[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who Was the Last Man to Wear a Powdered Queue/Wig Hairstyle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1493065163778.jpg (143KB, 1000x1216px) Image search: [Google]
1493065163778.jpg
143KB, 1000x1216px
When was the last point we could expect a few wearers of the powdered queue/wig hairstyle to have persisted in using the style? Was anybody still doing it in the 1820s, 1830s, 1840s, or even later? It was dead as a fashion item in the late 1790s for most of Europe and overseas Westernized lands, and I'm not including barristers/judges that wore them as a matter of their professional duties, but I'm asking about people who actually wore these hairstyles on a regular or daily basis.
>>
>>3274162
Chilean conservatives wore them until like the mid 1800s
>>
britbong judges still wear them
>>
>>3274277
Interesting. Who were these Chileans conservatives, exactly? Is one of them known, and to even have had a portrait of himself done while wearing the style? Are you talking circa 1850? That's very far into the 19th century for the style to have persisted; the aged wearers would probably have been into their 80s and 90s. I could imagine a few stubborn fellows sticking with the ways which they were accustomed to for so long, though.
>>
>>3274330
The Realists or Pelucones (Basically, wigged men) were the conservative aristocracy that rivaled the liberal party during the early republic period. They pretty much wore wigs because of what they simbolized, and not because it was in fashion during those times, they're pretty anachronistic imo. Here's a wikipedia article on them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelucones, it's pretty empty compared to the original one in spanish though
>>
>>3274383
Thank you! I love /his/ for learning things like this.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.