[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were some ancient civilizations far more advanced than we're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Antikythera Mechanism.jpg (162KB, 800x714px) Image search: [Google]
Antikythera Mechanism.jpg
162KB, 800x714px
Were some ancient civilizations far more advanced than we're being led to believe? I just don't believe the Egyptians built something as grand as the pyramids using bronze tools with such precision. How can they cut into diorite and granite using bronze chisels? There's just no way they built the statue of Ramses the Great with such rudimentary tools, especially considering his face is completely symmetrical. And what about the Incas (or pre-Incas)? I've heard the Incas just built on top of older structures, which is why later stone blocks aren't as perfect as the earlier ones. They were able to build such precise blocks using ancient technology that they didn't even need mortar to hold them in place. And what about Gobleki Tepe? You mean to tell me a bunch of hunter-gatherers with no metallurgy erected such a sophisticated temple complete with relief carvings? Stone tools just can't do that and we have no idea who really built the site. And let's not forget the Antikythera mechanism, a Greek computer that could predict lunar cycles, eclipses, and other celestial events using technology that was lost until the 14th century. How did this all happen, /his/? I get that there are theories, but I feel like that's just guesswork because we really have no clue.
>>
File: Gobekli Tepe.jpg (54KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
Gobekli Tepe.jpg
54KB, 500x355px
>>
>>3270056
Yeah The Egyptians used copper tools for the pyramids
>>
>>3270083
How?
>>
>>3270056

>don't believe the Egyptians built something as grand as the pyramids using bronze tools with such precision. How can they cut into diorite and granite using bronze chisels? There's just no way they built the statue of Ramses the Great with such rudimentary tools, especially considering his face is completely symmetrical.

To cut the blocks for the pyramid, they probably used sand as an abrasive. At least, thats the theory now. Its been demonstrated by experimental archaeologists that copper saws can cut through stone blocks if you continuously pour sand into the cut you are making. Sand is amazingly hard, and acts as the teeth of a saw. The egyptians and many other civilizations had hundreds, sometimes thousands of years to perfect their crafts as they are handed down from each generation, so some of the stonemasons and statuemakers of the era were masters of the craft, and they probably possessed skills that few to no people do today.

>They (incas) were able to build such precise blocks using ancient technology that they didn't even need mortar to hold them in place.

For the blocks that they made, they cut and pounded a rough shape, found a spot to put it, and then used precision hammering to make it fit almost perfectly into a wall or building. They did the fine hammering on site rather than in a quarry, so to get a perfect fit all they needed to do was be patient and careful with their masonry. Incan stonemasons were probably some of the best in the world, so it's no surprise the work was exquisite.
>>
>>3270056
>How can they cut into diorite and granite using bronze chisels?
abrasion
>>
>>3270103

>You mean to tell me a bunch of hunter-gatherers with no metallurgy erected such a sophisticated temple complete with relief carvings? Stone tools just can't do that and we have no idea who really built the site.

Dont know much about this site, but I can tell you that hunter gatherers can be capable of pretty amazing stuff. Although this is something of a new frontier in archaeology, some believe that many monuments, small settlements, and religious sites were created before the agricultural revolution. The transition between hunter-gathering and farming probably wasnt sudden, and it left a lot of room in between for people to experiment with constructing permanent areas for settlement, or occasional settlement. Sometimes, hunter gathering is efficient enough that people can become sedentary without agriculture.

Stone tools can accomplish quite a bit, they just aren't as durable or strong as metal tools. Building with stone tools takes a lot of time and effort, and the tools themselves need to be replaced more often, but the Mesoamerican cultures managed to do it and they created some of the greatest cities the world has ever seen.

>Greek computer that could predict lunar cycles, eclipses, and other celestial events using technology that was lost until the 14th century.

Dunno if it qualifies as a "computer", that might be lending it too much credit. The greeks did some amazing things, and many of their technological inventions and social innovations (philosophy, etc) have been lost to us, although most have probably been rediscovered. There were a lot of civilizations that existed before ours, and there are probably many more that we don't even know exist. Some were waayy ahead of their time in certain fields of study, and the greeks were definitely one of those cultures.
>>
>>3270103
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard the Incas told the conquistadors that their stone structures were already there and they didn't build them. I've also heard on /his/ that it was the pre-Incas that actually built the best ones. I'd like more knowledge on this if it's true. And what about Gobleki Tepe? How did stone age hunter-gatherers chisel relief carvings out of the stone? I know that a lot of the site is yet to be revealed until better archaeological methods come along, but my grandad believes the elite are keeping that from us because they don't want us to know for some reason. And what about Stonehenge and the Easter Island heads and relief carvings? How the fuck did ancient peoples transport huge stones like that? None of these can be dated completely accurately because all we have to go by for dating stone is organic matter around the site. Therefore these monoliths could be much older in theory. I've also heard they found tobacco in an Egyptian tomb but i don't know if that's true or not.
>>
>>3270144
jew spotted. You can't hide the truth forever, schlomo.
>>
>>3270144

>How did this all happen, /his/? I get that there are theories, but I feel like that's just guesswork because we really have no clue.

It's practically impossible to understand the full context of every culture in the world, or even just the ones that you mentioned. Its not just guesswork, theories generally aren't accepted unless they have some significant supporting evidence. But, as time goes on, our techniques will become more refined and effective, allowing us to uncover more about our past. More powerful, precise ground penetrating radar, laser imaging, precise chemical analysis, satellite imaging, LiDAR, as well as better field techniques to avoid contamination or interference.

In general, technology and human thought hasn't progressed linearly. It has ups and downs throughout history, which run parallel to global sociopolitical complexity. Western Rome commanded a complex empire with millions of citizens, and they were some of the most advanced ancient peoples in the world. Then the huns came, drove the goths and germans west, and the whole empire collapsed. It took hundreds, maybe a thousand years for europe to return to its former level of complexity, but it eventually did.
>>
>>3270154

To my knowledge, the Inca never said that all of their structures were built beforehand. If anything, I'm sure they were bragging about the stuff that they did build. There were a lot of pre inca ruins in the region, and when the conquistadors asked about them, the inca said they didn't build them.

>what about Gobleki Tepe? How did stone age hunter-gatherers chisel relief carvings out of the stone

Stone tools can carve stone. Those tools will dull and break more often than metal ones, but they still work. There are videos online where people demonstrate carving with stone, so we know that its physically possible. Stonehenge isn't exactly a masterpiece of stonework, what's impressive is the fact that they managed to lift the stones on top of each other. It probably required a lot of ropes, wood, and people, as well as some rudimentary construction and engineering knowledge, but it is entirely possible that ancient peoples built it.

The easter island heads could also be constructed with stone tools, it just took a long ass time to carve them out. They might have been transported on rollers, basically just logs laid parallel to one another. Then they would lay the statue down and pull it across the logs. This video shows another potential theory where they could "walk" the statues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHTkcbavhv0

Here are a few more videos showing how basic engineering can move large stones with relative ease:

A simple crane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as2mwx_Ngsg

Using logs as rails to move heavy stones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fFWjc04Q4

How to move and lift huge stones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs

As for the Tobacco, I dunno. It could be real which would be pretty amazing, but it could also be fake. I wouldn't be surprised if the tobacco was placed there on purpose, or maybe someone was smoking and ashed his cig in the site.
>>
>>3270386
Incas made those statues.
>>
>>3270100
By using sand as an abrasive
>>
>>3270056
It's pretty obvious that they had power tools but the cords and batteries and stuff were made out of biodegradeable materials because they were so in tune with nature, isn't modern civilization just so wasteful and evil guys?
>>
>>3271477
7s dont lie
>>
>>3270056
>Were some ancient civilizations far more advanced than we're being led to believe?

Ancient Greek science and technology had been nearly on Renaissance level. This is certainly more advanced then they tell you in school. But it's not magic.
>>
File: antigravitywg107.gif (8KB, 506x208px) Image search: [Google]
antigravitywg107.gif
8KB, 506x208px
>>3270056
rense.com/general42/soundlev.htm

>inb4 >rense
>>
its really cute when people watch "magical Egypt" for the first time.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.