[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

During the medieval ages, how did people distinguish between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Ringstrilogyposter.jpg (143KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ringstrilogyposter.jpg
143KB, 800x540px
During the medieval ages, how did people distinguish between each other with the same first name (I guess only name)? Like a city of any size is clearly going to have a bunch of Johns and Sarahs, right? And if you traveled, would you call yourself just Sarah or Sarah of London when outside of London?
>>
Nicknames, lineages and occupations.
>>
>>3261353
At least in certain places (esp. eastern Europe) patronymics and matronymics were popular. John son of Fred, or Sarah daughter of Rebeccah, to distinguish you from other Johns and Sarahs.
>>
>>3261353

During the Medieval Ages, the actual pool of names you'd need to know would actually be very small.
>>
>>3261353
Say your fathers name
>>
>>3261353
>Like a city of any size is clearly going to have a bunch of Johns and Sarahs, right?

Only a few percent lived in the cities, the vast majority lived in smaller rural societies
>>
>>3261353
Pete the mad
Greg one leg
Luke with the flute
Bill horsefucker
Sven the smith

I think you get the picture.
>>
>>3262397
Doublemint Dave
Sinbad the Comfy Lad
>>
>>3262455
Bigtits Widehips
>>
Dan "the man with a plan" Schneider
>>
Jaime "King and daughter slaughter"
>>
>Be assassin
>Told to kill some schmuck
>no photo

wat do
>>
>>3262467
>be me
>go to village market
>try to talk to Bigtits Widehips
>h-hey BigTits
>ugh what the fuck do you want Simon Smallharvest
>Chad Thundercrop walks up
>Hey Titties, this faggot bothering you?
>drop my scythe and run away home
I fucking hate Chad
>>
>>3262486
I assume they're basically given all possible information including a possible sketch/scars. I bet assassins killed a lot of innocents and then identified them after the fact, so it's possible a few extra people died every time assassins were dispatched
>>
>>3262514
I smirked.
>>
In medieval Ireland people would generally be distinguished by their hair colour or physical attributes. So if you've got three Nialls and one has black hair, one has red hair, and one is a big guy for you, you'd call them Niall Dubh, Niall Rua and Niall Mór.

This is how it worked in some areas and in other areas you'd just jumble a man's name with his father and grandfather's together to form an informal patronym. So Seán Ó Cathasaigh (Seán O'Casey), son of Pól, son of Séamus, would be known to his neighbours as Seán Phóil Shéamuis.
>>
File: knight approved.gif (4MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
knight approved.gif
4MB, 720x404px
>>3262514
>Thundercrop
pretty good
>>
>>3262514
>thundercrop

Keked in real life
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.