rock) on someone like Nobuo Uematsu is obvious and Shoji Meguro has directly cited them as his biggest influences.
>>
hardest rap song ever made

https://youtube.com/watch?v=n_AMPcFym0Q
>>
File: 13226802_3.jpg (33KB, 1091x465px) Image search: [Google]
13226802_3.jpg
33KB, 1091x465px
>>3290263
Lawyers.
>>
>>3285083

You forgot tomention the 1994 collab between Mariah Carey and ODB on 'Fantasy', a song which was R&B/dance pop almost jarringly juxtaposed with hardcore gangsta rap. Also co-produced by Mr. Combs.
>>
>>3291227

ME AN MARIUUHHHHHHHHH

GO BACK LIKE BABIES WIV PACIFIEEEERSSSS
>>
>>3290741
I'm not overstating it at all, though jazz fusion and acid jazz were involved in it as well. Here's a short list of various songs that were influenced by the NJS era just from the Sonic franchise.

Spring Yard Zone
Mystic Cave Zone
Casino Night Zone (2-Player)
Marble Garden Zone
Mini-boss and Knuckle's theme in Sonic 3
Carnival Night Zone
Launch Base Zone
Mushroom Valley Zone
Collision Chaos (JP present)
Sonic CD's boss music
Tidal Tempest (JP present)
Stardust Speedway (JP present, though it has house elements too)
Stardust Speedway (past)
Door Into Summer (Knuckles Chaotix)
Rusty Ruins (Sonic 3D Blast)

That's not all of it of course but those are pretty obvious. But yeah, obviously YMO is one of the biggest influences on video game music, or really synthpop and early modern J-pop in general. Sweet Dreams anyone?
>>
>>3291227
Yeah, the mid 1990's had a lot of that weird mix between romantic singing and hardcore rapping. My favorite example is Blackstreet's U Blow My Mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVAr4hEF5A
>>
>>3280612
Danny Brown makes some of the best music i have ever heard and raps over it with the most annoying voice
>>
File: tfw.jpg (114KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
114KB, 750x1000px
>>3292945
plus he throat fucked becky onstage
>>
File: 1500507195341.jpg (96KB, 750x726px) Image search: [Google]
1500507195341.jpg
96KB, 750x726px
I love this: https://genius.com/discussions/282069-Twitter-user-talks-about-90s-ny-goons-in-hip-hop-involves-tupac-biggie-jay-z-50-cent-and-more
>>
>>3295451
>Fuck the Palestines coming straight from the underground
>I really hate them all cuz they're brown
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.