[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Foucalt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: fuckault.jpg (61KB, 349x470px) Image search: [Google]
fuckault.jpg
61KB, 349x470px
I'm having a discussion with a friend who is leaning heavily to the left. I've finally gotten him to watch the interview with Jordan Peterson from 2015 just to get an idea of what I'm trying to familiarize myself with these days. Anyways, from the first ~45 mins his major points of critique are that peterson is very bombastic in his viewpoints, for example he's talking about there not being an absolute truth, but only true enough when you are analysing from a darwinian perspective and still he reduces some things and say something along the lines of "you can't get past that". I agree that Peterson is overly bombastic in some of his claims, although I think he does so only when the relevant presuppositions have been established. The other thing he had really strong objections to, was when Peterson is talking about postmodernism and says something like "there is a tendency to reduce everything to explanations grounded in a single motivation, and that is simply a manifestation of an archetype - monotheism. Freud did that with sex and Foucault did that with power. Almost all behaviour is brought about by a motivation or a set of motivations, and if you're sufficiently intelligent you can create explanation models where everything gets explained by a single motivation, but that's merely intellectual mastrubation". Sorry for paraphrasing, but I'm too lazy to look up the exact phrasing and I think the point gets across. Anyway, my friend really objected to the comment about intellectual mastrubation and particularly in relation to Foucault... so... here are my questions.

1) From what I've gathered Foucaults definition is a bit different from what we normally thing about power. Power is not only authoritative/governing/institutional power, but more of a permeating force within society that is inescapable but individually resistable. Is that correct? If so, wouldn't that mean that every interaction you have with every person is inevitably a form of power struggle?
..cont
>>
2) While I acknowledge that power is not restricted to authoritative/governing/institutional power and that influence/power can
be much more subtle, it also seems quite handy to be able to redefine the motivation you want to blame in such a way that it
is easier to claim this motivation to be the primary force. For example, if I am being unknowingly observed in a professional
setting by a younger employee, and I do an excellent/shitty job in such a way that the younger employee wants to strive for
excellence or adopt my shittyness, I have influenced this person, ie exerted power. How can that be an exertion of power
when I didn't even know I exerted it? This seems to indicate that Foucault does not consider power merely a motivation,
which kind of ruins Petersons argument, does it not?
>>
3) Foucault talks about resisting power when it feels intolerable to the subject. I admit I am not well versed in philosophy,
but if you're defining power as something everyone in society exerts onto you and you're advocating resistance based on subjective
emotions, it seems to me we're getting in to pathological territory where everyone is a potential enemy and you are the only
authority on what is legitimate resistance. He also puts emphasis on breaking with norms and taboos as an essential part of
such resistance, which seems like he presupposes that norms and taboos do not have any value other than mechanisms for exerting
power. Is that correct tl,dr of his stance on this? If so, it seems a bit dishonest as these norms have played an important role
in the survival and proliferation of humanity. How wrong am I about this?
>>
4) Is it valid to point out that when Foucault acted out his resistance, he did so in a manner that ultimately killed him,
and to claim that if living out his philosophy results in death, he essentially BTFO'd himself? (He basically wanted to go
all out with sexual behaviour that went against the norm and eventually died from AIDS.) Or is that a cheap shot?
>>
>>3256819
>If so, wouldn't that mean that every interaction you have with every person is inevitably a form of power struggle?

Not only on a personal level but on discrete bits of reality aka quanta. Information trying to leverage itself against other information in weird and innumerable games.

And wiser than your question is
"Most humans are faggots."

The ones who decry power are the ones who would abuse it. The ones who have power abuse it. The ones who don't know about power would abuse it if it fell into their hands.

I think the usage of "power" was sort of a messy box Foucalt put various and ambiguous (alas, not distinct as per the continental style) concepts. Like putting shirts in a box with overcoats, socks, and suspenders already in. It's messy and almost useless.

>to claim that if living out his philosophy results in death, he essentially BTFO'd himself?

Humans like to be faggots of the mundane. He was a gay hedonist who wanted sex. He didn't know about AIDS. It's not a cheap shot but it's a shot that applies to a lot of men. It's the punishment of a mechanical god to humiliate those who try to put the will, to pleasure and ecstasy, over the constraints and dangers of a world.

And put your friend in a black majority neighborhood. That will do more to get him to the right than any words. You have to SEE what humans are about. You will not understand by watching WEIRD* people lecture to other WEIRD people. Because most of the world isn't WEIRD.

* - Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich and Democratic
>>
>>3256819
>>/lit/
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.