[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did so few French colonists move to Louisiana? What would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Why did so few French colonists move to Louisiana? What would be different today if more French moved over? Would Louisiana be in the same situation as Quebec or would they have been independent?
>>
File: 1433657151962.png (163KB, 2400x920px) Image search: [Google]
1433657151962.png
163KB, 2400x920px
>>3251733

Louisiana, or at least the southern part of the state, was very franco oriented up until like the 1930s. My whole grandparents generations first language was French. Their parents and everyone before that never even learned english. And we are only here in the first place because of ethnic cleansing by the eternal anglo from Canada. I guess most of the French colonist didnt really go there because it was the wildest of the wild west at the time, and only people in the southern port of new orleans or french fur trappers way up in like Montana ever ventured there.
>>
>>3251739
Can you explain this image to an anglo? What makes Central Louisiana and Acadiana better than the other three areas? I've heard New Orleans is nice in parts but has been ruined by gang violence
>>
>>3251749

Central Louisiana-This is where Huey Long and the Long dynasty is from

Acadiana-this is the heart of Cajun population and culture in Louisiana. Everything that makes Louisiana Louisiana,food, culture, ect is from here

Baton Rogue-our capital and where LSU is. Its full of shitty fratbros and blacks. This is sort of an inside joke for anyone who lives there.

New Orleans-pretty self explanitory. full of black gangs and crime. Its LITERALLY a grimy, sleazy gross city that has an auroma thats something of a mix between cheap cigar smoke, stale beer, piss, and vomit. While the culture here is also great and a bit different from Acadiana, it is being "Disneyfied" for lack of a better word if that makes sense.

North Louisiana-The people here dont even seem like they are from Lousiana. They have typical anglo names and speak like they are from Mississippi or Arkansas. while cajuns are a distinct sort of redneck, these are just your generic kind of redneck
>>
File: indx.png (83KB, 322x996px) Image search: [Google]
indx.png
83KB, 322x996px
>>3251733
>Why did so few French colonists move to Louisiana?
Because Mainland France was great (unlike the shithole that was England)
French kings tried stuff to get some people to move there, but no one felt like leaving comfy France

>What would be different today if more French moved over?
France would have won the French and Indian War (Brits barely won it due to massively outnumbering the French) and all history would be completly different
>>
>>3251749

North Louisiana is shitty because it's heavily populated by people from Arkansas, but one could argue it's just as shitty as southern Arkansas. New Orleans and Baton Rouge are self explanatory. Central Louisiana is good with the exception of Alexandria.
>>
>>3251772
Doesn't New Orleans have a pretty cool jazz history? I get that it's poor and violent but there is something to the city.
>>
>>3251772

I'll pay y'all a dolla to bust up my chifferobe.
>>
Jigga city we out chyea

The French obviously don't like mosquitos
>>
>>3251739
your a dorable
>>
>>3251733
cause there was nothing to attract people there
it was a massive, uncharted, injun-populated wilderness

best they could do en masse (fur trapping was good for exploration but not settlement) was farm along the Mississippi - which is prone to flooding
or try to get plantations going in the southern part of the territory, except the Caribbean (namely Saint-Domingue) was already accomplishing that

and if a Frenchman wanted to move to the New World his first choice would likely be Canada since it had a huge head-start on development/colonization, and even if the winters are brutal, you'd likely be more used to it than the sub-tropical fuckery of Louisiana (as far as they knew/settled)

this is why the lasting French culture in the area came from Acadian refugees who had nowhere else to go
>>
>>3251733
there were few incentives for frenchmen to move to the wild west. They would have to establish ranching colonial towns and would have to deal with native american tribes with horseback archery. at least quebec had the fur industry and Louisiana was a escape route for acacian rapefugees.
>>
>>3251733
>What would be different today if more French moved over?
This is dependent on a lot

By when exactly would there be a substantial enough French population that the US would/could not expand further west (or create a Quebecesque situation if they did)?

If that's the case...why are they going there?
keep in mind they're bringing the baggage of French politics as they've experienced it, i.e. if they're all fleeing the chaos of the 1790s/early 1800s

and, this is important, what's the state of France's other colonies?
if France still controls Canada (i.e. before the 7 Years' War), Louisiana would have a direct link to the core of French colonization on the North American mainland
and if it's before the Haitian Revolution, but w/o Canada, they're a lot less isolated
>>
>>3251733
My great great grandfather fought in franco-prussian war worked on the first attempt at panama canal, contacted yellow fever went to new Orleans worked on the docks and got hit on the head with a crate fell in the Mississippi River and drowned to death. :'(
>>
>>3251806
The level of delusional nationalism in this post.
>>
>>3251806
>French kings tried stuff to get some people to move there, but no one felt like leaving comfy France

That's because unlike British N.America, New France was the same feudal bullshit as Old France back home, except in a more primitive and difficult environment.

Unless you were hardy and willing to live in the forest like an Indian, (and very few could pull that off) conventional life for the common Frenchman in New France was just as shitty so why bother going?
>>
>>3252803
>Doesn't New Orleans have a pretty cool jazz history? I get that it's poor and violent but there is something to the city.

Only the French Quarter, the rest of Chocolate City is a typical Black ghetto.

Downtown Detroit is nice also but everything around it is shit and NO is the same.
>>
>>3254404
t. someone who doesnt live in new orleans
the "french quarter" to tourists is the quarter, bywater, and marigny, which is where most of the crime happens. most of the other neighborhoods are pretty nice actually
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.