[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

History Book Recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

So lately with the whole "we wuz kangz" I really wanna educate myself better on Egypt(on their race and history) and just history in general , but I don't know what books I can trust on this . Same goes with the Civil War , since the whole remove Confederate statues is going on I don't want to get in an agrument with someone and not know my facts. I'm pretty sure Lincoln wasn't a good person and the Civil War wasn't just about slavery ,but I sound freakin stupid if I don't research it.
I'm super paranoid about history books lying after reading about how the holocaust may not of happened and I want to make sure I read the truth . So are there books about WWll or just Germany that tells what really happened ?
Oh and the Vietnam War! I wanna write a Vietnam x America fanfic
So yeah if anyone knows any good recommendations about those things and like Greece,Prussia,Rome,Revolutionary War, Crusades ,and just any history books y'all like I'd appreciate it (^.^)
>>
>>3258683

>>>/wsr/
>>
>>3258683

>Greece

Rise of Athens or Persian Fire or Alexander the Great

>Prussia

Iron Kingdom

>Rome

SQPR or Caesar or Rome's Last Citizen.
>>
File: his books.png (2MB, 996x1190px) Image search: [Google]
his books.png
2MB, 996x1190px
>>
>>3258725

Why is Genghis Khan imprisoned amongst the crap?
>>
>>3258729
He is such an important figure in forming the modern world that it would be misleading not to include a book that explains clearly why this is the case.
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 235x215px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 235x215px
>>3258683
>I really wanna educate myself better on Egypt
good.
>but I don't know what books I can trust on this
you can trust professional historians more than anyone else. while they're not always reliable you can be sure that non academic historians are either 1) trying to sell you something, usually an ideology or some slant on history to make you accomodate their worldview 2) popular historical works meant to make the author a buck. there are very good ones out there but for the most part they are overly simplified, cutting out or distorting any detail in an attempt to make it more relateable to the reader but usually also have an ideological slant, present a moralistic lesson or are too keen on sensationalism or sentimentalism. theres also the possibility that they do all this to make money off of you, so beware. 3) usually funded by a private organization to push an agenda. 4) dogmatic individual who wants to tell the "true story" because they believe that their view of history that they inherited from their parents or imbibed from religion or politics is the only "true" way of interpreting the world.
>>
File: 1474318162880.jpg (68KB, 699x485px) Image search: [Google]
1474318162880.jpg
68KB, 699x485px
>>3258764
>Same goes with the Civil War , since the whole remove Confederate statues is going on I don't want to get in an agrument with someone and not know my facts.
Thats good that you want to learn more about something. But it seems that your looking to go in with the intention of confirming your biases and finding the "hidden" or "correct facts to back up your worldview. There's nothing wrong with this when starting out with history, but you have to be prepared to concede that facts might
>>
>>3258764
>you can trust professional historians more than anyone else
Guns, Germs and Steel and The Lessons of History are examples of books written by professional historians, do you agree?
>>
>>3258781

I have yet to see a convincing refutation of GG&S. And no, posting a picture of 1 guy riding a Zebra does not mean that they can be domesticated like horses.
>>
>>3258776
cont.

not always align exactly with what you believe in. An openminded approach is better, and thats good because when you read in privacy you're free to come up with your own conclusions based on what you see rather than what you've been told since childhood or not.
>I'm pretty sure Lincoln wasn't a good person and the Civil War wasn't just about slavery ,but I sound freakin stupid if I don't research it.
That's good you acknowledge your ignorance, but be prepared to accept the plausibility that the opposite of what you feel is true, even if you conclude from your readings that your suspicions were correct. Try to imagine both sides of the argument and weigh which one is more plausible.
>I'm super paranoid about history books lying after reading about how the holocaust
It's a justified fear. You should always read critically and do not accept what you read at face value.
>about how the holocaust may not of happened and I want to make sure I read the truth
It seems like you've already concluded that the holocaust didn't happen without looking at the evidence. You have to be willing to concede that most trained historians who spent years looking at sources aren't lying to you, even if they get some details off.
>So are there books about WWll or just Germany that tells what really happened ?
So you want a book that "confirms" your suspicion? You might as well not bother reading at all if you already "know" the truth.>>3258781
>Guns, Germs and Steel and The Lessons of History are examples of books written by professional historians, do you agree?

>>3258781
What are you on about? Diamond is NOT a professional historian.
>>
>>3258781
>>3258811
Also Diamond falls into category 2 of pop historian. He was writing for a mass audience.
>>
File: 1491251984476.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1491251984476.png
1MB, 1440x900px
>>3258764
this has a section of books on ancient egypt OP
>>
>>3258764
Diamond is a biologist and Durant was a teacher with a PhD in philosophy.
>>
Can anyone tell me about this book? I've been wanting to read it for a long time and I checked it out at the bookstore, but I was turned off by someone comparing it to Game of Thrones on a back blurb and reading a tiny bit of it, it seemed to be half novel half history book, which turned me off greatly.

>>3258725
Jack Weatherford did nothing wrong.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.