[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American history: Democrats where the right wing in the past

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: whoa.jpg (101KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
whoa.jpg
101KB, 425x282px
American history:

Democrats where the right wing in the past and republicans the leftists?

How they changed roles in the New Deal?
>>
No. Roughly speaking...

Democrats = Populists
GOP = Business/Industrialists
>>
>>3254696
They didn't
>>
>>3254696
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_South
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
>>
>>3254716
I like that explanation.
In the past, the vast majority of American were living in rural communities and provided a base for Democrats. Meanwhile the Republicans were always supported by big business.
>>
>>3254772
>>3254716
Slavery was arguably the biggest business ever (no wages) yet were backed by the then Democratic Party. Stop being a partisan hack and look at reality you piece of garbage.
Hint: you can acknowledge this while also realizing that modern democrats are nothing like their 19th century counterparts
>>
>>3254696
>Democrats where the right wing in the past and republicans the leftists?
That wasn't the case at all. Read a book.
>>
>>3254788
I don't know what you're talking about.
The Republican industrialists wanted slavery contained.ended so 1) valuable western land wasn't used up by outdated slave plantations and 2) black labor could be used in factories.
Pro-slavery (usually Southern but some Northern) Democrats painted themselves as the "state's rights party" and defending the interests of the "little" yeoman against big business interests.
>>
The parties were big tents with both conservative and liberal wings until fairly recently.
>>
>>3254696
LBJ embraced the welfare state to chain the blacks into the democrat party for the next hundred years.
>>
File: 220px-Marcy_Gregg.jpg (15KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Marcy_Gregg.jpg
15KB, 220x293px
>>3254696

The Left-Right paradigm didn't really exist in the 19th Century, you could see what would be considered elements left and right wing beliefs in the doctrine of bot parties.

Ex. Republican abolitionists being Pat Robertson-tier religious fanatics and proslavery Fire Eaters being avowed fedora-tipping Atheists.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.