[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the Civil War about ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

With all the things that have been going on lately, i'm kinda lost. What was the Civil War really about ?
Slavery ? Cultural differences ? Economic reasons ? Were the southerners really the bad guys ?
Let's not turn this thread into /pol/, I want honest answers
>>
It was about slavery, yes. The Southern States wanted to keep slavery, the North had joined the rest of the civilized world in wanting to end it.
>>
>>3252999
did they really wage a war they had little chance to win just to continue to own slaves ?
>>
>southern economy (and society) is dependent on slavery
>north wants to, at the very least, limit slavery to the south and stop it spreading west
>lincoln wins the 1860 election on this platform (without any southern support)
>south realizes they lack the political power to keep slavery going in the future, so they secede''

I've also heard that secession was not universally supported in the South, but more average Southerners started supporting it when the U.S. Army started showing up. I don't know to what extent this is "dindu nuffin" revisionism though (One needs to be careful, because muh (((Lost Cause))) was the dominant narrative for 100 years of U.S. History, and many people still unironically believe it)
>>
>>3253018
They mobilized for an invasion from the North and through superior individual fighting ability and generalship prolonged a war that should have been over in a summer.
>>
>>3253024
Wasn't their idea basically to shock the North into accepting it, and gain foreign support?
>>
>>3253021
East Tennessee was so pro-union that when the rest of the state seceded they tried to secede as a section back to the US. Their right to secession was then denied and they were occupied by the Confederate Army where they fought a guerrilla campaign, burning bridges and ambushing confederates. Lincoln personally heralded their bravery and called them 'true American Southerners'. It's a shame that now in cities like Knoxville and Kingsport you have idiots waving Confederate flags when in all likelihood their ancestors wore the blue uniform or were hanged as a partisan.
>>
>>3253031
>It's a shame that now in cities like Knoxville and Kingsport you have idiots waving Confederate flags when in all likelihood their ancestors wore the blue uniform or were hanged as a partisan.

Lad, I see the Stars & Bars flying in (rural) Illinois and Wisconsin these days.
>>
>>3253029
There was no grand strategy. The Confederate Congress was toothless and Jefferson Davis was just a bad letter writer who's only accomplishment was signing cheques for the Army. Each army, each general, each state had its own goals and interests and none of them were aligned. The CSA was doomed from the start and would have doubtlessly fractured whether the US invaded or not.
>>
>>3252996
It was about the individual states rights to The Peculiar institution of slavery. The Democratic states felt that the federal government was no longer going to be subsidizing slavery and that terrified them so they decided to make their own government that would subsidize slavery.
>>
>>3253046
so it was a revolt against the federal gov that took the shape of a fight for slavery ?
is it why the libertarians love the confederates so much ?
>>
The CSA left due to slavery but the North went to war to defend/reunite the Union. The Emancipation Proclaimation was only issued after the North victory at the Battle of Antietam. Its a more complex issue than just slavery and boiling it down as such does a diservice to everyone, putting us in the position we are today.
>>
>>3253021
>it when the U.S. Army started showing up
Cunts shouldn't have bombarded union forts.
>>
>>3253083
Agreed, just (cautiously) offering an explanation I've heard as to why a Southern pleb without much stake in slavery might have taken up arms for the cause.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.