[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MODERN PSYCHOLOGY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: gfdfgdfg.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
gfdfgdfg.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
What does /his/ think of modern psychology? I'm currently in undergrad and can't believe how many of the studies we learn about have no vallidity and are constantly being disproven. The samples are all just white undergrad psyc students and the dodgiest statistical techniques are used to get published.

What do you think about psycotherapy? Would you see a psycotherapist? Or is it airy fairy pseudo-help.
>>
>>3259848
I had some basic contact with psychology through my classes in medical school and went to psychotherapy myself over the years. A lot of psychologist seem almost religious in their behaviour, in the sense that they have 2-3 favourite thinkers in psychology and blindy idolise them and everything they've ever said. A lot of it seems to be theories and theories built upon mere assumptions and loaded with vague statements.

Psychotherapy can be helpful, but some of the therapists I've seen didn't even bother much applying their skills. They just seem to give you CBT 101 and send you to a psychiatirst (read: drug dispenser) if it doesn't work. No one seems to be attempting an individual approach with each patient. Maybe I've run into all the shitty ones, don't know.
>>
>>3259886
That sucks, there's not much more damaging then a bad psychotherapist.
>>
>>3259848
>buddies gf goes crazy (daddy issues)
>he suggests she go to the shrink
>other buddy who had psychological issues in high school says "bad idea man"
>she suddenly hates him and they break up a month later
>one year later
>my gf goes crazy (daddy issues)
>tell her to go see a shrink
>both buddies "bad idea man"
>suddenly she hates me
>"you don't validate my opinions" (you don't tell me in right when I'm wrong)
>we break up a month later

I enjoy reading Jung but I'm never having anything to do with a shrink again
>>
>>3259959
Wait so in this story, did they go to shrinks or were just told not to and then they got mad?
>>
I saw a psychologist for my anxiety and it helped a lot. I did mindfulness based cognitive behavioral therapy for about a year and saw great results. So in my experience at least that aspect of modern psychology works.
>>
My psychologist recommended "the greatest story never told" to me, i brought up a few points against it and eventually said something about trusting academia, she said she had no trust in it because when she worked as an intern she tampered with results and was sought after for her ability to produce statistically significant results.
I don't know how to feel about it.
>>
>>3260048

Try and fuck her, she obviously has no ethics
>>
I went to a well known psychologist and he did absolutely NOTHING. I overcame my troubles by myself.

Working on yourself to solve your own problems will make you a stronger man.
>>
>>3260051
She's old and fat though.
>>
>>3259848
In my experience psychology has more empirical rigor in experiments than most other fields of science. The difficulty is that interpretation gives a lot of subjective wiggle room, and the diversity of human behaviour (and lack of understanding consciousness) means something like 40-60% of results aren't reproduced.

The effectiveness of therapists varies by method. I've found CBT and DBT quite effective in a practical way.
>>
>>3259848
Psychology is a scheme
In the 70s psychologist teachers falsified data and went in a war against the Psychiatry Association to remove homosexuality as mental illness in psychiatrist manuals.
All psychologists are social engineers and they don't care for the truth.
What drives a psychologist is how much he/she can make per session by giving ''tips'' to emotionally broken people
>>
>>3259959
I suspect you're leaving out details here. If they were unhappy enough to see a therapist about you, chances are they were better off without you in their lives. Therapists aren't obliged to glue shitty relationships together. Even your attitude to her generally being wrong betrays a kind of problem. You don't seem to understand that women often indirectly want comfort and reassurance after arguments, instead of some smug, stubborn refusal for compromise.

Being distrustful of therapists is a MAJOR red flag for negligent or abusive partners. They typically don't want some third party getting honest information about how they treat their partner, it removes the control they can exert in one-on-one situations.
>>
>>3260125
yes and?
>>
>>3260160
>these people don't agree with my preconceived opinion, it must be a conspiracy

Notice how 90% of conservatard objections to intellectuals are ideologically motivated rather than methodological.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.