[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Burundi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: region-burundi.jpg (103KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
region-burundi.jpg
103KB, 1000x563px
Can some explain to me how some Rwandan refugees that moved over in the 50's and only made up 13% of the population managed to not only dominate, but carry out huge genocides of the Hutus? Preferably without resorting to "Africans are subhumans". How did the Tutsies not only take power in a country that is mostly Hutu, but also genocide 80,000-120,000 of them?

And why haven't the UN just split the two groups up instead trying to force them to inhabit the same country and have the same government? If I was Bill Clinton during those peace talks in 2000, I would have said "alright, just split the fucking country in two and be done with it, one for Hutus one of Tutsies."
>>
Tutsis controlled the military and were able to use fears of communism spreading in the DR Congo and great lakes region to keep themselves supplied.

As for splitting the countries up, borders didn't do much to stop armies racing across borders in the Rwandan genocide or Congo mega war.

Not to mention, to split it, you'd need to enforce the split with ground forces.
>>
File: a2c6c6c4fe96dfeb607419ebbc9da5c3.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
a2c6c6c4fe96dfeb607419ebbc9da5c3.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>>3247344
Tutsis are of superior racial stock with aryan heritage
>>
>>3247529
Add onto it would be fucking rediculous to split them because they never were separate societies. They speak the same language, have always lived side by side in the same societies. They're more like castes then ethnic groups, Tutsis are pastoralists, Hutu are agricultural laborers. As recently as the late 19th century there were people elevated to the tutsi status.
>>
>>3247344
The Tutsi were the victims of the genocide, not the perpetrators. They had created a Tutsi kingdom in Rwanda through conquest prior to the country's colonization, and already had a lot of discriminatory laws and such in place when the Belgians and Germans took over. They continued this discrimination and favored the Tutsi. After WW2 a Hutu counter-elite developed and there was a revolution in 1959 and lots of fighting until the early 1990s. You had all these armed groups who cut their teeth fighting in the Ugandan Bush War and all the other shit going on there through the latter half of the 20th century. When a peace settlement was reached in 1993 lots of these dudes were still out in the woods with their AKs. The Hutu presidents plane got shot down and these armed Tutsi groups were blamed for it. The genocide was "revenge" against the Tutsi for the decades of oppression the Hutu suffered under their rule, even though Rwanda has had a Hutu-led government for decades by the time it happened.
>>
>>3247684
OP was talking about Burundi
>>
>>3247532
WE
>>
>>3247344
>why haven't the UN just split the two groups up instead trying to force them to inhabit the same country and have the same government?

Because that's awfully arbitrary as fuck.
>>
I feel like you might be getting confused OP. There were two genocides in Burundi, the first carried out by the armed forces in the early 1970s. At that time, unlike in Rwanda, Tutsis still made up a bulk of the governing class, by virtue of some shady appointments made by the king, who was Tutsi.

1972 (?) Genocide was a response to attempted Hutu uprising against perceived Tutsi corruption, carried out primarily by the military.
Mass killings were more an attempt to end riots than wipe out the Hutu population, but the murders were not indiscriminate - members of the Hutu upper and intellectual class in particular were targeted.

The second genocide, this time against Tutsi, broke out for almost identical reasons as the Rwandan incarnation - literally the same helicopter crash that killed Rwandan president Habyarimana killed the Burundian president, allowing Hutu power groups to seize power in the country.

>And why haven't the UN just split the two groups up instead trying to force them to inhabit the same country and have the same government?

Because that'd be nuts. Not to mention modern Rwanda (and to a lesser extent Burundi) have had the most extensive reconciliation of any country post genocide anywhere.
>>
What is the political situation in Brundi these days ? which group is in power ?
>>
>>3250097
It's tense. I'm writing a PhD on comparative experiences of national reconstruction in Burundi and Rwanda, and you'd be hard pressed to find two countries with more similar demographics and less similar standards of government and development.

Nkurunziza (Burundian President) is a Tutsi, but like Rwanda the government is made up of a mix, parties are no longer split along ethnic lines for the most part. Still, corruption is rampant, the army is totally undisciplined, and huge portions of the country lack access to essential services.

The respective capitals of Rwanda and Burundi, Kigali and Bujumbura, could be on different continents. Calling Rwanda the Singapore of Africa, though an exaggeration of its economic prosperity, was consistent with the six months I spent there. Bars, good public schools, good healthcare, very little street crime.

In Bujumbura I had to pay street kids to negotiate with """""""""soldiers"""""""" at checkpoints in dodgy parts of the city. I was followed home by men wearing officer uniforms half a dozen times.

Anecdotal of course, but pretty telling.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.