[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gnosticism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

So I've been doing some reading up on the early Christian sects and briskly reading over the Gnostic stuff, it's left me slightly confused. I don't really see threads too often about this, so I don't know how many religion buffs are floating around.

Is there a gnostic "canon"? Does it include all the complete books in the Nag Hammadi Codex, or just a select few? This goes for the OT/NT as well -- books like Wisdom of Solomon and 1 Enoch are in or out? Or does it vary?

Is there a clear separation between Sophia and the concept of the Holy Ghost, or are they one and the same?

If the "hidden God" of the NT is good and the Demiurge ("LORD" of the OT) is bad, then wouldn't the narrative of Christ's death and resurrection fit in perfectly with the Gnostic narratives? I'm not entirely sure of how he fits in both the OT and NT narratives of the Gnostic tradition(s).

Thanks in advance for the answers.
>>
>>3259417

There aren't any genuine gnostics left because the lineages that Gnosticism require no longer exist. Reading PDFs about Gnosticism on the internet does not make you gnostic.
>>
>>3259751
>no longer exist
More like exterminated. At least reading Nag Hammadi helps you understand oh the gnostics
>>
>>3259825

The problem is like with every religious tradition, there would have been an oral tradition based on a master-student lineage, that accompanies the textual tradition. Which no longer reliably exists
>>
Sophia and the Holy Spirit have overlapping functions but they are not the same entity. The Holy Spirit is equated to God in Trinitarianism, while Sophia in Gnosticism is a lesser Aeon, which is of a significantly lower hierarchical status compared to the Monad (which would be God).
>>
>>3259751
Mandaeans still exist
>>
>>3259417
There was no single "Gnostic" sect. From what I remember it was almost used as a pejorative by Christian writers to attack Christians that delved to deeply into Greek philosophical concepts
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.