[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most fascinating and underrated war. Discuss it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: ruska.png (294KB, 3250x829px) Image search: [Google]
ruska.png
294KB, 3250x829px
Most fascinating and underrated war.
Discuss it.
>>
What's going on in Vladivostok? Was it a massive front?
>>
>>3251869
Thats where the USA and Britain invaded.
>>
If nothing else I have to hand it to the Soviets for keeping their retarded meme country in one piece for so long
>>
>>3251877
I meant in regards to front size, was it generally "Skirmish-tier" compared to the Western fronts or was it massive with hundreds of thousands of troops?
>>
>>3251881
600,000 reds vs 100,000 Allies (mostly Japanese and former Austro-Hungarian troops).
>>
>>3251900
How the hell did they even manage to supply that many troops with such a clusterfuck going on in Russia?
>>
>>3251881
>>3251900
Here talking about this area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Eastern_Republic
Sometimes the Allied numbers listed are much higher (like 100,000 japanese alone, and more Allies), but I think these include the navy personnel that didn't actually fight anything.

>>3251905
The Reds? Pillaging the countryside. Or maybe it was voluntarily given, choose your own version.
The Allies? Through Japan and China, as in trading with Japan and forcing China.
>>
File: Battle on the Steppe.jpg (373KB, 620x492px) Image search: [Google]
Battle on the Steppe.jpg
373KB, 620x492px
>>3251865

This map is over-complicated for the sake of being over-complicated. I couldn't even tell it was the Russian Civil War until I opened the pic.

A significant portion of the "governments" it lists never existed, or if they did, were so tiny and irrelevant that they probably didn't exceed a single group of dudes in a hotel room. Others, like in the case of the Soviet Far Eastern Republic or the Primorye Government, only came into being when the Civil War was basically over, so they wouldn't be sharing a map with 99% of the combatants shown.

Though by far the most egregious offenders are the random Siberian/Far Eastern ethnic groups suddenly being listed as independent states despite having populations in the low thousands, living hundreds of miles away from any city of importance, and without any political institutions. Then, for some reason, it leaves out actually notable figures in the RCW, like Semyonov. Also just noticed while typing that last sentence that Kolchak's Government is thousands of kilometres away from where it actually was, and is somehow separate from Siberia (???)

>>3251869
>>3251877
>>3251900
>>3251905

Most of the interventionists, the Americans especially, sat aground guarding munitions depots that they were reclaiming. The Brits actually did some fighting in the Far East and around Archangelsk/Murmansk. The Japanese also did some fighting, but usually contended themselves with supplying warlords like Semyonov and Kalmykov.
>>
>>3251908
>The Reds? Pillaging the countryside. Or maybe it was voluntarily given, choose your own version.
God dammit how dumb of me, I had entirely forgotten about the "War Communism" policy they used

>>3251911
That's interesting. Is "The Russian Civil War" by A. B. Murphy and F. Patrikeeff a good book on the Russian civil war? Are there any book that focus on the Eastern part of the Russian civil war?
>>
>>3251911
There was a "green" government (as opposed to the whites (nationalists), blacks (anarchists) and reds (communists) ) that setup in the peninsula and it was very much a real thing, and supported by the USA, Japan and Britain, though Japan wasn't subtle with its desire to just annex the area as its own.
>>
>>3251911
Would you say that Stalin's idea of reclaiming land by adding it to Russia (like Tatarstan) was better than Lenin's idea of reclaiming land by adding it to the USSR (like Ukraine)?

I mean obviously today Tatarstan is still in Russia and Ukraine isn't, but what was the price paid to achieve that?
>>
>>3251925

Never read it personally. My googlefu has only shown me that one guy was apparently turned off that most of the documents come from the Don Army, so I wouldn't hold my breath for much Siberian/Far Eastern content.

>>3251926

I'm interested in a source for this, and a clarification of which peninsula. Are you thinking of Green Ukraine in the Primorye? Because that wasn't really a "Green" territory in the sense of being against the Reds & Whites, but rather just a region that was heavily settled by Ukrainians and had its own very brief and unimportant hotel government.

>>3251939

It isn't entirely accurate to make such a clear division between Lenin and Stalin's policies regarding minorities and the national republics. The Bolsheviks and later Communists always had a schizophrenic policy when it came to figuring out how to rule the non-Russians, or let them rule themselves.

Obviously, in retrospect it would have come out better for Russia to directly integrate the territories so they wouldn't have broken away so easily in 1991. But that's projecting their policy nearly a century into the future, and not taking into account the Reds fervently-held belief (before Stalin) that Russia was just going to be one element of a global Soviet Union.
>>
>>3251962
>so I wouldn't hold my breath for much Siberian/Far Eastern content.
Shame, any particular books you can recommend me on the Russian Civil War?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.