[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the first two Reichs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: Hitler.jpg (78KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Hitler.jpg
78KB, 1024x576px
What were the first two Reichs?
>>
>>3250381
Google
>>
>>3250381
First Reich
>H
>R
>E
Second is pre-WW1 Germany
>>
File: hre.jpg (102KB, 476x598px) Image search: [Google]
hre.jpg
102KB, 476x598px
>holy
>roman
>empire
and
>unified
>german
>empire
>>
Reich just means empire.

So 1st reich = HRE
2nd reich = Imperial Germany
>>
>>3250381
Fun fact: Each of the three Reiches were destroyed by France
>>
>>3250483
The first two definitely but the 3rd was only partial involvement. Relly, the ruskies killed the 3rd Reich
>>
>>3250483
Fucking Poland probably did more than France in that war.
>>
>>3250381
>Holy Roman EMPIRE
>German EMPIRE
>Third ... REICH
Anglos are fucking retarded.
>>
>>3250483
How did they destroy the third one?
by cowering in the canals and waving a white flag until the germans had pity with them and laid down their arms?
>>
>>3250483
wtf i love france now
>>
>>3250816
you are confusing strategic retreat with surrender. French President Trump News Conference never stopped resisting Germans, and it payed off, since France won at the end.
>>
>>3250603
ikr
it's too bad that there is no cognate in English anymore (I think Irish people still say rijk or something)
the closest would be 'realm'
in Norwgegian we can say things like 'innenriks' meaning 'domestic' but literaally 'within the reich/realm'
but we can also say 'skogriket' meaning 'the forest realm' without any political connotations
>>
>>3250381
>>
>>3251627
All countries in the EU are bound by treaties, something literally all nations are, at any point they can leave, as Britain has done, the EU's nothing like a complete political entity, there's fuckloads of edge cases and exceptions everywhere.
>>
>>3250592
No such thing as "Poland"
>>
>>3250392
No. Reich literally means realm.
>>
>>3251822
Well no such thing is going to outlive several other countries west of their border.
Maybe people will call it the Fifth Reich.
>>
File: 2az.jpg (576KB, 2260x2177px) Image search: [Google]
2az.jpg
576KB, 2260x2177px
>>3251830
>trying that hard to make English look close from German

Top kek
Your word for "reich" is "empire" (a literal unchanged French word), deal with it frog rape baby
>>
>>3251837
But that's wrong you fucking retard. The meaning of the word Reich is realm. The correct translation of empire to German would be Kaisertum, or Kaiserreich, which again, literally means "emperor's realm."
>>
>>3251848
Reich means Empire
Kaiserreich means Caesar's Empire
>>
>>3251853
Alright since you're this retarded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reich

>Reich (/ˈraJk/;[1] German: [ˈʁaJç] (About this sound listen)) is a German word literally meaning "realm". The terms Kaiserreich (literally "realm of an emperor") and Königreich (literally "realm of a king") are used in German to refer to empires and kingdoms respectively.

>As such, the term Deutsches Reich (often translated to "German Empire") continued to be used even after the collapse of the German Empire and abolition of the monarchy in 1918, without any imperial connotations.
>>
>>3250603
It's not an exactly 1:1 cognate word. Similar enough for Anglos though. Also, it was THIRD from the perspective of the Nazis. No one called it the second Reich until the 1930s.
>>
>>3251837
Reich means realm you retard, do you think the Germans call France and Autstria empires?
>>
>>3251975
Dunno, but Realm of the Franks or Empire of the Franks, fact is they call the French Franks
>>
>>3251975
In Austria's case I am not entirely sure...
>>
>>3251978
>they call the French Franks
well, technically they where, I mean at least the nobility of France was of Frankish origin. The peasantry not so much of course.
>>
>>3251975
Austria has been a powerful empire for most of history, while German states were just weak shits in its sphere of influence, so why not?
It would kinda be like Skyrim nords calling Cyrodiil "the Empire"
>>
>>3251990
The Germans change their language all of the time, do you think they wouldn't change that. They change their anthem because they think it has too much of a connection to the Nazis.
>>
>>3251990
>Austria has been a powerful empire for most of history, while German states were just weak shits in its sphere of influence
Somehow I get the idea you don't know much about how the HRE worked in the medieval.
>>
>>3251622

The Dutch say 'rijk' for reich. For example France is called Frankrijk ('rijk' of the Franks)
>>
>>3251993
>The Germans change their language all of the time,
Aha, like high medieval German to early modern German?
>>
>>3251996
I do
It had a strong core (Austria) and a sphere of influence (current Germany)
>>
>>3251622
same same in german, reich means a lot of different things and is context sensitive.
>>
>>3252008
This. Free of context (German is often contextual, like with Mache) it means realm.
>>
>>3252004
Austria didn't became really relevant until the 14th/15th century. during the high medieval it was largely unimportant.
>>
>>3250582
>>3250592
>>3250816
>the absolute state of /his/

I seen recently a short program about the exact same question, it was said that there never was a first or second Reich, the third Reich being a nazi concept refering to what people say here, HRE and German Empire.

>>3251858
Fun fact, realm comes from the French word reaume.
>>
File: IMG_2064.jpg (40KB, 750x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2064.jpg
40KB, 750x700px
Shut up retards
>>
>>3252229
what is even your point? He is right from the start, Reich means both realm and empire
>>
>>3252271
Bad translation, anyone who speaks german/dutch/scandinavian knows it doesnt mean empire.
>>
>>3251978
And? It's etymologically historical. I wouldn't look into it too deeply.
>>
>>3252271
And the translator also says realm=reich
>>
>>3251993
Languages gradually change all the time, anon.

>>3252655
This.
>Anglos ITT: let me tell you how your language works!!!
>>
exactly, Austria in Norwegian is Osterriket (the Eastern Reich)
it makes no sense to translate it to Empire in that sense

and I looked it up, realm and reich are etymologically connected
both stemming from Latin rex (king/ruler/powers) which ultimately is a Celtic word
>>
>>3251858
Is the word in anyway related to "reach." That's just what I've always assumed.
>>
>>3253631
No, they are not. Reach (as in with your arm) is attestable in old English, with Germanic roots (ultimately PIE).

You may be confused by the "ch" which in English has a sound as in cheese, cheddar, chump, Charles, more from the teeth and front of the mouth. In German languages ch represents a throaty hissy H sound like in "loch", or JS Bach. In some German dialects (traditionally more in North Germany) it can be a K sound, as reflected in spellings of the Scandinavian languages, for example.

Austria's German name comes from 'Eastern kingdom/state/realm', as in Charlemagne's time, when it was the easternmost possession. Reich comes ultimately from PIE 'rule', which also meant straight (leading in a straight line, things to do to be on a 'straight' path). This is reflected in the fact that a "ruler" in English can mean a political leader, or a tool to draw/measure straight lines.
>>
>>3250603
>Heiliges Romische REICH
>Zweites REICH
>Drittes REICH
>>
>>3250483
There's not a single French commander listed in the invasion of Germany. Also DeGaulle was a typical arrogant selfish frog nationalist who turned his back on the countries who liberated his natoon.
>>
Huh, I always thought the First Reich was Rome since the Nazis were such Romaboos.
>>
>>3251640
Have you ever seen anyone as pathetic as an EU 'nationalist'?
It's like Germans have been forced to internalise their pride for so long, they can't show patriotism or else they could turn into NAZIS and as a result they have to express it through their shitty knock-off USA (that probably won't even exist in a decade), and take any slight towards it as a personal attack.
Take your salt back to r*ddit, Hans.
>>
>>3255622
Only in terms of aesthetics, and for inspiring civilization in the barbarian forest tribes. It's not a German reich, though.
>>
>>3252271
>>3252655
>>3252700
WRONG
>>
>>3255645
Gr8 b8 m8.

Google translate knows better than a born-bilingual English/German speaker who studied and works in linguistics.
>>
>>3255667

Not the guys you've been responding to - but do you know why Germany after the anchluss decided to rename Austria (Osterreich) To Ostmark if Reich simply means realm?
>>
>>3251622
>>3251848
>>3251858
>>3255564
If you speak of a "Reich" in the political sense it's assumed that you mean either a "Kaiserreich" or a "Königreich", both of which have nouns in English (empire, kingdom), and "Reich" is merely a shortened version for convenience, especially if you speak of "das Reich". As a geographical term "Reich" means "realm" or "dominion", and if you say "Frankreich" you don't mean "the kingdom of the French", but the "dominion of the French" in the sense of "the area where the French are, regardless of their political system". Since states tend to stay in the same place, it's in no way remarkable that the political term implies a place, and that the geographical term implies the local political system.

>>3255685
It sends the message, that Österreich is not a separate place or system to the German Reich, but that the Österreicher belong to Germany both politically and ethnically. A "Mark" refers to an area at the border of a Reich. In the Middle Ages the "Markgraf" (margrave, "borderlands-Earl") was meant to protect the fringes of the Reich against invaders and was therefore granted certain military privileges. So after the Anschluss when Österreich became borderlands to a larger Reich, in accordance with the medieval tradition it only makes sense to make it a Mark.

>>3253614
In the Middle Ages all those were "regna", such as the "Lotharii regnum" ("Lothar's dominion/realm"). At that time rule was focused on the person, not a state in the modern sense, which is illustrated by the fact that Charlemagne's children and grandchildren simply renegotiated the breakdown of their realms several times. While Louis I "the Pious" was king, he sent his son Louis II "the German" to Bavaria to rule and manage the "regnum", however he wasn't called "king OF Bavaria", but "king IN Bavaria" since this was still his father's dominion.

>>3255645
Yes, that's right. The adjective"reich" means "rich". Now fuck off.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.