[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books or resources for the early Republic, like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3912.jpg (59KB, 325x364px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3912.jpg
59KB, 325x364px
What are some books or resources for the early Republic, like from its establishment to the samnite wars
>>
>>3279076
>>3279076
>>3279076

The truth is that there is no really "good" source about the early years of Roman history. It was a mystery even to Roman historians themselves, who often struggled to piece together the various founding myths into a semi-plausible narrative. Many Romans came to believe that they were descendants of Trojans, you know, like from the Illiad. According to their legends, after the city of Troy was destroyed, a Trojan soldier migrated to Italy, and then eventually his descendent Romulus founded the city of Rome.

As for how Rome became a Republic, the Romans seemed to believe that they first had a series of 7 kings, starting with Romulus, each of which made an important contribution to the city's evolution. However, the 7th king was a cruel and vile man, who drove the Romans to revolt. After deposing this seventh king, the Romans swore that they would never again allow 1 man to have absolute power. From this point on, power would be shared, and there would a constitution with enough checks and balances to prevent a new monarch from ever forming. At least, that's the story.

SPQR by Mary Beard spends a LONG time talking about it if you're still interested after reading that blurb I just gave you.
>>
>>3279470
I know the basic narrative, but I want a fuller picture outside of just basic political details. Does SPQR use a lot of archeological evidence to try to piece together the daily lives of a Roman in this period?
>>
>>3279513

>Does SPQR use a lot of archeological evidence to try to piece together the daily lives of a Roman in this period?

Yes and no. Whenever archeological evidence actually exists, SPQR uses that. However, given that there is very little remaining from Rome's early years, there just isn't much to go on, and so the founding myths are made the center of the discussion for those chapters.

The book spends a long time discussing the legends and trying to extract kernels of truth from them. Things like the seven original kings are impossible to verify or disprove, but since many of them have blatantly supernatural elements included in their stories, historians tend to discount them. Even Roman historians, while being able to eventually construct a semi-coherent narrative from the mess of contradictory stories, often disagreed on the details, and even they sometimes expressed skepticism about the supernatural elements in the stories.
>>
>>3279540
Ok, I'll pick up a copy of it sometime
>>
>>3279076
see this pic OP
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.